The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

aCIDfire

Shashin: ..great beach shot :) Which lens you used?

Here is one shot from september with Mamiya 120/4 macro on Leica S2 (split screen served great:):

Shashin

Tom, I think it is the foreground. The horizontal linear pattern is disrupted by it. It would also probably work better big.

tsjanik

Thanks Will and Robert. It is obvious now that you have pointed this out. What attracted me to the scene were the strong horizontals*, which were disrupted and somewhat overwhelmed by the foreground.

:facesmack:

Tom

Original post said "verticals"; my Epson printer is acting up with vertical banding, hence my preoccupation with vertical.

Last edited:

mediumcool

Going through some older shots. Montana. I really thought this would be special when I took the shots, but somehow it falls short. Any thoughts as to why?

_IGP7856 copy by tsjanik47, on Flickr
I also think its the foreground.. just cropped it to see how it looks..
Too tight. This was a response to RVB’s crit: dunno how it came out like this. It’s after 3am here in the southern hemisphere, and time for bed.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Crop out the rocky broken stuff on the bottom—that will smarten up the comp, giving it some nice layers to concentrate on. IMO.
NO , don't crop out the bottom .
Why must an image be smart ? You dont crop off bottom , left or right from a Monument Valley or COLORADO river image just to make it look smart .
IMO , the rough foreground we see in the image is just wonderful and gives a great DoF for the image .

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I love these examples - getting to see what everyone would do to an image. So I'll play!

I like all the elements, but found the foreground dark and indistinct. Out of curiosity, I also expanded the middle in color space using LAB mode and increasing contrast on the A and B channels. This may be too far from the original idea.

--Matt

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ok, I'll bite - Maybe concentrate on the patterns and lose a lot of the uninteresting foreground. Added a little vignette top / bottom to bring in the eye.

AaronK

I haven't shot much this fall, I've been too busy getting engaged and other things. We had good weather in Pittsburgh today, finally.

IQ140, Mamiya 35mm lens @f/11, 0.5 seconds. I'm really happy with Capture One Pro 8, it's been a nice improvement over 7.

darr

A square because no one else has done this yet. ;) (I miss my Hasselblad Classic)
Added a little more saturation since I was seeing 'stripes of color' that could be brought out; added center brightness, cropped and frame.

tsjanik

I love these examples - getting to see what everyone would do to an image. So I'll play!

I like all the elements, but found the foreground dark and indistinct. Out of curiosity, I also expanded the middle in color space using LAB mode and increasing contrast on the A and B channels. This may be too far from the original idea.

--Matt
Thanks everyone, now I know why I am confused by this image! I like the vignette and I like the lightening of the foreground. I have to ask Matt, what do you mean by expand the color space?

Tom

tsjanik

A square because no one else has done this yet. ;) (I miss my Hasselblad Classic)
Added a little more saturation since I was seeing 'stripes of color' that could be brought out; added center brightness, cropped and frame.​

Hi Darr:

I really like this and I don't think square, even though my first real camera was a Yaschia MAT 124G.
We should do this more often: an image with potential but needs some help.

Tom​

Status
Not open for further replies.