The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonga

I have usually posted my photos of trains and medium format film images on other GetDPI threads, but I'll add a few here. Nothing as majestic or interesting as the steam locomotives....just a few shots of Alaska Railroad boxcars.

Gary

503CXi with the CW winder, 60mm CFi lens, Velvia 100

553ELX, 50mm CFi lens, Velvia 100

dchew

Awesome subjects of late; love the locomotives. Gotta drag David Duffin out to this thread. Here's one from when he graciously took me around Calgary and Banff.

3-image focus stack. Alpa STC, IQ180, 70hr.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Don's great series using the Phase 240 reminded me how much I love that lens. The web-sized jpg can't show how virtually every leaf on the aspens is visible in a large print.

dchew

Bill,
What a wonderful atmosphere you captured there in the Wyoming shot. I think the 150 is my favorite too.

Dave

pnwmf

Mother nature was screwing with the seasons a few weekends ago - got this one on the Oregon Coast, the wreck of the Peter Iradale. 'Tog in the shot got his feet wet a few waves after this.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Tom & Dave! It's not hard to get good shots in WY - it is a spectacular state!

In fact the location was on a gravel road somewhere southeast of Sheridan.
Bill

ondebanks

Should have gone out 2 hours earlier to avoid the haze...a rare quiet and clear night for this winter...
240mm + 2x TC

Moon takes about 1000 pixels across so not bad for a 1MP image ;-)

One good Moon deserves another...

Mamiya 645AFD, Kodak DCS645M back, Skywatcher 80ED refractor (600mm f7.5).
Heavy crop: 1000x1000 of the 4072x4072. Moon is ~650 pixels across.

This is what Roger Clark refers to as a "Focal Length Limited Apparent Image Quality" scenario. I.e. a smaller sensor with smaller pixels would be better suited. But still, one uses what one has. When I took this in 2010, I had no other digital interchangeable lens camera.

The telescope FWIW costs ~ €400/$400 new. It's fine for this sort of thing, but is generally not a medium format long tele solution as it needs an extra field flattening unit and even then, the 2" focuser would vignette.

Ray

Ed Hurst

Great shot and story. Is this the railway that extends to the northwestern part of China? I always dreamed of going there during winter to take photos of steam engines. Very, very envious... :)
Hi Jorgen,

That sounds like the one! Here is a brief intro. to the line:
Jining

Interesting thing is that despite being steam operated until 2005 (and was the last place in the world where a main line type railway used steam locomotives), the line actually wasn't opened until 1995!

For a relative youngster like myself, this was the holy grail - i.e. a chance to see main line steam for real, in mountainous, wintry conditions, hauling coal trains that even two large locos. were often on their hands and knees on the climbs. Wonderful stuff. I went three times and would still be going now if the steam were still there. Happy days, sadly missed.

Ed

Ed Hurst

Quentin, jlm, Will, Graham, Tom, Jorgen and Bill - thanks so much for your kind words on the steamy shots (which I will stop posting now!).

Graham, Tom, Nathan. Gary and Dave - lovely railway shots! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.