The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcdeveau

Another view of the Chicago skyline from 360 Chicago (formerly hancock observatory) located on 94th floor of the John Hancock building. PITA place to shoot at night b/c they don't allow tripods and the reflections are difficult to control for. Made due with some vent box and my jacket to brace the camera. Hasselblad H4D-40, 35-90mm@35mm, f8, 32s, iso100

Ed Hurst

Tonight saw a powerful storm cell sweep across Sydney. The unusual thing was that the front was narrow, with a clearance following close behind - just in time for sunset, while the storm continued to rage overhead. Most unusual. I wasn't able to capture the lightning or the storm clouds themselves (pity - that was epic!), but I did get the weird sunset effect through the tempestuous sky.

Oh, and because it was bucketing it down with rain, I couldn't set the tripod up and do a long exposure, so this was taken handheld (snatching the shot quickly to avoid drenching the equipment too much) on ISO1600.

[/url]_IMG4657Step4sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (215k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

tsjanik

A few from last weekend. All from Whiteface mountain in the Adirondacks of New York State. The first shows the ski center and the trails used in the 1932 and 1980 Olympic alpine events. The second, a view of the summit and its weather station; the third is a view of Lake Placid (the lake, the village is at the upper left of the lake and surrounds Mirror Lake - go figure) from the summit. If you look carefully at the lower left of the lake, you can see two motor boats and wakes.

Untitled_Panorama2 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Untitled_Panorama3 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

_IGP5081 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Grew up in Colorado, but haven't been back for a couple of decades. Snow and fog in the Colorado Rockies ... forgot how magnificent they are.

On the road to Keebler pass, Phase One DF/ IQ180, mamiya 45mm, 1/40th at f/16, iso 35

North of Gunnison along the highway, PhaseOne DF/IQ180, PhaseOne 75-150mm at 115mm, 0.6 sec at f/16, iso 35

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Nice images but I would crop both the top one and the bottom one.

On the first image I feel that both the "unfinished" top of the mountain in middle and the sky are quite a bit disturbing. Cropping out both would make the image better IMHO.

The third one has a dramatic sky but the top part is just dark. I would consider to crop away the top on that image, too.

The images are great, it is just that I feel some creative cropping would make them better.

Best regards
Erik

A few from last weekend. All from Whiteface mountain in the Adirondacks of New York State. The first shows the ski center and the trails used in the 1932 and 1980 Olympic alpine events. The second, a view of the summit and its weather station; the third is a view of Lake Placid (the lake, the village is at the upper left of the lake and surrounds Mirror Lake - go figure) from the summit. If you look carefully at the lower left of the lake, you can see two motor boats and wakes.

tsjanik

Hi,

Nice images but I would crop both the top one and the bottom one.

On the first image I feel that both the "unfinished" top of the mountain in middle and the sky are quite a bit disturbing. Cropping out both would make the image better IMHO.

The third one has a dramatic sky but the top part is just dark. I would consider to crop away the top on that image, too.

The images are great, it is just that I feel some creative cropping would make them better.

Best regards
Erik
Hi Erik:

Thank you for your suggestions. You are quite correct about the image of the Whiteface ski center - the missing top of the mountain is disturbing. In way of explanation, this is a personal snapshot, not intended for anything other than memories. I lived in the area many years ago and wanted a shot of the trails and the mid-way lodge in autumn. I decided to post this since some readers might like to see the Olympic trails and left the top trails as they were part of the downhill. The image of Lake Placid I quite like. There is structure and detail in the clouds on my monitor and the heavy cloud cover is as it appeared: rays of sunlight bursting through the clouds to illuminate the lake below.

Tom

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

Lovely shots! I too feel that the third shot could benefit from a slight crop top and bottom - but it's full of atmosphere just as it is :)

Untitled_Panorama3 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Thanks for responding!

Just as an explanation, when I am shooting I often do it with cropping on mind. Sometimes I plan to stitch, instead of cropping a wide angle image, started doing at (Godafoss waterfall on Iceland back in 2006), this is quite often, specially on medium format. Sometimes I stitch so I get a more square composition sometimes to get a wide aspect ratio.

So I don't feel bound by the aspect ration of the camera/sensor, but vary aspect ratio to fit my vision.

I can also mention, when I print large (above A2) I normally try to fill the frame. Choose a frame as close as possible to the aspect ratio of my subject.

The image below is a good example. I made it for an exhibition, it is stitched from two vertical frames on the Sony Alpha 99, and cropped to taste. For the exhibition print I resized it to 80x60 cm, which was closest to my intended crop.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik:

Thanks you for your suggestions. You are quite correct about the image of the Whiteface ski center - the missing top of the mountain is disturbing. In way of explanation, this is a personal snapshot, not intended for anything other than memories. I lived in the area many years ago and wanted a shot of the trails and the mid-way lodge in autumn. I decided to post this since some readers might like to see the Olympic trails and left the top trails as they were part of the downhill. The image of Lake Placid I quite like. There is structure and detail in the clouds on my monitor and the heavy cloud cover is as it appeared: rays of sunlight bursting through the clouds to illuminate the lake below.

Tom

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Yellowstone National Park, Lower Falls, seen from Artist's Point Outlook.

The reason it is on the MF forum is that is used as an illustration on a short discussion of cropping/stitching. My suggestion is really to ignore the aspect ratio of the camera and go for the natural aspect ratio of the image!

I would say that the image is relevant in the context.

I don't have any MF image that made it to an exhibition yet. Would I have an MF image of that shot I would have used it, but it was taken before my venture in MFD. Also, I am not sure that I will carry MFD stuff on a 24 hours trip with three flights each way. A very valid point, in my view. I want to carry MFD stuff on flights but is a major concern.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

What is this a picture of?

And why is it in an MF thread?

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.