The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildRover

Perhaps we need some "behind the scenes" shots. :watch:
Tom and everybody, get the popcorn out. This could get long. Sorry, but no normal "behind the scenes" shots. I'm usually so frenetic trying to figure things out and then get to the next composition before the light is gone, that I have almost never taken photos of my set-ups. Actually, I always forget about the camera (phone) in my pocket. My evening of comedy, which wasn't too funny at the time, is as follows:

I have wanted some sort of ice traction device for years, and finally I got myself a pair.

These things are fantastic. I never would have believed how well these work. No slippage over any terrain I've come across in the short time of using them. It's like being on dry ground. Here's a shot of what I was walking on that evening.

Well…… My shiny new thing, the crampons, stayed at home where the snow had long melted. I never thought to bring them. Normally I wear pac boots, but not this night. Because of the pleasant temperatures at home, I wore my Vibram hiking boots. Don't know why, but Vibram on ice is treacherous. The snow was hard and uneven, glazed over, slippery, and near impossible to walk on. The flat ice was much easier, but then difficult to step off of and up onto the bank without slipping. I used my tripod splayed out as an old man walker, and had to carefully brace myself and inch slowly along. Comedy number one.

So I inched along, found a few shots, and avoided crashing with my gear. The Sapphirine Collection image was taken at ISO 100 with the 25mm. I had to be careful with the polarizer that lives inside that lens. I rotated it so the sky didn't get that over-polarized blotch which is so easy to do with wide angles. As a side note, a mantra that bounces inside my head is Robert Capa paraphrased "If it's not good enough, your not close enough". I did do a tighter shot of Sapphirine Collection, but it wasn't quite as nice. That quote isn't always true.

Because of a big solar storm, the Aurora was predicted to be strong and visible here in Wisconsin. The clear skies were great for this. The clear skies also meant it would get cold. So what do I have? Hiking boots, not pac boots, and my warmer gloves and extra fleece jacket were back in the truck. Comedy number two - freeze. I moved around very little because of Comedy number one - no traction.

As predicted, the Northern Lights came out. Not bright and fantastic like some places, but for here not too bad. The scene was very dark and I had to use my headlamp to shine on the distant ice shove and an overhanging tree on the right to find the edge of the frame. This was very much a wild guesstimation. Is this what shooting tech cameras is like?

More Comedy. My watch band is broken and I haven't yet replaced it so no watch with second hand along to time my exposures. Shot the first exposure at ISO 1600 and counted to myself to time the exposure. The first image was way underexposed and very noisy so I did the rest at ISO 800 and kept increasing my exposure times. My count was off, but consistent, and eventually my exposure times were over seven minutes (confirmed later in Lightroom). I'm standing there in the cold, not wanting to move and possibly slip and nudge or crash my setup. I can't understand the very long exposure times. I have to wait through the dark frame noise reduction. I'm thinking I would love to have a "Z". The first photos were with the 25mm at f/4. I switched to the A 35mm which is f/3.5 wide open. Sometime around now I realized what most of you have guessed. Inside my 25mm, in the internal filter slot lives, yes, a polarizing filter. I never thought to switch it out. Also, sometime around this time I remembered that the camera (phone) that was in my pocket also has a wonderful timer on it. I did a few more exposures and then packed up as the Aurora was disappearing. It was enough fun and comedy for one night. I found out later that the lights came out stronger a couple hours after I left. If I had been better prepared, I would probably have stayed out longer. The Northern Glow image was a little over two and a half minutes. I was lucky that the lights were very slow in their movement, which helped the image.

My original comment about wanting a "Z" was about the Aurora photo. With a "Z", I could have used much shorter exposure times which would have given the Northern Lights more definition. Also the noise would not have been a problem and it would have been easier to frame with the live view. So Tom, I think you're right. A "Z" is inevitable for me. Why should I resist? Oh yea, I'm suppose to be a responsible adult.

Hope I didn't bore everybody.

