The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan W. Lediard

Presently lacking an Imacon scanner (I can dream) I scan with the Epson V750Pro. I have th ebetter scanning holders for large format and for medium format. They improve scan quality a great deal actually! For the X-Pan I have the anti-newton glass which clips into the original 35mm filmfolder that comes with the epson... you have to take a knife to the holder to get it in, but it presses the film nice and flat! I scan at 6400 and then down rez... gives surprisingly good results actualy! So until an imacon drops in my lap it will have to do... Have considered a used Nikon but they go for SILLY money and no service available if it goes wrong... Plustek have a new 120 scanner but is looks to be very slow... and is not cheap... I have a good nokon 35mm scanner but you need to scan in two halves and then stitch.... My view is that the epson is good enough... anyhow the real fun with shooting analogue cameras is making analogue prints in the darkroom... something I am lucky enough to still have :)
Skål! (cheers) & God jul!

Nathan :)

Last edited:

carstenw

Sellin, Ostsee, Germany. Sinar Hy6, eMotion 75LV, Zeiss 80/2.8 @ 1/5s, f/5.7:

I am finding this an interesting experience so far.

The eMotion 75LV back delivers files which are very unlike my A7 files. The A7 files are good, but somehow feel blunt, and resistant to changes. I have to be quite brutal with slider movement to get different looks, I find. The e75 files are completely different. Large changes destroy them, and I find myself meditating for minutes over single click changes. The white balance reaches values never ever seen with my A7. I just saw a blue-yellow balance of 12000 with the above file, when auto-white balancing on one of the white shells! I ended up significantly more blue and a touch less green though, because it was dusk, and rainy, and the world was blue.

All in all it has been a bit eye-opening for me. In the beginning I found the files frustrating, but in hindsight it was a learning experience, and my touch has become gentler, which rewards me. White balance and colours are so much better than Nikon D800 and A7, once nailed, but it is hard work to get there.

It is still a lot more work to set up, focus and process than the A7, but it then gets me further. And one thing which I hadn't fully anticipated is what a relief it is to work with a camera which feels like a real camera, and not an electronic gadget. Sony has a lot to learn in that field. They have come far, but have much further to go, although the EVF is still awesome.

I need to work a bit more with the Rolleiflex lenses, nay, a lot more, to find out what may be holding me back, and in some cases, if I need a tune-up. Once I have this system fully set up and debugged, I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Last edited:

carstenw

Same camera, but Schneider 40/3.5, same location (Sellin, Rügen, Germany), 0.4s @ f/5.7, ISO 100:

I should probably spend a little more time matching white balance on these, since they were taken quite close to the same time, the second photo a little earlier.

Pemihan

The vultures of El Camino Del Diablo in the Sonoran Desert wishes you all a Merry Christmas.
Cambo WRS-1250, IQ160, HR40 - 100% crop.

Here's the original image:

Last edited:

Don Libby

Just finished a 7-day 2,600 mile trip to Moab and South Rim Grand Canyon where we were blessed at both locations with outstanding conditions. Snow, low clouds and fog in Moab on our last day and an inversion at the South Rim on our last day there.

DF/IQ180 55mm LS f/8 1/125 ISO 100 (cropped to taste)

DF/IQ180 150mm f/6.3 1/250 ISO 35

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Don

M

mjr

Afternoon!

Aurora over the train station an hour ago. Merry christmas from Lapland!

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Lovely image! Great interpretation of a great scenery!

Best regards
Erik

Just finished a 7-day 2,600 mile trip to Moab and South Rim Grand Canyon where we were blessed at both locations with outstanding conditions. Snow, low clouds and fog in Moab on our last day and an inversion at the South Rim on our last day there.

DF/IQ180 150mm f/6.3 1/250 ISO 35

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.