The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildRover

Absolutely stunning Tom. Very beautiful. You've posted some great images of late. Congratulations on your efforts.

600 monster? 400?

Rick

WildRover

Shot at 1600 with the intention of blending other frames at 400…but the moon was racing faster than my brain. So just worked with the 1 noisy 1600 image. Cemetery was a bit of serendipity as I didn't see it - didn't know it was there in the dark. Pentax 645D 400mm. One has to wonder how the "Z" would have rendered this.

Rick

tsjanik

Absolutely stunning Tom. Very beautiful. You've posted some great images of late. Congratulations on your efforts.

600 monster? 400?

Rick
Thanks Rick. I used the 120mm A for that shot. I've seen that lens accused of harsh bokeh, but it looks good to me.

Tom

Shashin

I am not a food shooter (and certainly not The Foodshooter (I am more an eater than a shooter)), but here is an image of our blackberry pie my wife made this week. These are some of the blackberries we harvested from our land last year. We freeze a large amount to use for the rest of the year. The best way to thaw them, IMHO, is in a pie crust with a little honey and lemon juice. I think we have enough berries to repeat this a few more times.

I need to get a cup of coffee...

...and another slice of pie.

Grayhand

From "The Fun department".

I have about 60 rolls of old Kodak E6 film, at least 10 years or more past "best date".
So I decided to give one a try, and it works good! Rather blue tone but except for that, Gooood :D

Ray

Fuji GS645S, 60mm, Kodak Ektachrome 64.

Close to home

Grayhand

From "The Fun department" #2.

I bought a new Mamiya 6 camera with 3 lenses a few weeks ago.
This is the fifth such camera I own. And they just get more fun for every year that goes by :chug:

Square is hip! (just for the readers above 50 years of age or so)

Ray

Mamiya 6, 75mm, Portra 400.

Close to home

New version! First suffered in conversion for WEB..

Last edited:

WildRover

Over the winter, Gary (Bensonga) posted that his friend, Brian had a nice Pentax 25mm for sale. I couldn't resist, and am now the proud owner of that lens. The transaction went smoothly, and I would recommend to anybody to consider buying from Gary or Brian if other offerings become available.

Here are a few from the 25mm.

Rick

Last edited:

Grayhand

Rick, this area was once a small industrial area with a blast furnace and heavy use of water to power different parts of the processes.
And it has been rebuilt and rebuilt and...
Behind me is a small hydro power station and you can see the watertube for the turbine to the left.
So what is in front of me is part of old walls.
A lot of nice structure to waste some silver on!

Ray

PSon

I am not sure if this fit here but since there is no Foveon sensor in medium format, I thought this could be a tease to a wish for the future of medium format Foveon sensor. Well at least in this photo, it was taken with the medium format lens.

Hasselblad Planar C 80mm at F2.8 + Sigma SD14

Last edited:

tsjanik

From "The Fun department".

I have about 60 rolls of old Kodak E6 film, at least 10 years or more past "best date".
So I decided to give one a try, and it works good! Rather blue tone but except for that, Gooood :D

Ray

Fuji GS645S, 60mm, Kodak Ektachrome 64.

Close to home

I have to ask Ray, how long has that boat been there?

Tom

Grayhand

Tom, I moved to this location in the winter 2010/2011 and the boat was already in this position.
But based on my experience from other boats of this kind I would guess that it is at least 10-15 years that the boat has been here.
It will now deteriorate quickly when most of the tar is gone from the botom.

This is the normal destiny for the old boats that the lokal people built them self in the previous era of "self-supporting".
A sad ending, but makes often good photo subject..

Ray

WildRover

Any thoughts on how the 25mm compare to the 35mm, one of my favorites?

Tom
Tom,

Once I decided on the 645D, I started acquiring lenses, and it has grown into quite an arsenal. Of all my 67 and 645 lenses, the 645-A 35mm has been my favorite as it compliments my shooting style well. Probably 75 to 80 percent of my photos on the 645D have been taken with that lens. It's a sharp lens and I feel I'm getting the quality - sharpness wise - as when I was using a 4x5. I'm getting much better results than I got with my 67 using the 45mm lens, due in part that all my old 6x7 work was hyper-focused (I bought into all the rubbish about circles of confusion, and viewing distance and all the other pontifications that were just excuses for not having a sharp image). With the 35mm, I almost never shoot hyper-focally. I usually try using f/11 and shoot several slices and combine them later with either ZereneStacker or Helicon Focus and rarely Photoshop. I'm usually using 3 or 4 slices at f/11, but that all depends on how close I am and sometimes its as many as 6 or 7.

I have only used the 25mm a couple times so I can't say too much yet with any authority, but I can give some initial impressions.

The photos I've taken with the 25mm so far have all been single image captures. The depth of field with that lens is so great that all that business of focus stacking and extra photoshop work can be reduced significantly. But……I was using a smaller aperture to insure focus and thereby introducing a bit of diffraction. Of course I can always focus stack for the sharpest possible image. Perfectionism vs Lazynism.

Because of the large depth of field, I think this lens is going to open up a lot of "small world" type of images like the pond shots. Shots that I wouldn't have considered before where I can get close and explore the little spaces.

As I'm sure you are aware, it's big and relatively heavy. Not that big a deal, but it will limit lens selection on longer hikes with a concern with keeping the pack weight down. You can't use a front filter. I like having a good quality (B+W) filter on my lenses so any cleaning will be done on the filter and not the front lens element. It makes me a little nervous to have the front of the lens exposed. I also use split neutral density filters a lot. Almost all of my lenses, with few exceptions, have the Lee adapter ring mounted to the lens front. I use the Lee hood which accommodates the rectangular filters. It makes it very easy to shade and use the filters. With the 25mm, it seems the built in petal hood comes out too far to mount the Lee holder without getting vignetting. I don't like the idea of hand holding the filter. I'll have to play with this some more and try to come up with some kind of solution. (The first - Japan only - 25mm has a shorter hood and I've seen solutions for that lens that work with the filters).

The 35mm has an aperture ring and the 25mm has to be set with a dial - no biggy.

I think it's going to be harder to shoot with regards to perspective control. I'm not used to something this wide, and if the lens is out of square, it's going to produce converging lines. This can be used creatively, but most often can be problematic. I imagine the Tech Cam crowd were cringing with the pond photos I posted. The distortion is very apparent with those. The other shot with the grasses and lone tree, I used the vertical transform tool in Lightroom to straighten the trees in the corners and thereby cropping the image.

Chromatic Aberration is very apparent, but cleans up easily but not always entirely in Lightroom. My solution might be to take a double whack at it in photoshop.

I think I will really like this lens. Most of it's issues can be mitigated with careful craft and technique. I think it's going to open up all kinds of imaging possibilities.

I'll post some of my 35mm photos that use slices and yesterday I used the 25mm, so I'll post that shot also.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.