The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildRover

Not the photo(s) promised. Will get to those eventually. This is the first photo taken on one of the last evenings of my most recent trip in the Lake Superior region (US). A remarkable light show proceeded for the next 45 minutes. I had done a preliminary hike here earlier in the day, and although the lake was nice, it did not seem special in any way. There was only one small opening in the dense shoreline to obtain unobstructed views. I hesitated even trekking out here, playing yet another Suduko game and an iPad solitaire game or two. I did this with a couple variations and then it started to rain. Rain is good. I was hoping for a rainbow and sure enough it appeared. Then, WOW, Oh my God, a double rainbow all the way. It was very intense and lasted quite long. I was able to do many different compositions and ended up using nearly every lens in my pack. So attached to my Pentax 645D, I started with the DA-25mm, and went back and forth between the A-35mm, FA 45-85mm at different lengths, A-120mm, and FA 200mm. The rain and rainbow(s) came and went, but mostly stayed. As it got closer to sunset, some beautiful light appeared. Besides a variety of single compositions, I managed four and a half panoramics. The half was a two shot vertical stitch that cropped nicely to an 8 x 10 format horizontal. I also managed to use a two stop gradated neutral density filter in a Lee hood on many of the photos. I was able to keep the lenses dry, and for the most part, they all show promise except the 200mm shots which seemed too tight to show the amazing sky. It was an incredible shoot. If I smoked, I think I would have wanted to light up afterwards.

As I get some done I'll post a few. I'll try to be less wordy next time.

My website isn't ready for prime time. Many unfinished aspects to it, but it may be of interest to some of you.

Rick

Attachments

richardman

"Call of the Ocean", an ongoing series. Sorry this is kind of large, but I think it's worth it.

I have image of this photo in my mind for 3 years or more now. Happy that I have finally "got it".

tsjanik

"Call of the Ocean", an ongoing series. Sorry this is kind of large, but I think it's worth it.

I have image of this photo in my mind for 3 years or more now. Happy that I have finally "got it".

Really nice Richard. I see much more in this than the title suggests.

Tom

WildRover

Really nice Rick, I imagine this as a stained glass window.
Thanks Tom. I really appreciate the comment. Stained glass would be interesting. I'm never too sure about a lot of the more abstract photos. I'm glad you and others like it. I also have this as a vertical with more tree tops and sky. I didn't think it was quite as strong, but the vertical is a bit more of a mind bender. If I do it I'm titling it something like Lily's in the Sky. The lily pads in the water are blue because they are in shadow. It looks like sky through the trees when presented upside down like this one is. I hope it doesn't wreck things, but with this, the birch trees are reflected in the water. To make them appear upright, I presented this upside down. So sorry.

Rick

WildRover

"Cobbles and I"

Here's one from Sugarloaf Cove along Minnesota's North Shore of Lake Superior. Not sure I thought this through enough. Might use it as is or cropped as a self portrait.

Rick

Pentax 645D, A-120mm

Attachments

WildRover

Those are really nice Bill, especially the second one. Where was the first one taken. When I see something like that, I wonder what it might look like from on top at the edge of the cliff. Is that part of the Sibley Peninsula. It's been so long since I've been on the Canadian side of Lake Superior. Is that even Lake Superior? I need to get up there. I think you have more of the "wild" landscapes that I prefer. Lots of wide open spaces to explore and hunt for photos.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.