The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here's a few more from Pictured Rocks - from last year. Bill may have seen this shoreline from his boat tour. I believe that Remnant Color which is Grand Portal Point is just above Bill's shot.
Like to go here someday. Looks very interesting to me

WildRover

Guy,

First off, thanks for a wonderful site. This is a nice place to visit, hang out and share our work.

Pictured Rocks is a special place, for me anyway. It has some ext ordinary rock and sand features, long stretches of sand shoreline, waterfalls, inland lakes, a quiet deep woods charm, and most compelling is Lake Superior itself. Although there are a fair amount of sites close to the road, it's not really a road touring park. You have to get out and do the hikes. Generally, the hikes are easy compared to high elevation western areas. Some are short, but the best cliff areas near Mosquito and Chapel beach are about a three mile hike from the trailhead. Another mile and a half to the Grand Portal Point area. The park is easiest to photograph at sunset because it is canted to the west and the cliffs light up beautifully at sunset. This means that if you want to photograph some of the best cliff and shore areas, then it's either backcountry camping, or what I do, a long hike out with a headlamp. I've had a couple occasions of close by rustling, snorting and then a wild crashing through the underbrush - not me, but the night creatures I've come across.

Pictured Rocks is tucked away high in the midwest between Lakes Superior and Michigan and is far away from either coast. I think this helps to keep the visitation relatively low. A new super highway has been built between Munising and Grand Marais (compared to the twisting, narrow, rutted, washboarded, sandy, dusty, beautiful adventure of a road that once was). Zip, zip, and you can be from one end to the other in no time. What a shame. Anyway......if you ever decide to do some photography here, let me know. I might be able to help you plan your trip.

Rick

WildRover

Unusually nice B&W. Almost looks like film :)
Jorgen,

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you could find your way out of the Solar quagmire to take a peak over here.

These were with the Pentax 645D, so I'm glad you think they look traditional or classical - film like. Just processed in Lightroom and then to Photoshop. With Ghost Forest I did the black and white conversion with Silver Effects Pro. It's a new program for me, so I'm not too comfortable with it yet. To me, Ghost Forest and The Crowd seem a bit muddy, due only to my decision making while processing.

I took a short workshop with Charlie Cramer some years ago, and one of the things I remember is that after the image is processed with no clipping, he would do a lock down curve and then purposely clip the very darkest tones so as to produce a bit of total black. Also, something Jeff Schewe does is to add a very small amount of grain in Lightroom (1 or 2 setting - lots of roughness) which he says adds the appearance of more sharpness and also adds the look of grain. Lastly, as I've mentioned before in previous posts, I use Tony Kuypers TK Actions which really seems like cheating because it's so easy and has tremendous effect. I also do luminosity masking using his actions.

I only have the ability to print these small at the time, so not real sure what they will look like properly presented.

Thanks again for your comment.

Rick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.