The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Lloyd-

Yes, I used a tripod. I have been shooting on and around the Mall for many years; the rules are fairly fixed but their enforcement is completely arbitrary. I have been thrown out of and away from all of the monuments many times in the past fifteen years because one of the National Park Police or Rangers take it into his or her head to accuse me of "erecting a temporary structure," or some other rule. One of the reasons I migrated from a 5x7 view camera to Hasselblad was that I was continually asked for my "commercial license." I actually tried to get a commercial license once to avoid this harassment, and was laughed out of the police media office (which issues such licenses) with the explanation that they are for big film crews with trucks and cranes. This explanation helped me nada the next time I was harassed. I have found that with the Hassey and tripod, I can pretty much complete my shoot and get out before they kick me out.

That being said, here are the real rules, roughly. You can have a tripod anywhere on the Mall itself, as long as you are not on the 1) the steps of the Lincoln or Jefferson, 2) on the paving stones or walkways of the Franklin or Washington, or anywhere on the Capitol grounds at all, anywhere on that block bound by the streets surrounding the Capitol. If you understand and stick to these rules, you are less likely to be hassled.

Mal: as for the cropping, this is a pretty tight crop for me (done with my feet). I am better known for putting the human structures into their proper perspective, which is small buildings and big sky and foreground. I will post a more tradition (for me) shot of the Capitol later this morning.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
US Capitol just after midnight when both Houses were still in session last September after failling to reach agreement to keep the government open.
This is more typical cropping for my Capitol photographs.
H4D-60 with HC100, ISO 50, f/11 at 11 seconds.

Quentin_Bargate

Ha! thanks, Pramote, great mono shot of Big Island! I have a sort of love hate relationship with monochrome. I think somewhere deep down inside I prefer Mono to colour. I forget to mention filters, but the Cornwall shots used Lee 0.6 and 0.9 ND grads.

Quentin

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Ha! thanks, Pramote, great mono shot of Big Island! I have a sort of love hate relationship with monochrome. I think somewhere deep down inside I prefer Mono to colour. I forget to mention filters, but the Cornwall shots used Lee 0.6 and 0.9 ND grads.

Quentin
Quentin...Your processing is fantastic. I've also seen potential for B&W in many of your photos.
I love B&W more and more. Maybe I've just gone back to my root when Ansel Adams' photos and books first kindled my interest in landscape photography. Monochrome is like "Zen". Colors can sometimes be distraction.
Pramote

Last edited:

Grayhand

I was only 300 km away, so I had to go and check out my favorite spot.

Söderåsen nature reserve

Ray

AFDlll, Hartblei 45mm, P45+, two wet feet..

AaronK

More snow this weekend in Pennsylvania. A friend and I went out and the snow started yet again. I had prepared by making waterproof bags out of 1 gallon freezer bags, slitting the bottom and stretching the lens hoods to fit the slit, then using some gaffer tape to tape the bag to the lens hood. I made one for the 55 mm and the 80 mm lenses. They worked great.

The snow can be seen in the shadows still pelting down. The camera stayed nice and dry, even with the bag left open - sort of like a rain poncho. I only stepped through the ice a few times (ankle deep), and the waterproof boots saved me some grief. I can't stand being stuck inside :LOL:

IQ140, 80 mm lens, 3 image panorama, Phase One 645AF

I uploaded a full resolution image of another shot from today to Flickr. I am still staggered by what 40 MP looks like....

etrump

We're having a rough winter here, with too much snow for my liking. After shoveling the driveway twice today I needed to forget about the snow for a while. So here's what I looked at:

P21+, Mamiya 150 mm lens, Phase One 645AF. I think this was something like a four image stitch. I can't remember. I hope spring gets here soon..
Where was this image captured Aaron? Lovely image, the composition light and color are fantastic. :thumbs:

cunim

"Lieutenant, the Academy may not have fully explained the austerity program."
IQ180, 90 HR
Captions anyone?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.