The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrump

Cherry Creek State Park, CO
Phase One IQ180/Cambo WRS AE/Rodenstock 23mm HR-S

You are posting some great work but this one is puzzling me. Are you trying to show the conflict in this scene? Normally a stream is used to lead into the frame but the way you have composed the tree totally blocks the invitation. The additional clump of trees behind it blocks the scene even further. I'm curious about your thoughts on this one.

Ed

MaxKißler

I love them.
Macros are not the faster at autofocus in general.
F16 is very "deep" the model needs to have top makeup and good skin.

Love the colors too.
Any tip about the F16 selection?

Best regards.
J. Duncan
I was glad the 120mm did have auto focus at all, but next time I'll choose the 150mm. I went for the 120mm because I wanted to be able to capture details aswell. In the end I didn't do so but Fortuna favours the prepared, isn't it what they say?

My comment about f16 being the breaking point was in regard to diffraction. The gain in depth of field is not worth the minor loss of overall sharpness in my opinion. It's not much but it's there. I wanted to have both eyes sharp even with her head slightly tilted sideways but in the end it's all a matter of magnification anyway.

Regards

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote,

You are posting some great work but this one is puzzling me. Are you trying to show the conflict in this scene? Normally a stream is used to lead into the frame but the way you have composed the tree totally blocks the invitation. The additional clump of trees behind it blocks the scene even further. I'm curious about your thoughts on this one.

Ed
Thanks very much Ed for your thoughtful comment from my hero! I really appreciate it.
It's a complex and an interesting scene to me. The water flow and tree form a triangle. It just looked good to me when I shot it. Probably it's not:)

have to agree with Ed on this one.

Cheers, S.

Thanks very much my friend!

Pramote

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Pramote,

Ed
I'm going to get heat for this one. Ed its a first date you can't get past 1st base but if you do there is no way in hell your getting past 2nd base. So the invitation has some caveats.

I can feel the emails coming. Flame suit on

Pramote I do like the shot.

Shashin

Cherry Creek State Park, CO
Phase One IQ180/Cambo WRS AE/Rodenstock 23mm HR-S
Unlike Ed, I really like this. I find with the water and then the tree crossing the stream there is a visual path into the landscape. Like the tonality as well. I also like you taking on what is normally ignored in landscape which are events like wind throw. Natural order and human ideas of order don't always mesh, but I really think you have a compelling image here.

etrump

It just looked good to me when I shot it. Probably it's not:)
First, I did not mean to imply it was not an interesting shot. My apologies if it came across that way, just the opposite. I didn't understand what attracted you to photograph the scene in that way so I was picking your brain more than anything. It is perfectly acceptable to have an image that speaks in ways not obvious to the viewer.

Your response brings up more important subject: sometimes we get stuck in our rut of photographing images with technically good qualities in terms of subject, exposure, focus, composition etc. Venturing into the dangerous territory of telling a story or expressing our emotions visually is more problematic. It is comfortable to play it safe and only post images that you are sure will get approval and likes from the masses. A great sunset with fire in the sky is bound to elicit a positive response. Guy's post recently of that little bridge was a totally different type of image because it evoked a deeper emotion (in me anyway).

IMHO we only move beyond our current ability to express our artistic talent when we step outside that comfort zone of like-ability. Opening yourself up to possible criticism is scary to the fragile little artist egos living inside us that drives us to photograph.

More specifically, we've watched your work on this board improve by orders of magnitude in the past year or two (time flies). Hopefully my work has improved as I would guess everyone who frequents this board. Don't be too quick to crawl back in your artist shell with "Probably it's not", feel free to explore why you were attracted to the image without judging yourself. :)

What I think you will find is your frame of mind has a lot to do (maybe subconsciously to some extent) with why you saw something in the scene. Once we embrace that paradigm the idea of good or bad suddenly changes to how well did I communicate my vision or emotion. A different and much more constructive discussion than "is this a good image? yes or no".

OMG where did all that come from?

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm going to get heat for this one. Ed its a first date you can't get past 1st base but if you do there is no way in hell your getting past 2nd base. So the invitation has some caveats.