Rick

Last edited:

tsjanik

Rick:

LOL. Those wonderful shots were certainly worth the effort.
I learned not to use Vibram soles on ice many years ago after slipping into a stream in the Adirondacks. The crampons you have look really useful. I've used snowshoes in similar situations. Not only do they have crampons, but the larger surface area makes a break through the ice/crust less likely. They are somewhat cumbersome however. The images below were posted in "Behind the Scenes". My wife took the picture of me (wearing snowshoes) as I set up on an ice mound along the shore of Lake Erie; I took the sunset with a Pentax 67.

Spring is almost here :)

Tom

P.S. About being a responsible adult: A friend once told me that after the age of 50, you no longer need to justify a purchase (assuming you can afford it), you can simply do it. I took that message to heart. If you're not over 50, this won't help.

Last edited:

Shashin

Well…… My shiny new thing, the crampons, stayed at home where the snow had long melted. I never thought to bring them. Normally I wear pac boots, but not this night....
Rick, I would be using snowshoes (w/ crampons) on Muck boots for that. I also have mountaineering crampons for my hiking/climbing boots. Either way, I would have a crampon with toe points. With spikes just at the bottom, it will work for flat terrains like the driveway, but are dangerous on uneven terrain where you cannot always keep the sole of the boot flat to the ground. A fall can be so much more dangerous in the winter.

ashwinrao1

Pentax 645z, Zeiss 110 mm f/2 Planar (Hassy to 645 adapter), ISO 200-400. This is a fantastic combo, both ergonimically and in terms of rendering. It's rapidly becoming my favorite portrait lens on the 645

WildRover

Rick:

I learned not to use Vibram soles on ice many years ago after slipping into a stream in the Adirondacks. The crampons you have look really useful. I've used snowshoes in similar situations. Not only do they have crampons, but the larger surface area makes a break through the ice/crust less likely. They are somewhat cumbersome however. The images below were posted in "Behind the Scenes". My wife took the picture of me (wearing snowshoes) as I set up on an ice mound along the shore of Lake Erie; I took the sunset with a Pentax 67.

Spring is almost here :)

Tom

P.S. About being a responsible adult: A friend once told me that after the age of 50, you no longer need to justify a purchase (assuming you can afford it), you can simply do it. I took that message to heart. If you're not over 50, this won't help.
Tom, I love how the clouds lit up in your photo. A reward for staying with it and recognizing the evenings potential.

Most of my winter photography has been at places likes Big Bend, Texas and in the southwestern states. This past winter I got out a lot more here in Door County, Wisconsin than in the past few years. My pac boots worked well in many situations, but other times I wished for snowshoes or something like the small crampon device I eventually purchased.

Oh, and I am over 50. I have to operate on a tight budget. This medium format thing is already way above my pay grade. When I succumb to that temptress "Z", I will tell my wife who is to blame for leading me astray.

Rick

WildRover

Rick, I would be using snowshoes (w/ crampons) on Muck boots for that. I also have mountaineering crampons for my hiking/climbing boots. Either way, I would have a crampon with toe points. With spikes just at the bottom, it will work for flat terrains like the driveway, but are dangerous on uneven terrain where you cannot always keep the sole of the boot flat to the ground. A fall can be so much more dangerous in the winter.
Will, you have me now thinking seriously about getting a good pair of snowshoes for next winter. I will have to research your suggestion about the Muck boots. I agree that having the proper gear is often essential and safer in certain situations. I'd like to do a lot more in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and around Lake Superior. The Pictured Rocks area and other areas south of Lake Superior get hit with significant lake effect snow. A lot of these types of purchases I put off just to keep expenses down. But then that limits what I can do.

I have to reiterate how nice the little crampons I mentioned are though. I was looking for something better than a Yaktrax style traction device. These are hinged so the front of the foot stays planted as you step. Toe spikes would be better, but still, these things are great for what they are.

