The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&A

Truth be told Dave, I sought out the hard, directional light of sunset to bring out the textures of the grain and the shapes of the hills. I think the harshness you refer to is more a consequence of my processing as noted by Will. Unfortunately for me, it was very hazy that evening and I was committed to using long lenses, which just exacerbate the lack of contrast. I concentrated on restoring contrast to the scene and went too far.
If that 1st image is to be salvaged, I think a slight crop on top and the lower third will retain the interesting textures.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the insight and explanation. I think I now understand the necessity of somewhat harder, contrasty lighting to bring out the textures and layers of this sort of landscape. I've often run across certain landscape images of mine that sort of beg for increased contrast but in doing so (in post processing) , often leads to a degree of destructiveness and I end up abandoning the attempt. I've also traveled to certain locations that I know beg for a certain type of lighting but often luck is not on my side and the images taken of a well known subject/landscape ends up a far cry from what I envisioned.

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
It's lovely Tim!
Thank you, and thanks to all for the 'likes'...

I took this whilst shooting the Achro and the regular 260 for a review I was writing. It was not an easy shot: focussing for IR work, especially when using movements as in this shot, is not a walk in the park... but what a fascinating piece of equipment the Achro is...

Thank you, and thanks to all for the 'likes'...

I took this whilst shooting the Achro and the regular 260 for a review I was writing. It was not an easy shot: focussing for IR work, especially when using movements as in this shot, is not a walk in the park... but what a fascinating piece of equipment the Achro is...
Achro :bugeyes: .... (covers ears)
I can't hear you
I can't hear you
I can't hear you
I can't hear you
I can't hear you
:cry:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Great follow up story in on landscape magazine.
Thank you, I am glad you liked it. It's always hard to know how much detail to into and I could have written an entire book ofnthe 260 and Achromatic so I hope I got the balance right!

etrump

... I hope I got the balance right!
I would say you did. I have been considering the achromatic myself. I think it holds great promise for someone who does exclusively B&W in large prints. I could see someone like Clyde Butcher doing great work with it. For someone like me who sells less than 5% B&W it would be an indulgence play but still tempting.

Nathan W. Lediard

From a recent wedding... managed to fight off the rain and then mosquitos to get some nice stuff down in the deep dark woods...
H4D-40 HC150 f3.2 1/45s f3.4 iso 400 tripod of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.