The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

A stunning picture! If it was me I would turn it into monochrome, something like this below (which was done quick and dirty, but you'll get the point)....
.... on top of that I would remove the antenna and dish from the picture.
Oh.. no.. I would hate to loose the subtle color dégradé of the cold blue/green sea counterweighted by the red of the bricks. For me the colors add a lot to the picture, although it is always interesting to see how a picture would look in B&W. I have nothing against the antennae either and like the three cascading round shapes of the satellite dishes and the road sign.

etrump

Was fortunate to visit the Hallerbos forest near Brussels with a wonderful balance of bluebells and light green foliage. Of course I photographed the usual compositions but had a great time trying some blurs with the XF/IQ3100 kit.

vieri

The Fairy Pools

In its descent towards Loch Brittle, River Brittle (on the isle of Skye in Scotland) forms a constant series of delightful waterfalls and pools. The more famous and photographed of these are called the Fairy Pools, but as is often the case if you'll keep exploring the river you'll find many more photogenic locations worth a stop. This is the Fairly Pools proper.

With the Pentax 645z and the 28-45mm f/4.5.

Michiel Schierbeek

Dieppe

Pentax 645Z Mamiya shift 50/4
I found out that the mamiya shift is actually not very suitable for city nightshots. It flares like crazy, especially with citylights nearby.

Michiel Schierbeek

A stunning picture! If it was me I would turn it into monochrome, something like this below (which was done quick and dirty, but you'll get the point)....
.... on top of that I would remove the antenna and dish from the picture.
Thanks Jaap! I saw this just now.
For me the colours are important, especially since this is from a series on the Normandy/Picardy coastline.
And the ocean on these coasts is constantly changing its colors.
(It would have to be something extremely disturbing before I will ever remove anything from a picture)

Last edited:

vieri

Sgurr Alasdair from Elgol

On the shores of Loch Scavaig lies Elgol, a remote and small village set in a beautiful position facing Sgurr Alasdair, the highest peak both of the Black Cuillin range and of the Isle of Skye in general. Elgol's bay is one of my most beloved locations on Skye, one that never fails to inspire me with its dramatic and always changing landscapes. Here a beehive-shaped stone cliff, the moving clouds and Sgurr Alasdair makes for a surreal, otherworldly landscape.

With the Pentax 645z and the 28-45mm f/4.5.

Last edited:

JohnBrew

H5D-50c. 100 f2.2 @ f16, 4 minutes. Cooper River Bridge, Charleston, SC. I want to thank Eric Peterson of Hasselblad/Bron for allowing me to test this wonderful camera for a few days. Unfortunately we had grey skies and rain most of the time (naturally) but I got out when I could. Fantastic detail from this camera. Jpeg shown here a poor substitute for the RAW out of the camera. Adjustments in ACR. I would have downloaded Phocus and used it, but as most of my images are bw I went with what I know best.

M

mjr

That's a cool looking bridge John, nice shot!

Here's another from my recent messing about with black and white.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Also playing with B+W. Leica S(006), Contax 35/3.5 @f/11. Trying to break my habit of horizontal and vertical lines. ;)

--Matt

mediumcool

Also playing with B+W. Leica S(006), Contax 35/3.5 @f/11. Trying to break my habit of horizontal and vertical lines. ;)

--Matt
I reckon cropping out the dark bits at the bottom would strengthen the composition, with a bit of vignetting to further concentrate the eye. ;)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I reckon cropping out the dark bits at the bottom would strengthen the composition, with a bit of vignetting to further concentrate the eye. ;)
You may well be right. I left the dark part in to provide another layer in what would be otherwise too uniform a texture. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll experiment some more.

--Matt

Ed Hurst

You may well be right. I left the dark part in to provide another layer in what would be otherwise too uniform a texture. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll experiment some more.

--Matt
I find myself a little torn on this. On the one hand, I like the dark area as it 'grounds' the composition, giving it some depth at the bottom, some variation in tones... The arches to the right of the dark area also help to lead the eye in. The trouble is the plain zone to the left of the dark area is a little lacking in detail and, as a result, can be seen as a bit of a distracting 'blob'. On balance, though, i think I would leave the dark area in the shot, as I think it lacks depth without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.