The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Hurst

Hey Pramote,

In almost every way, I love this shot! Just one thing... Maybe I am being pedantic, but do you happen to have a version with the whole bench (the one on the left) included? The way it is cut off seems slightly abrupt to my eye.

Thanks so much for posting your wonderful work.

All the best,

Ed

Denver City Hall
Phase One IQ260/Cambo WRS AE/Rodie 23mm HRS

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Pramote

I do like this image very much . :thumbup:

But the converging lines , IMHO , lower the good image very much .
You obviously have 5 big spots on your sensor , which you can not see on the posted image .
But what is that in the background of the sky ?
It looks like a kind of canvas .

I took a screen shot , reduced the converging lines a bit and worked around a bit with SILVER EFEX PRO .
The more contrast you put into the image , the more you will see what I mean .

Please have a look to my attached sample .

View attachment 78421

Click on the small image twice and you will see the test image enlarged and see what I mean .
What I say should not be understood as criticism . I would just like to understand what happened.

Best Jürgen

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hey Pramote,

In almost every way, I love this shot! Just one thing... Maybe I am being pedantic, but do you happen to have a version with the whole bench (the one on the left) included? The way it is cut off seems slightly abrupt to my eye.

Thanks so much for posting your wonderful work.

All the best,

Ed
Thank you very much Ed!
Yes I cropped the left side to be agony with the right side of the image.
Same here to you! I truly enjoy and appreciate your quality work.

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Pramote

I do like this image very much . :thumbup:

But the converging lines , IMHO , lower the good image very much .
You obviously have 5 big spots on your sensor , which you can not see on the posted image .
But what is that in the background of the sky ?
It looks like a kind of canvas .

I took a screen shot , reduced the converging lines a bit and worked around a bit with SILVER EFEX PRO .
The more contrast you put into the image , the more you will see what I mean .

Please have a look to my attached sample .

View attachment 78421

Click on the small image twice and you will see the test image enlarged and see what I mean .
What I say should not be understood as criticism . I would just like to understand what happened.

Best Jürgen

Hi Jurgen..Thanks very much for your kind comments!
Not at all! I appreciate your friendly comment. I've learnt every day from this forum.
The spots are something annoying. I was probably too tired to fix it :)
The lines you saw happens when you manipulate the picture too excessively, especially in B&W. It is a sensor limitation, even the IQ180 has them. I've seen quite frequently when I use " Saturation/Structure" in Silver Flex Pro.

Best,
Pramote

Shashin

I just liked it. I shoot full-frme and so I use the entire image area. If I showed the whole apple, then I have lots of space top and bottom. I think this is a nicer solution. I also think by hitting edges you are creating more intimacy--you are so close you can't show the whole thing type of idea. I also chop the top off people's heads for the same reason. I don't mind cutting the side as psychologically the viewer will complete the shape. I think if I were shooting a square format I might show the whole fruit, but then again, maybe not.

There are other thing going on here as well which are very subtle. The surface is titled forward which makes the apparent perspective a little odd, but not obviously odd (you also need an apple that does not have a flat bottom). The background is not vertical.

Anyway, I wanted to blog about apple varieties in Maine, but not be too obvious in the presentation, part of that was in the crop, part of that was not using perfect fruit. I shot a handful of apples and I was just having fun with the setup. I was looking for something that would work with all the apples. I also found the crop useful on one apple to hide a cut. Over the next few weeks I will post the rest. For the most part, the style seemed to fit the apples I had, although I might reshoot one if I can find the variety again--the one photographed was honored by join us for dinner.

If it is any conciliation Tom, my wife did not like the cropping either, at least not until it got posted. It is growing on her. Regardless of the photo, it is a great apple. Or to be more precise, it was a great apple... ;-)

Here is the setup.

Different apple (you will see it later). The stage has a goniometer to change the plane. It also rotates and slides forward and backward. A simple softbox above. What is missing is a fill card I hold under the apple during the exposure. (One other note, the lights are LEDs I bought at Lowes. I wanted to see if I could get good color from the household variety.)

Oh, one more thing. I know I should not say this as it will open up a whole can of worms, but this was shot at f/32.

But that is probably more than you wanted to know... (Maybe I should have just said I am too cheap to buy a bigger studio.)

Last edited:

alajuela

I just liked it. I shoot full-frme and so I use the entire image area. If I showed the whole apple, then I have lots of space top and bottom. I think this is a nicer solution. I also think by hitting edges you are creating more intimacy--you are so close you can't show the whole thing type of idea. I also chop the top off people's heads for the same reason. I don't mind cutting the side as psychologically the viewer will complete the shape. I think if I were shooting a square format I might show the whole fruit, but then again, maybe not.

There are other thing going on here as well which are very subtle. The surface is titled forward which makes the apparent perspective a little odd, but not obviously odd. The background is not vertical.

Anyway, I wanted to blog about apple varieties in Maine, but not be too obvious in the presentation, part of that was in the crop, part of that was not using perfect fruit. I shot a handful of apples and I was just having fun with the setup. I was looking for something that would work with all the apples. I also found the crop useful on one apple to hide a cut. Over the next few weeks I will post the rest. For the most part, the style seemed to fit the apples I had, although I might reshoot one if I can find the variety again--the one photographed was honored by join us for dinner.

If it is any conciliation Tom, my wife did not like the copping either, at least not until it got posted. It is growing on her. Regardless of the photo, it is a great apple. Or to be more precise, it was a great apple... ;-)

Here is the setup.

Different apple (you will see it later). The stage has a goniometer to change the plane. It also rotates and slides forward and backward. A simple softbox above. What is missing is a fill card I hold under the apple during the exposure.
I agree - Sometimes the crop (or cropping when shooting) makes the image much more interesting. I don't think we have to be fixed on an orthodox style (rule).

tsjanik

Here is the setup.

.................But that is probably more than you wanted to know... (Maybe I should have just said I am too cheap to buy a bigger studio.)
On the contrary, it's very interesting. That's quite a "stage" you're using. It appears to be the equivalent of a Cube to position the apple!

I once tried to produce a series of simple images of beautiful fruits. I wasn't really successful; the only one I was happy with is below.

IMGP5053 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Grayhand

(Taken with a Mamiya 6)
Really a good one Will.
The globe afloat in the dark space.
And I am sucker for the square format!

But it did trow me of track for a moment with regards to what I was looking at.
Then I suddenly realized that it was the globe!

But you had it turned in a strange way that just showed a remote and isolated part of the world.
Instead of showing the civilized parts of the earth.
A very unusual way to present it :confused:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.