The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Richardson

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

I am doing some work for the owner of a series of design oriented apartment hotels here, and this is one of our first picks...

54LV, 110/2, 2 hensel monolights (beauty dish and softbox). This stuff does not come naturally to me...interior photography is a bitch to light! Especially here where we have no daylight to fall back on.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Ha! My next project is going to be ripping a lens out of a Holga and get it mounted up at the right distance for the Mamy :D
I wonder what would happen if I mounted a contact lens on a horseman lensboard....
hmmmmm
Actually lets see... a +1 diopter lens has a focal length of one meter.
Looks like we have telephoto here!
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Hey folks , sorry been busy all week shooting this show. Anyway just a quickie here P25 plus , 150mm at 5.6 and ISO 800 . This one is handheld at 1/350

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Guy,
You have been shooting girls again? LOL
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Yea and some boys too. Okay one for the ladies here. Alright need to get back to work here. More later Oh the second one I could not put on the big screen but hey not going to let my friends miss out on a excellent shot here. I know a little revealing but what a perfect shot. Oly 520 here on the second one. Which I am selling this system

Totally off topic here - but while you guys are playing with pinhole setups, I was wondering if anyone had (or can) try a cat's pupil-shaped pinhole.
I'm just curious how things look from a cat's point of view...!

Mind you, there may be something about the way the lens works in a cat's eye that compensates for the pupil shape... mmmmmh?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Totally off topic here - but while you guys are playing with pinhole setups, I was wondering if anyone had (or can) try a cat's pupil-shaped pinhole.
I'm just curious how things look from a cat's point of view...!

Mind you, there may be something about the way the lens works in a cat's eye that compensates for the pupil shape... mmmmmh?
I'm not sure how one would go about making it as it needs to be very small total area -- on the order of 0.08mm^2 ...

Now I *could* mount mine on the end of my 645 bellows which allows swings, and the swing would turn the circle into an oval relative to the sensor, but still probably not enough of one to make it a "cat" aperture...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

I'm not sure how one would go about making it as it needs to be very small total area -- on the order of 0.08mm^2 ...

Now I *could* mount mine on the end of my 645 bellows which allows swings, and the swing would turn the circle into an oval relative to the sensor, but still probably not enough of one to make it a "cat" aperture...
I think that's the right idea. Make a circular hole and then mount it at a 45 degree angle. We can play with this in Moab. Putting a large hole in a lens cap followed by a small hole in tin mounted as a U shape at an angle should do it.

Doug

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

I think that's the right idea. Make a circular hole and then mount it at a 45 degree angle. We can play with this in Moab. Putting a large hole in a lens cap followed by a small hole in tin mounted as a U shape at an angle should do it.

Doug
Doug, I'll let you play with it in Moab -- I'm going to have too many normal images to worry about making during the normal shooting times, and too much teaching to do when we're not shooting :)

Yea and some boys too. Okay one for the ladies here. Alright need to get back to work here. More later Oh the second one I could not put on the big screen but hey not going to let my friends miss out on a excellent shot here. I know a little revealing but what a perfect shot. Oly 520 here on the second one. Which I am selling this system
Wow, I knew the housing crisis was tough in the Phoenix area but I thought at least they got away with their clothes! :grin:

Paratom

Playing with my new lens at f2.0. Its quite heavy, and hitting focus at f2.0 isnt that easy, but I really like what I see so far and I also like the focal length of 110mm plus the shorter minimum focusing distance compared to my 80 and 150. I dont know if I need the 150 at all any more, the only reason would be the lower weight for travel.

carstenw

Is that at f/2? Beautiful look! Are both the nose and eyes in focus? That is more DoF than I expected. Is it a crop?

Paratom

Is that at f/2? Beautiful look! Are both the nose and eyes in focus? That is more DoF than I expected. Is it a crop?
Yes Carsten, f2.0 - it looks like the nose and left eye is in focus and yes, it is a little bit cropped.
I also feel that the DOF is slightly more than what I thought, plus I feel the transition between sharp and unsharp looks pleasent.
Here is another sample at f2.0 - just to show the DOF. PLease dont look at the colors - I have problems with my monitor calibration so I dont know if you see is what I see.

carstenw

The look is very nice, the skin tones are little on the magenta side, but if it was cold and your wife had just skied, it might be right. Actually in some areas (neck, cheek, hairline) it is more normal skintones.

On the crop sensor, of course the depth of field is a little deeper, since you will stand a little further back, but it is still a bit more than I expected. I am shooting some film with mine in the next while, on 645, so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I find it interesting how very smooth the background boke is, less like typical Zeiss and more like Leica.

Paratom

The look is very nice, the skin tones are little on the magenta side, but if it was cold and your wife had just skied, it might be right. Actually in some areas (neck, cheek, hairline) it is more normal skintones.

On the crop sensor, of course the depth of field is a little deeper, since you will stand a little further back, but it is still a bit more than I expected. I am shooting some film with mine in the next while, on 645, so it will be interesting to see how it compares.

I find it interesting how very smooth the background boke is, less like typical Zeiss and more like Leica.
Carsten I agree on the skin tone however its not that far away from "reality" and yes, it was after 14km of xc-skiing. This one wasnt cropped.
So far I am really very happy with the look and bokeh of the lens. I didnt expect that sharpness wide open, and its still a very "warm"/smooth look overall. I am looking forward to your opinion when using it with film.
By the way my doesnt like the Sinar at all, she says it looks ugly and like a old film-camera from the 70ties, also she thinks the handling with a WLF is strange. Obviously we have different opinions.
Being used to a M8 I now have to lift weights more often to be trained for using the Rollei with the 110.

carstenw

This is getting a little too 110/2 happy, so I will continue over in the 110/2 thread...

Playing with my new lens at f2.0. Its quite heavy, and hitting focus at f2.0 isnt that easy, but I really like what I see so far and I also like the focal length of 110mm plus the shorter minimum focusing distance compared to my 80 and 150. I dont know if I need the 150 at all any more, the only reason would be the lower weight for travel.
Wow, those are absolutely beautiful. I love the depth of field and bokeh. It seems to gently transition into smooth out of focus colors where IMO a wide aperture 35 mm lens (90/2, 80/1.4, etc.) transitions much more abruptly. Totally different look.

Stuart Richardson

hmm, I am not convinced that people could tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75/1.4 summilux, given web jpgs...the lenses are SO similar. I would post some images to test, but I have to go to bed, and it would take time to resize them so as not to give it right away (of course, most of my 110/2's are 6x6, and my 75/1.4's 2:3)

Status
Not open for further replies.