The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Libby

Re: Fun with MF images, part 2: What are you shooting with that MF back?

Don, the redo looks *EXCELLENT!*

I would trim the LCC plastic to fit between the ears to avoid reflections off of the lens side of the LCC screwing up the calibration frame.
Thanks Jack, the image had been haunting me till I fixed it. I just took a dremel to a spare sheet I had, it fits now.

BTW love the pinhole images!

don

Don Libby

Bob - great images, thankfully we're out of the snow now. I think I like the last two the best.

don

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks Jack, Robert & Don.
Robert, no wires here to the buildings although you do see poles in the streets, it is a historical district and that would just not be allowed.
-bob

Stuart Richardson

Those are great Cemal! I particularly like the first one of the second post -- of the rusted wall. Great colors and composition...

JimCollum

a few from Roaring Camp in Felton , Ca.

Aptus 75s, Zeiss 110/2

PeterA

That third shot is technically superb Jlm.!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Me Too. Brings back the romance in traveling

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

It didn't break above -5 degrees F here in Wisconsin today. Lots of wind brought the wind chill down to -35 degrees F. Amazing how the drifting winds change the landscape. Here are a few images ...

Kurt

J

jmvdigital

Kurt, nice images. It's been VERY cold here in Colorado too. Right now, we've got a balmy 13-degrees, but we hit -14 last week.

Anyway, I was wondering if you have any tips for shooting with this type of gear in those cold conditions? I had a bit of a problem with condensation on my last cold shoot. Mainly due to the fact that I grabbed my equipment bag, threw it in the truck, and went driving around and shooting (my primary method of daily shooting in these desolate parts). But upon getting my gear out of the warm truck to the 5-deg outside, things went better than expected. I didn't get much condensation (probably due to the extremely low humidity at those temps), but getting back in the truck proved a bit of a problem. Plus it was snowing. My lithium batteries in the Phamiya body died mid-shoot (which was odd because they were fairly new, and they purportedly do well in the cold; a second set worked great).

Any advice welcome.

-J

PS: How about those 80/1.9 samples? :)

robmac

Ideas from DSLR world, but same risks apply. If really cold, bring plastic bag outside with you when you shoot. Before getting back into truck, put camera in cold bag first and make sure bag placed in area that will allow contents to slowly warm (e.g. not in front of heating vent, sunlit window, etc). Cold camera with cold air inside and cold plastic enclosing it.

Idea is that condensation upon sudden temp shift forms on outside surface of cold bag, not on camera. Situation is reversed going from really cold AC'd car/building to warm & humid (South Florida anyone?).

Winter adds the extra threat of any condensation that does form freezing if an effected camera suddenly goes back into cold environment.

Other option if and out of truck often would be a food cooler - older and uglier the better. First time out bring cooler out and leave open during shoot. Before you get back inside, put camera (sans battery to keep it alive longer) in cooler, close, etc.

Leave truck: take out cooler, remove camera (leave open during shoot), insert battery, shoot and reverse. Keep batteries warm in coat, etc (or use battery pack in coat and cable) and let acclimatize for a second (just in case any condensation forms on shell) outside before inserting.

Insulated outside air in cooler allows camera to warm very slowly when back in truck - lowering odds of condensation if you wake repeated trips in/out of warm car. When home, bring in closed cooler and just let it sit and slowly warm up. Many arctic shooters leave gear outside in Pelican's (sans batteries) until they need to come in to avoid a lot of temp shifts. Of course theft is less of an issue...

Could use same technique if going from AC'd car in hot/humid area to AC'd offices and back a lot. Adding a dehumidifying gel pack in cooler would cut back odds of any moisture forming inside even further.

On top of that no one would ever guess that old ratty cooler in your truck held $$$$ of gear.

101 ways to do it, but the idea is to allow the cold/warm surface of the camera/lens to slowly adjust to sudden temp/humidity changes and to ideally keep such shifts to the minimum feasible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.