The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ed, a village near us is called Ugley, so one can only imagine marriage announcements along the lines of "Ugley woman marries...." :) Actually quite a nice village.
I used to think the we British had some of the quaintest village names, with 'bottom' being quite common and historically sometimes even places with cleft hills/valleys having 'a..e' as the name although long since gentrified. However, after moving to the US I was intrigued that not too far from Boring, Oregon we also have a place called 'Wanker's Corner' - obviously in honor of Mr W vs the English slang meaning. I kid you not. :poke:

ondebanks

IHowever, after moving to the US I was intrigued that not too far from Boring, Oregon we also have a place called 'Wanker's Corner' - obviously in honor of Mr W vs the English slang meaning. I kid you not. :poke:
Well, what else is there to do with oneself in a place that's Boring? :angel:

Ray

Shashin

Sashin

I really like your abstract! Would you mind sharing the technique?
It is simply intensional camera motion (which I have learnt, ironically, is a movement (ICM) and you can Google it). I just move the camera during the exposure. I does take a bit of practice, both with duration, relative speed, and relative direction(s), and the post processing is really key. The camera preview does not really show the detail and tonality in the image. In this image, the sky, water, and rock each have their own layer mask for the right tone curve, although my moonlight landscape I posted in the previous page uses a simple curve. I have been playing with this for a couple of years now. You might be surprised at how hard it is to move the camera and keep the horizon level--I shoot full frame and so do not crop my images in post. Lots of trial and error, but when it works, it is really interesting. And viewfinder blackout on a DSLR just makes the whole sport so much more fun. ;)

synn

I live pretty much on the equator, haha. The stars were from a royalty free image. Possibly from the southern hemisphere! :)

scott kirkpatrick

Here's a minimalist approach to MF. I wanted a panorama of modern Jerusalem, seen from the west side, encompassing a new bridge with its prominent pillar and cabling, several funky cell-phone towers, three museums, ugly government office buildings, the national bank, the Knesset, university athletic facilities full of high school kids, and large construction projects., all seen from the top of our new computer science building. Tried micro 4/3, Leica M240, but the best results so far come from my little Hasselblad point 'n shoot SWC/M with a P45+ back on it. I put it on an equally small Manfrotto table-top tripod and perched it on the edge of a five story drop, picking it up and reaiming it for five overlapping shots. PTGui did the matching and blending. Had to reduce it 2X before Pbase would accept the "original."

Oh, the little white object in the center of the sky is a security observation balloon. Arik Sharon was lying in state just in front of the Knesset when the picture was taken.

scott

Ed Hurst

Ed, a village near us is called Ugley, so one can only imagine marriage announcements along the lines of "Ugley woman marries...." :) Actually quite a nice village.
I used to think the we British had some of the quaintest village names, with 'bottom' being quite common and historically sometimes even places with cleft hills/valleys having 'a..e' as the name although long since gentrified. However, after moving to the US I was intrigued that not too far from Boring, Oregon we also have a place called 'Wanker's Corner' - obviously in honor of Mr W vs the English slang meaning. I kid you not. :poke:
Well, what else is there to do with oneself in a place that's Boring? :angel:

Ray

Oh, the places I could go to with this discussion! :)

Re. Ugley, my favourite story about it was the problem experienced by the Ugley Women's Institute, who apparently applied for permission to change their name to Women's Institute (Ugley Village Branch) and were declined...

Believe me, some of the examples I came across when researching the books defy belief. Others are funny only to people with a slightly wry mindset. We can all understand the awkwardness residents must experience when telling their friends that they live in Shitterton or Slutshole Lane or Rimmer Avenue or Titty Ho or Mianus or Wangerland or Big Bone Lick or Wet Beaver or Twatt or Sandy Balls or Muff or Fingringhoe or Beaver Close or Scratchy Bottom or Wetwang. Or the Austrian village of F**king. Or the Swiss village of C*nter. It takes a slightly more obscure turn of mind to chuckle at Lickfold or Inchinnan Drive.

By the way, all of these are totally real places, so I assure anyone of a delicate sensibility that there is no gratuitous swearing going on here (even if one accepts that such a thing exists). Indeed the books I co-wrote had as their aim the debunking of the myth of rudeness in these names, leaving us free to enjoy their cultural diversity rather than pandering to the whims of puerile titterers or censorious puritans.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here's a minimalist approach to MF. I wanted a panorama of modern Jerusalem, seen from the west side, encompassing a new bridge with its prominent pillar and cabling, several funky cell-phone towers, three museums, ugly government office buildings, the national bank, the Knesset, university athletic facilities full of high school kids, and large construction projects., all seen from the top of our new computer science building. Tried micro 4/3, Leica M240, but the best results so far come from my little Hasselblad point 'n shoot SWC/M with a P45+ back on it. I put it on an equally small Manfrotto table-top tripod and perched it on the edge of a five story drop, picking it up and reaiming it for five overlapping shots. PTGui did the matching and blending. Had to reduce it 2X before Pbase would accept the "original."

Oh, the little white object in the center of the sky is a security observation balloon. Arik Sharon was lying in state just in front of the Knesset when the picture was taken.

scott
Scott,

You might want to try loading it here directly as it appears PBASE still didn't take it...

scott kirkpatrick

Scott,

You might want to try loading it here directly as it appears PBASE still didn't take it...
Jack, the original was over 50 MB, and Pbase took it once I got it down to 24 MB. It does seem to be coming up, just not always quickly. Anyway, don't you limit posted pictures to 2 MB?

scott

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Scott, I don't tink we have a MB size limit, but do resize to 1200 pix max for browsing convenience. In fact, even at that, we get complaints about our site too slow loading from many EU members with outlying net service. Regardless, your pbase image is not loading at all for me and I have excellent net.

scott kirkpatrick

Scott, I don't think we have a MB size limit, but do resize to 1200 pix max for browsing convenience.....Regardless, your pbase image is not loading at all for me and I have excellent net.
I hate to shrink something like this, since it is fun to scroll around in all the little details. How can I put up something easy to load and still big enough to see, with BB or HTTP commands that let it expand into the big deal, served at my expense, for those brave enough to click on it? Like this?

And maybe your ISP is blocking Pbase because of something else they have done recently?

scott

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Weird. Appears to be a Safari issue. Running Safari and have a fast net connection and all I get is a black rectangle. I can save it to my desktop in a flash and view it fine. If I open it in a dedicated it starts to DL then goes black. I can see it with Chrome. Regardless on our site it loads full then resizes to our 1200px and takes a few secs to load.

Scott, for bandwidth reasons mostly for international users with lesser net connectivity, we've limited posted size to 1200 pixels, so even if you BB embed to a larger version, it will display at 1200. So the best option when you want to share a larger image is to upload a large version and a normal one, post the web one with a regular link to the larger. We used to have a dedicated forum for large images, but it got filled with a lot of images with great detail, but an overall lack of artistic content. Within a few months traffic died off so we killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.