The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Afternoon!

I'm on a contract in the North of Mali at the moment, here's the type of thing I'm shooting. It's bloody hot, windy, dusty and generally completely crap, the S is faultless!

Shashin

Afternoon!

I'm on a contract in the North of Mali at the moment, here's the type of thing I'm shooting. It's bloody hot, windy, dusty and generally completely crap, the S is faultless!
Hot, miserable, and armed. What could possibly go wrong?

ondebanks

Sometimes a night spent in the car seems worthwhile!

645Z plus 6x7 90mm f2.8 lens
[/url]StarTrailsFromFiles_IMG6780-7114V2Step9sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]
That is really gorgeous, Ed.

As you know, I love photos with an astronomical dimension. Looks like you got a nice bright pink nebula down the middle. Can't make out the constellations from the long trails, but I'm guessing it's the Lagoon Nebula in Sagittarius?

Ray

Ed Hurst

Thanks Ray! So glad you like it. I am pretty excited to get this result after a fairly considerable effort :)

I wish I could help to confirm/correct your hypothesis about the specific stars depicted, but I am afraid answering your question would require deeper knowledge of the subject of stars than I possess. Happy to send you a single file from the stack if that would help?

ondebanks

Thanks Ray! So glad you like it. I am pretty excited to get this result after a fairly considerable effort :)

I wish I could help to confirm/correct your hypothesis about the specific stars depicted, but I am afraid answering your question would require deeper knowledge of the subject of stars than I possess. Happy to send you a single file from the stack if that would help?
Hi Ed, yes, that would be great - thanks! Sorry for being so curious/nosey about the scene :)

Ray

Ed Hurst

Not a problem! Please PM me your email address, then I will upload a file to dropbox and share it with you. Then maybe you can share your conclusions :)

- - - Updated - - -

This morning: 645Z plus 35mm f3.5 A lens

[/url]_IMG7348Step9sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

PSon

Nice processing, a custom style or pre-set may I ask ?
hi Chris,
Thanks for the kind complement! I shoot portraits of different skin colors and in different light environments so each portrait needs different attention in post process in order to bring out the looks that I feel the mood of the photograph is fitting. Thus I don't use pre-set or plug in custom style. I do most of the effect in LR and some photos might also require another post process through Photoshop. I try to keep everything very simple in processing the photograph. However, the complexity of careful visualization and feel in each of the simple steps that I take in processing is where I spent the most of my time. For example, the first step I take is to look at the photograph in its unaltered state and make observation to the kind of canvas that is presented. This is different from painting where my canvas is white and I generally only add not subtracting and what I add there is no limitation. In a photograph, I have to add and subtract at close proximity so there is limit to simply adding, such as exposure. The key is to overcome the limitation by different approach to achieve the ultimate mean. Sometimes adding is not technically adding but purely a shift in colors in different type of tones. So as you can see I like to keep the post process as simple as possible in order to fulfill the looks that the subject would prefer to be in and the audience could see and relate to the photograph.

Thanks,
Son

ChrisLivsey

hi Chris,
Thanks for the kind complement! I shoot portraits of different skin colors and in different light environments so each portrait needs different attention in post process My edit removes text So as you can see I like to keep the post process as simple as possible in order to fulfill the looks that the subject would prefer to be in and the audience could see and relate to the photograph.

Thanks,
Son
Son, many thanks, that philosophical approach, if I may call it that, is very interesting and I appreciate you taking the time to post it, I will re-read carefully. I wasn't after a "quick fix" but wondered if you had an individual style starting point, that answers my question perfectly. I don't shoot enough portraits personally but results like yours have me thinking I should.

vjbelle

This scene is almost always shot with a wide angle lens..... I wanted more reach and a remembrance of what I saw every morning from my terrace. Alpa STC, Schneider 150mm Digitar, IQ180.

Attachments

Don Libby

It's been awhile since I had time to share. I've now switched over to shooting a new Phase XF with my IQ180 and love it. Likewise I've gotten several days worth of shooting with the 40-80 which I equally love. I'm headed back to Sedona tomorrow in hopes of capturing the meteor shows either there or at the South Rim. Last night we were treated to a great lightshow and decided to test the XF/180 which it turns out worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.