The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Thank you. It was one of the most memorable sunsets I have captured because it was the first one me my wife and our 10 month old shared together.

Stuart Richardson

Lovely, Tom, particularly the first. I know I am a bit of a film fanatic, but I will have to eat my words about the 54LV and film having comparable resolution -- this is a direct comparison, same lens, same camera, same camera position, of the 54LV versus Fuji Acros in Xtol 1:1...this is one of the finest grained and longest ranged films you can find. I scanned it at 3200 dpi in an Imacon 646 -- no resizing...the files are natively comparable in size. While I still love the look of film and will keep on shooting it, it is interesting to see the results. It is basically the same results I had in 35mm -- given an equal imaging area, digital is markedly sharper and higher resolution than film. (For those who are not familiar, the 54LV is 22mp and a 1.1x crop from 645. The film was full frame 645.

Here are two screen shots (decreased in size about 33%) that show the difference:

And no, I don't believe the softness to be a focus issue -- there were no sharper areas and this was the case over several different lenses, and apertures.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Very interesting Stuart! I have a Mamiya too with a film back and have compared Fujichrome 50 with my Phase P45+, same lens, same camera etc etc. The back beats the film in a heartbeat. Frankly, a fairer test is to compare the back with 4 by 5 inch film. I think the back still wins because it's grain-free but there might be a teeny weeny bit more detail in the film shot.

You might check the Luminous Landscape shoot-out of a couple of years ago...

Best,
Bill

carstenw

Really nice first shot, Tom. I really love that one. I almost thought it was square until I scrolled down :) I love the square format, and would trade all my stuff for a decently large square format digital back on a Hasselblad V camera. The CFV I find too small though, causing problems at the wide end. The 40 IF is huge, and not that wide at 38mm equivalent in 35mm or so, on the CFV.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Quite a few hardy Wisconsinites made it down to the Lake Michigan shoreline yesterday for the annual polar bear plunge. Another time when it's good to be the person behind the camera.

rmueller

Hi,

Happy New Year to everyone and wish you all a prosperous 2009!

Picture taken from a walk close to the river rhine at a very cold day.

Best Regards,
Ralf

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Great images folks!

Kurt: Those people are freaking nutz! :ROTFL:

Ralf: It that a panned stitch or do you use a swing-lens film camera?

rmueller

Hi Jack,

That is a panned stitch from 6 pictures taken with a H3DII-31 and 28mm
lens. Photomerged in CS3 and then slightly sharpened.

Best Regards,
Ralf

J

jmvdigital

Shot a while back when it was still t-shirt weather. From my continuous dirt road explorations here in Colorado.

Crap, I just realized these weren't shot with MF. No flaming please, honest mistake. I shot these before I got rid of my Canon equipment. Can you tell how behind I am in some of my processing? I'll leave them up because I like them. :)

Don Libby

Crap, I just realized these weren't shot with MF. No flaming please, honest mistake. I shot these before I got rid of my Canon equipment. Can you tell how behind I am in some of my processing? I'll leave them up because I like them. :)
No flames! Great images no matter the format

don

D

David A

Mind you when all that's harvested there might be a few pitch forks :)

Don Libby

Woke up this morning to a very low ceiling and couldn’t see the mountains from our back yard.

Been wanting to try this out for awhile so decided to getting mixed feelings with the outcome. 8 second exposure using a Cokin 007 filter:

don

carstenw

Woke up this morning to a very low ceiling and couldn’t see the mountains from our back yard.

Been wanting to try this out for awhile so decided to getting mixed feelings with the outcome. 8 second exposure using a Cokin 007 filter:
Very moody, I like it a lot. The histogram on that shot must give the auto-optimize mode in your raw processor fits :)

Paratom

Really nice first shot, Tom. I really love that one. I almost thought it was square until I scrolled down :) I love the square format, and would trade all my stuff for a decently large square format digital back on a Hasselblad V camera. The CFV I find too small though, causing problems at the wide end. The 40 IF is huge, and not that wide at 38mm equivalent in 35mm or so, on the CFV.
Thanks Carsten. I also find myself liking square quite a lot.
Now after using the 54LV with a 40mm I am happy sometimes to have a larger sensor than the square (cfv or P20). A larger square sensor would be great.
Cheers, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.