I can feel the emails coming. Flame suit on

Pramote I do like the shot.
I will say this Pramote has my Cambo AE model and he is certainly doing justice with it. I want it back. LOL

Thanks very much Guy! I really appreciate your kind words.
I also have to thank you for selling me the Cambo WRS AE with a great price and free technical support :) It is a fantastic camera and I love it more and more everyday.

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Unlike Ed, I really like this. I find with the water and then the tree crossing the stream there is a visual path into the landscape. Like the tonality as well. I also like you taking on what is normally ignored in landscape which are events like wind throw. Natural order and human ideas of order don't always mesh, but I really think you have a compelling image here.
Thanks very much Will for your kind words! This is the complex scene I was not sure how it would come out when I took it. Great to hear thoughtful comments from friends here.

Pramote

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
First, I did not mean to imply it was not an interesting shot. My apologies if it came across that way, just the opposite. I didn't understand what attracted you to photograph the scene in that way so I was picking your brain more than anything. It is perfectly acceptable to have an image that speaks in ways not obvious to the viewer.

Your response brings up more important subject: sometimes we get stuck in our rut of photographing images with technically good qualities in terms of subject, exposure, focus, composition etc. Venturing into the dangerous territory of telling a story or expressing our emotions visually is more problematic. It is comfortable to play it safe and only post images that you are sure will get approval and likes from the masses. A great sunset with fire in the sky is bound to elicit a positive response. Guy's post recently of that little bridge was a totally different type of image because it evoked a deeper emotion (in me anyway).

IMHO we only move beyond our current ability to express our artistic talent when we step outside that comfort zone of like-ability. Opening yourself up to possible criticism is scary to the fragile little artist egos living inside us that drives us to photograph.

More specifically, we've watched your work on this board improve by orders of magnitude in the past year or two (time flies). Hopefully my work has improved as I would guess everyone who frequents this board. Don't be too quick to crawl back in your artist shell with "Probably it's not", feel free to explore why you were attracted to the image without judging yourself. :)

What I think you will find is your frame of mind has a lot to do (maybe subconsciously to some extent) with why you saw something in the scene. Once we embrace that paradigm the idea of good or bad suddenly changes to how well did I communicate my vision or emotion. A different and much more constructive discussion than "is this a good image? yes or no".

I think this is well said and it really drives home a point here. Below my signature says it all and its something we all need to do is go out and experiment, taking chances get out of your shell and explore. What draws me still to this forum everyday and lets be honest, I'm a pretty good shooter but I still learn from others and I enjoy watching the growth in the members here. Be it a Pro, Hobbyist , Student or whatever the growth in folks ability to create Art here is astonishing . After many workshops and a lot of repeat participants It tickles me to death to see them getting better with every new image they create. Watching people grow on this forum for the last 4 years is just simply amazing and I give a ton of credit to those that seek out the best in them plugging away at it. Its just ****ing inspiring as hell.

You folks keep my spirit up. I'll leave it at that

malmac

Ed

I am impressed - I feel the conversation on this image has flushed out some interesting introspection from your good self.

It is food for reflection.

Mal

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member

Ed...Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment and advice!
You are one of best photographers who have always inspired me. Your friendly suggestions and complements are always appreciative.
The GetDPI is liked home to me. That's for sure!
Lots of you may not know I've been learning and stealing ideas from your pictures you've posted :)

Pramote

AlanS

Nice to see that you are not color blind Alan :)
I have admired your 4x5 B/W photos.
And I can see that you will keep up your good work in color also

Ray
Thank you Ray. I will do my best to keep advancing my craft. It is great to get such positive support from yourself and others on this forum who's work I admire.

Mammy645

I found a Rolleiflex 3.5F in an antique store a couple of months back, it was in good condition but in desperate need of a CLA. I got it back from the repair shop the other week and here's a couple of shots from the first test-roll. Gotta say I love the character of the lens, it reminds me of Hasselblad V lenses, which makes sense considering they're both Zeiss I guess.

Portra 400, f/3.5, 1/8th of a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.