The area where I was at is at the base of 100 foot bluffs. Getting down to the ice is a short, but steep descent with a very poor undefined "trail" between cliff areas. I had done it earlier when snow covered the hillside and it was an adventure coming down with only my pac boots. Another time I hiked on the wind swept lake about a mile to get to the area (avoiding the hill). Snowshoes on the lake would have been easier in the drifted areas. So I was there twice before the big shove arrived. Then there was the night of comedy. Afterward, I came back for another four days/nights of fun, but this time with the crampons. The snow had melted off the hillside and I was able on three of the days to descend with my hiking boots, crampons strapped on my camera pack, and then put the crampons on once at the lake. The other time, the thawed hillside had refrozen and was treacherous so I wore the crampons down and later back up after dark. Out on the ice I was able to go anywhere I wanted. The ice was anything but flat in many places. I was able to climb around on the shove without a problem. The snow had gone through so many thaw freeze cycles that the glaze was solid and easily supported my fat butt. I had to always use care on how I planted my feet, but the things worked very well.

Having better crampons would be great, but sometimes having a little less is great too.

I should have started a separate thread for winter gear suggestions. Now all the beautiful ice is gone and the long wait for winter has commenced.

Rick

Shashin

Will, you have me now thinking seriously about getting a good pair of snowshoes for next winter. I will have to research your suggestion about the Muck boots. I agree that having the proper gear is often essential and safer in certain situations. I'd like to do a lot more in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and around Lake Superior. The Pictured Rocks area and other areas south of Lake Superior get hit with significant lake effect snow. A lot of these types of purchases I put off just to keep expenses down. But then that limits what I can do.

I have to reiterate how nice the little crampons I mentioned are though. I was looking for something better than a Yaktrax style traction device. These are hinged so the front of the foot stays planted as you step. Toe spikes would be better, but still, these things are great for what they are.

The area where I was at is at the base of 100 foot bluffs. Getting down to the ice is a short, but steep descent with a very poor undefined "trail" between cliff areas. I had done it earlier when snow covered the hillside and it was an adventure coming down with only my pac boots. Another time I hiked on the wind swept lake about a mile to get to the area (avoiding the hill). Snowshoes on the lake would have been easier in the drifted areas. So I was there twice before the big shove arrived. Then there was the night of comedy. Afterward, I came back for another four days/nights of fun, but this time with the crampons. The snow had melted off the hillside and I was able on three of the days to descend with my hiking boots, crampons strapped on my camera pack, and then put the crampons on once at the lake. The other time, the thawed hillside had refrozen and was treacherous so I wore the crampons down and later back up after dark. Out on the ice I was able to go anywhere I wanted. The ice was anything but flat in many places. I was able to climb around on the shove without a problem. The snow had gone through so many thaw freeze cycles that the glaze was solid and easily supported my fat butt. I had to always use care on how I planted my feet, but the things worked very well.

Having better crampons would be great, but sometimes having a little less is great too.

I should have started a separate thread for winter gear suggestions. Now all the beautiful ice is gone and the long wait for winter has commenced.

Rick
Rick, I love Muck Boots (I use the Chore model) for salt marshes. The marshes are relatively flat and the boots have a good grip when it is not. But also, if I get in water or mud, the boots just stay dry. I have found them comfortable on an eight hour hike. With a couple of pairs of socks, the boots are warm in the winter. If I am in the White Mountains, then climbing/hiking boots (Scarpa) have better grip and support. My snowshoes will fit both.

I agree, the less I have to carry the better. But a good footwear is worth its weight in gold, especially if the trek is long. I bought a cheap pair of hiking boots once and the blisters and twisted ankles were just not worth the money I saved. Snowshoes are light and easy to strap to a pack or even to hike in all day. I have a Atlas model that has a single strap to tighten the bindings and a simple clip to loosen them. I don't use hiking sticks.

What are you talking about? Winter over??? We are expecting a 1" of snow tomorrow, we had some today (and it was "sunny"), and I still have over a 12" snow pack on the garden. Can't wait for June.

tsjanik

Pentax 645z, Zeiss 110 mm f/2 Planar (Hassy to 645 adapter), ISO 200-400. This is a fantastic combo, both ergonimically and in terms of rendering. It's rapidly becoming my favorite portrait lens on the 645
Those are magical Aswhin, helped in no small part by the subjects. Is there a story to these fairy tale costumes?
A comparison of the Zeiss to the Takumar 67 105mm f/2.4 would be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.