The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

carstenw

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

"Moonrise" is also one of my favorite Ansel Adams shots, and apparently his own favorite, and I also recognized the reference immediately. Really nice shot.

Here is the story of Ansel Adams' version:

http://www.anseladams.com/content/ansel_info/ansel_ancedotes.html

He just had time for one negative, and couldn't find his light meter!

I can heartily recommend "Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs", Ansel Adams, which has the story of this shot (as above) and 39 others, in some details.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Not to bad really, just like the simulator.
Some others on the plane really raised a ruckus, but a one engine go-around in a 757 is not all that hard. One woman refused to board the replacement plane.
The worst part for me, which is not part of the simulations, is the smell of burning bird in the cabin (yuck). I recommend plucking them before burning them. I will have to have a word with GE about that.
I scream more when the dow falls 800 in a couple of hours :ROTFL:
At least the three bottles of Papillon I had in my suitcase made it through unharmed.

I have a list of several passengers' emails who want copies of the shot.
-bob
Okay my sick story I worked for Honeywell for 16 years and they build aircraft engines among other things ala Allied Signal was the name before they merged with Honeywell . Anyway I kid you not they had to do bird tests . Now here was the trick they had frozen chickens and a engine on a test bed and they shoot the birds right on in to see what damage they would create. Now folks it sounds sick but these test are mandated by the FAA. I been in many experimental corporate jets and we shut down one engine all the time for testing and yours truly used to shoot the instrumentation to document what the controls are doing. I do have a few war stories on flying, how about weather radar. Normally you go around storms in aircraft, not us we went right through them for testing the weather radar. Now obviously a different story when you are not expecting a engine to go down and well over a 100 passengers would create a little emotion for sure

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Okay my sick story I worked for Honeywell for 16 years and they build aircraft engines among other things ala Allied Signal was the name before they merged with Honeywell . Anyway I kid you not they had to do bird tests . Now here was the trick they had frozen chickens and a engine on a test bed and they shoot the birds right on in to see what damage they would create. Now folks it sounds sick but these test are mandated by the FAA. I been in many experimental corporate jets and we shut down one engine all the time for testing and yours truly used to shoot the instrumentation to document what the controls are doing. I do have a few war stories on flying, how about weather radar. Normally you go around storms in aircraft, not us we went right through them for testing the weather radar. Now obviously a different story when you are not expecting a engine to go down and well over a 100 passengers would create a little emotion for sure
I have never run into a frozen chicken,
They are usually pretty well thawed by the time they gain that much altitude:ROTFL:
The chicken canon is indeed a well known test, but the specs call for a thawed chicken. It was I think a british rail test of their windshield (maybe urban legend) that pioneered the use of a frozen chicken. As you can imagine, the chicken went right through.

My favorite aviation midair strike story is when an Alaska Airways flight had a mid-air strike with a salmon that had been dropped by a passing eagle.
The worst part of that story was the paperwork, not to mention the ribbing the pilot probably received.
-bob

The files from my Betterlight Super 6K were equal to the best drum-scanned 8x10 I ever shot -- essentially the best image file I have seen.
Not bad, then. :LOL:

routlaw said:
I have been given a number of high res files form the Hasselblad H3D II 39 MS camera
I have to admit, I'd forgotten about MS MFDBs being an option. I presume taking four MS shots is quicker than one 1-minute scan shot?

I also notice that Betterlight prices don't seem to have changed over the last few years? I still think they're good value IQ/$, but if they have to stay at this price point to maintain a profit, MS MFDBs will sooner or later catch up.

routlaw

I have to admit, I'd forgotten about MS MFDBs being an option. I presume taking four MS shots is quicker than one 1-minute scan shot?

I also notice that Betterlight prices don't seem to have changed over the last few years? I still think they're good value IQ/$, but if they have to stay at this price point to maintain a profit, MS MFDBs will sooner or later catch up.
Not having actually demoed one of them yet (its coming up though) I don't know for sure how long it takes but would suspect some half minute give or take a few seconds.

Yeah other than changing to USB from SCSI the scan backs have not really changed that much over the years. I once heard somewhere that it cost Betterlight as much money to make one of these things as it does the MFDB's companies to make their backs. At new list prices the Super 6K-HS is slightly less than half of the H3DII-39MS. But if you need instant capture with great image quality thats the price of admission for now.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member

I still own a Jenoptic Eyelike M11 multi-shot back. It is a Phillips 35mm size sensor, built before Phillips sold the whole unit to Dalsa. It is "only" 11 MP. But it does 1, 4, and 16 shot captures. Using 16 shot captures, I would have to say that it rivals or exceeds the scanning backs, and is way far ahead of any of the single shot MF capture devices. My Aptus 75S is not even close. I use Digitar lenses with it, and obviously digital shutters for control when doing 16 exposures to form one image. The color fidelity, resolution, and tonal range are truly something to behold. I've never seen anything else come even close in ultimate IQ, including scanned 8x10 film. Move up to the 22 MP version of this same back, and in my opinion, it far exceeds anything else ever made. I haven't used the Hasselblad version, but I can imagine it would also be simply stunning.

The downside though is my back is only ISO 32, and this can not be changed. Due to the nature of shooting 16 captures to form one image, it must also be shot tethered to a computer, and does require a very substantial tripod or shooting stand like I use in the studio. At the current price of these MS backs used, they are a real steal if you are looking for the ultimate IQ for tabletop or stationary work.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Mamiya AFDIII /28 mm. (Love that lens!) The island is in Georgian Bay, Ontario.
Bill

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Bill, that is a stunning image --- I'd work it for a bit more dramatic sky and print it!

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thank you, gentlemen. I agree about the sky, though it appears in the pic as I saw it. I'm always a tad reluctant to "overdo" mother nature!. Interestingly, in a print the sky is naturally a bit darker and thus more dramatic.
Bill

irakly

we have the first snow in detroit! it was worth commemorating :)
C645/P25, Visatec Litepac, a bunch of idiots.
the helicopter is real, i swear!

Don Libby

Bill - Stunning image! Wow what a shot please keep sharing.

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

the helicopter is real, i swear!
Creative capture Irakly! By being real, what do you mean? IOW was it a real helicopter from another shot pasted in, or were both the main subject and it part of the same single frame of capture? I ask because the guy in the tux pointing a weapon is significantly less focused than both the helicopter and the main subject, yet is between them --- so assume he or the copter or both had to be composited in...

irakly

Creative capture Irakly! By being real, what do you mean? IOW was it a real helicopter from another shot pasted in, or were both the main subject and it part of the same single frame of capture? I ask because the guy in the tux pointing a weapon is significantly less focused than both the helicopter and the main subject, yet is between them --- so assume he or the copter or both had to be composited in...
good eye jack! it's a long exposure with refocusing and multiple pops. i missed focus on the james bond guy. makes me want to reshoot him separately and OMG I AM NOT SAYING THIS!!!! add him in photoshop :)

how does multishot work?
In 4-shot mode the back captures an image four times, moving the sensor by one pixel between each capture. This way, the bayer filter pattern is ignored, and a value is metered for each primary colour in turn, giving a true colour reading for each pixel, not an interpolated one.

I hope that's not too concise...!

C

carbonmetrictree

A friend and I took a trip up to Valencia to chase the fires on Saturday night, I can't believe how large they were. I wanted to get onto the blocked off highway, but none of the Sheriffs would let me get even remotely close to the fire to get a better vantage point. It would probably best if I stayed back, I got burning embers in my hair from a previous one.

Status
Not open for further replies.