The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

They are reported to be scarce in Ontario and quite shy. Yours appears to be neither - (s)he's heading right for you!
Yes, the Massasauga Rattlesnake is a threatened species and is legally protected - at least in theory. There are still a few rednecks who think the only good snake is a dead one, but we're gradually (a) educating the public and (b) conserving the snake's habitat.

They are quite common where I live and will not attack unless very seriously assaulted. In fact I have lain down very close to them, slowly and quietly, and have photographed them from as little as 50 cms.

Respect them and they'll respect you!

flyrcairplanes

Another tip - I know little about portrait shooting, but from being the subject of a couple of portrait shoots (our engagement, wedding etc.), what I recall is that the pros were particulary fussy about what you might call "hand neatness" - fingers together and gently tucked inwards towards the palm. They had a particular aversion to any sort of "splayed bunch of bananas" layout of the fingers. Hope that helps.

Ray
Thank you. I definitely need to keep a consistent pattern before i click the shutter so I don't miss things like that.

MARKC

Fishing Fun ! ;)

Apo-Tele-Tessar T* 500/8_503CW_P1

ALPA / HASS V / LEICA S & M / PHASEONE IQ & P+

Last edited:

ondebanks

Testing the Schneider LS 240 with 2x converter.

Just in case you missed it - as soon as the converter is attached to the 240 it becomes a manual focus lens at f/9. I've not shot anything this small before so I thought it'd be a good test of both my skills as well as the camera.
Don, nicely done. When the 240 LS was announced, I pointed out that with the 2x TC, at f/9, it would be a challenge to focus: the TC is not AF, and f/9 is beyond the minimum aperture limit of the focus confirmation system for manual focus. But you clearly nailed focus here at f/9, so what's your secret? Special focusing screen, sequential focus bracketing, ...?

Ray

MARKC

Motorbikes Park :deadhorse:

I'm in favour of soft sunsetting light, giving very warm and brilliant feeling...

Apo-Tele-Tessar T* 500/8_503CW_Leaf 10R

ALPA / HASS V / LEICA S & M / PHASEONE IQ & P+

Last edited:

Don Libby

Don, nicely done. When the 240 LS was announced, I pointed out that with the 2x TC, at f/9, it would be a challenge to focus: the TC is not AF, and f/9 is beyond the minimum aperture limit of the focus confirmation system for manual focus. But you clearly nailed focus here at f/9, so what's your secret? Special focusing screen, sequential focus bracketing, ...?

Ray
Ray, I'll agree that trying to get a proper focus using the 2x is a huge PIA. I still use the standard screen and usually no bracketing. The samples above were all one-shot wonders. I began this journey shooting much larger creatures in Jackson Hole and through trial and error have developed s system that seems to work for me.

I recently added the RRS long lens bracket which helps balance the camera much better on tripod. I also used it with just the 240 and shot handheld and found it worked very well adding just a little more stability. In the end I'd have to say it takes plenty of practice and patience but the rewards are great.

Other than waiting for a DF replacement I've already told Sandy that should Schneider ever releases a converter that allows AF like Canon has I'm buying it damm the cost...

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.