The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurtch

THE SAGA OF THE LOST FOR 72 YEARS NEGATIVES CONTINUES:
I posted the story of my Dad passing away at age 29, when I was three. His negatives were found and returned to -me. I posted his I-mages as I scanned the negatives, and processed the-m in the style and spirit of -my father. The response was overwhelm-ming and encouraging from- the fine people here. If you visit -my web site at www.-modernpictorials.co-m, you can see how far I have progressed in re-doing his negs. There is a page called ALEXANDER GURTCHEFF which shows what I have done so far. Please also visit my B&W page.....you -may have trouble deciding who -made the I-mages: -me or my Father. Well GREAT news....see the e-mail I sent to friends and colleagues. -My dream com-e true. We are doing a two -man exhibit of our work 74 years after his death. See e-mail below, and thank you all.

E-MAIL BELOW:
Greetings all.
To all those that helped make this happen:
Yesterday we met, and were interviewed by Gail Sidewater, a Trustee of the Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences, in Love Ladies. Next Summer, in the Main Gallery, we will put on a two Man Retrospective featuring the Photographic Art of my Father, Alexander Gurtcheff (time span 1935-1940), and my work (time span 1959-Present). The work of Alexander will be printed by me in the style and spirit of Alexander, from the original negatives which we recently recovered after being lost for 72 years.
Even though we have a year to prepare, it still presents a monumental undertaking to do justice to both our artistic efforts. We, personally, will loan the many framed prints in our home, and also print, mount, and frame additional prints we may not presently have in our home. We may also possibly borrow a few framed prints owned by our friends, Clients, etc, if that is OK with them.
Shortly we will be accompanied by Gail to see and measure the Gallery to get an idea as to how many prints we can exhibit.

As many of you know, my Father exhibited his LBI Seascapes in many International Salons of the era, and was published full page in at least three National Magazines from the mid-late 1930's. His work is beyond description. I am attaching several of his images, along with several of mine...whose are whose, remembering I never saw the negatives.
Best regards to all, this is a dream come true for Sharon, I, and our family.
Dave Gurtcheff

gurtch

Hi all:
I spilled a cup of hot tea on -my keyboard about a week ago. I drained it and dried it with a hair dryer. It see-med OK until now. It arbitrarily add dashes - like this - and you cannot delete the-m! So the above post is riddled with dashes - sorry about that. Off to Staples tom-orrow for a new keyboard.
Dave

mbn

so, you couldn't wait till tomorrow?;)
you had to post those decades old pictures today, not tomorrow.

your father did a very good job behind the camera, awesome shots!

etrump

A few hours west of Portland are miles and miles of poplar trees ... really quite a site. I spent a couple of hours there on my way home from shooting in Portland and over on the coast for a couple of days last fall. Just getting around to finishing them.

Phase One DF with IQ180, 75-150 at 75mm, 1/6th at f/11, ISO 35 (8 shot stitch)
Love this Wayne, hoping to stop by here in a couple of weeks.

tsjanik

Very Nice Aaron. I went for an interview at the Pittsburgh Energy Technology Center many years ago. I remember getting lost in Pittsburgh and this exact view at some point as I tried to find my way (pre-GPS).

Tom

Shashin

Tom, thanks. That is Rangeley, Maine with New Hampshire on the horizon. The water body is Mooselookmeguntic Lake, the forth largest in Maine at 25 square miles.

Well, I am keeping my D. :-D The A7r certainly makes an interesting second camera. I have an RX-1 and the files are certainly rich and I imagine the A7r would be as well. But the Z is tempting. Still, when I look at the work from the D, I really am not finding it wanting. The operator is a weaker link in the chain. But I am also a bit of a heathen--I really don't like shopping for gear. (Did someone actually say that in Dante's inferno?)

aCIDfire

Nice one Will. Maine or Vermont?

OT: thoughts on the Z? Frankly, I'm considering an A7r and keeping the D.

Tom
I think Z is a different beast than A7r or 645D. I have A7r too and it´a great camera. I´am using it mainly with manual focus lenses side by side with S2 and D700+200/2. I know GAS :D But when you compare direct RAW output from A7r and S2 (same sensor as 645D) pixel per pixel quality is definitely on S2 side on lower ISO. A7r is very noisy over ISO 1000 but it´s visible on 50-100% magnification. Best for removing noise on A7r is DxO Optics Pro 9 and LR in my opinion. For higher ISOs works better DxO. When you resample photos to a lower resolution or printed it´s OK even with high ISO images.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
After shooting the Fallen Roof ruin I posted a few days ago, I was intrigued with maybe getting a few images of indian art. On the way home I visited what is called “Head of Sinbad”. this pictograph is estimated at over 3000 years old. Up close the detail is quite interesting, as you can see how deposits have built up in various places, covering some of the artwork. On the left side of the pictograph you can see where water flowing down the rock face has left a deposit over time, and there is a slight hint of the same color as the pictograph ... more art that is now obscured. Amazing it has survived so long ( don’t think any of my art will make it 3000 years :) )I couldn’t help but think about some ancient person creating this ... and wondering what he was trying to draw and why it looks like it does ...

Arca Swiss rm3di, IQ180, Rodenstock 150mm lens,⅛ second at f/11 iso 35, 7 shot focus stack

Status
Not open for further replies.