The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Trying a few tricks here for effect

Paratom

So, I guess she prefers the M8.2? ;) I will find out sometime what my daughter prefers (right now she is just 11 weeks old, and knows the sound of the M8), but the 54LV is still some time away for me. Maybe once I am moved (looking for a new apartment), it will be time to look at it again.
I get more attention from her if I use a loud and big camera.
cheers, tom

Guy Mancuso

Jumping off the deep end on this one but kind of interesting. All done in C1 with only noise added in CS4

Jeff Turner

You know Guy, I have to say that I much prefer your images from your P25+ compared to the pre-production P65+. They have a sense of relaxed tonal transitions that just give me a visceral feeling of "ahhhhhhhhhhhh..." The examples from the P65+ always left me feeling a little on edge so-to-speak. Yes the resolution is phenomenal, but the relaxed IQ from the 9 micron pixel backs is still pretty compelling. I keep going back and forth between wanting a higher mp back (33-39) for the larger printing capabilities without uprezzing, vs. the very natural IQ of the 22 mp backs.

Do you ever uprez any of your P1 files for larger prints? If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks!!

Oh, I really do like your experiment with the door; the vignetting and graininess from the added noise strikes a really interesting mood.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Jeff. Interesting comment and something Jack and i have been talking about. There is something about the P25 9 micron sensor that I really like and as Jack described it , I think maybe the best description of it. Here is what we wrote to LJ saying the same thing.
Jack thinks it has something to do with inter-pixel contrast and total dynamic range. Which in effect is clarity and Jack has noticed that if he pumps up the clarity on the P45 by about 10 or 15 points and adds a little contrast ( which takes away from total dynamic range he gets a similar look) But the hard fact is the 9 micron is friendlier to most MF lenses and he thinks that is what the issue is.

I agree with his comments on this. There is something the P25 does with the clarity from the 9 micron sensor that I don't see in the 39 and 31 sensors. Simply put it has bite to the files. I tend to think this is the difference between 9 micron sensors VS the small Micron sensors.

When I do uprez i actually do that in C1 to the Raw. Many times I will go 125 percent in C1 for the larger files size than if i need more than Cs4. But i do start that process in C1 which i think it is better to uprez at the time of processing.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

I'd also echo the comment that choice of lenses seems to matter with MFDBs. Great glass can be the equalizer ... we've seen what it can do on a variety of sensors. As an example, I was able to use a Mamiya 300/2.8 Apo lens on the P45+ several week's ago. When I look back at those images and compare them with shots taken with other Mamiya lenses, I can easily pull out the 300mm images in a line-up taken with that lens in comparison to other lenses. There is a richness in color and depth that is striking.

Kurt

fotografz

Thanks Jeff. Interesting comment and something Jack and i have been talking about. There is something about the P25 9 micron sensor that I really like and as Jack described it , I think maybe the best description of it. Here is what we wrote to LJ saying the same thing.
Jack thinks it has something to do with inter-pixel contrast and total dynamic range. Which in effect is clarity and Jack has noticed that if he pumps up the clarity on the P45 by about 10 or 15 points and adds a little contrast ( which takes away from total dynamic range he gets a similar look) But the hard fact is the 9 micron is friendlier to most MF lenses and he thinks that is what the issue is.

I agree with his comments on this. There is something the P25 does with the clarity from the 9 micron sensor that I don't see in the 39 and 31 sensors. Simply put it has bite to the files. I tend to think this is the difference between 9 micron sensors VS the small Micron sensors.

When I do uprez i actually do that in C1 to the Raw. Many times I will go 125 percent in C1 for the larger files size than if i need more than Cs4. But i do start that process in C1 which i think it is better to uprez at the time of processing.
I still love stuff from the 16 meg CFV ... even cropped it does fine ... here's one done this weekend in the early AM as it started to snow. I went to the Franklin common near our home where we spend time during warm summer days ... to capture a pictorial view in Winter for a Calendar project depicting our little town.

503CW with Zeiss 350/5.6CF:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Some dorking around with the 120 Macro. These are off the P45+, full image first then a crop. Maybe some camera movement or not perfectly focused OR too far from the lens center of field, but still kind of neat :):

justin989

Guy and Jack, have you messed around with RAW developer? After using C1 as my primary, I decided to test out RD since I had heard that it will apparently extract a bit more detail than C1....turns out it does, RD has 4 different sharpening algorithms and I found their Richardson-Lucy Deconvolution option to be the best for sharpening without those annoying white halos appearing over the edges. I did notice a bit more CA appearing in the files when viewed at 100%, will have to do some more experimenting though. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Anyway, I took these shots in Times Square Monday night in the brisk 28 degree weather. I love going out there and candidly shooting the flow of chaos that it is; tourists, cabs, cops and bilboards. In one of these pics, you will see a confused tourist just happened to wander into my frame as I was shooting off, he actually made the photo :)

enjoy!

Guy Mancuso

Justin I have not tried it since I got my Phase stuff but it is a great raw developer but I found the workflow slow. Not sure if the interface had changed since than but it did do a nice job on the M8 files . Chuck Jones a good friend and member is like a junkie too it. Cool shots BTW.

Guy Mancuso

Here Jack is your retirement kitchen and bath on the house I picked out for ya. Really busted my butt on these, my brain was not working at full speed and man that just slow's you down. Some airbrushing left to do so this maybe not so fun but real work. Hate that.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Mamiya 28mm

Guy Mancuso

Need a sunset in that window. I replaced 8 glass blocks already because of highlights i could not get rid of. 4 lights in each shot and 1 Elinchrom mono went down on me ,maybe flash tube blew. Turned it on and small amount of smoke,not promising.

Kitchen 4 different types of light daylight, tungsten, flash and florescent . OUCH

Guy Mancuso

Faster shutter speed here and cut down the florescent some

Guy Mancuso

Yes it is , nice lens too. I really like it even though some softness in the corners sometimes but with that little corner sharpness trick it helps it some. Certainly the least expensive way to get wide is the Hassy 28mm and Mamiya 28mm every other solution to this is a tech camera or not necessarily your most popular primary camera and it gets expensive, I can't just have a tech camera the normal camera types is what i have to have for other work as well. Heck i would love a tech camera too but I need to justify that costs with the amount of use and those numbers don't completely add up , so for me this works . Plus i use this for all sorts of shooting and a tech camera get's too bulky or slow sometimes.

Stuart Richardson

4 lights in each shot and 1 Elinchrom mono went down on me ,maybe flash tube blew. Turned it on and small amount of smoke,not promising.
I feel your pain man. When I first got here, I turned on my flash (they are 100-240V, 50-60hz), and expected everything to be fine. It seemed like the modeling light was kind of bright though, as I only had the flash on a low setting, and it was on proportional, I pressed "full" to turn it on to full power (very dumb), and BOOM, the light blows out. Luckily it did not explode. It turns out that while the flash works fine on international power, you need to replace the modeling light. I suppose I should have RTFM...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Talking to the missus now... She says we're at least three years away from that move :)(), but I'm trying to convince her we need to buy in now while the getting is good :)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member

I haven't posted in a while... But here's a cliche. I like it myself though. :)

For those who care... ZD back, 55mm AF lens, f/5.6, 30s exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.