The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

hmm, I am not convinced that people could tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75/1.4 summilux, given web jpgs...the lenses are SO similar. I would post some images to test, but I have to go to bed, and it would take time to resize them so as not to give it right away (of course, most of my 110/2's are 6x6, and my 75/1.4's 2:3)
You could be right, I don't have the lens I'm and just going off images others have posted. I do have a non-apo 90/2 and they definitely render differently than the images I have seen of the 110. I'm guessing it has to do with the imaging surface (film or sensor) being far larger on MF that 35 mm.

Paratom

hmm, I am not convinced that people could tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75/1.4 summilux, given web jpgs...the lenses are SO similar. I would post some images to test, but I have to go to bed, and it would take time to resize them so as not to give it right away (of course, most of my 110/2's are 6x6, and my 75/1.4's 2:3)
Here are 2 with the 75/1.4 - I am not 100% sure the images are taken at f1.4, but I think, or maybe f2.0.

My feeling is that the sharp-unsharp transitions from MF are different and smoother. Also I am kind of having problems focusing the 75lux wide open on the M8 reliable at all distances (even it was at Leica Service together with my M8 for calibration), as I had with the Nocti and the 35lux. This is why I sold the Nocti, dont use the 75lux much, and the only fast M-lens where I feel I can focus it reliable at various distances wide open is the 50asph. It doesnt help that the rangefinder is in the middle-so its kind of tricky if you dont have the eyes in the middle and want to correct focus because the subject is moving. (FOcus-recompose etc. is not working that great for portrait and people as soon as there is some motion)
So I feel with a bright and large viewfinder of a MF camera the chance to hit focus is probably better. Sorry if I talked too much for the subject of the thread (which is more about showing images)
Tom
Cheers, Tom

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Several images from this morning as Lake Michigan groans and hisses at the extreme temperatures ...

etrigan63

You certainly are an early riser Kurt! Excellent shots. I especially like the lighting in the second one.

J

jmvdigital

Still processing some older shots. At least these are MF. Shot with P30+ handheld on a cloudy day.

C

Cancelledreality

Justin, these are great. Love the color.

woodyspedden

Here are 2 with the 75/1.4 - I am not 100% sure the images are taken at f1.4, but I think, or maybe f2.0.

My feeling is that the sharp-unsharp transitions from MF are different and smoother. Also I am kind of having problems focusing the 75lux wide open on the M8 reliable at all distances (even it was at Leica Service together with my M8 for calibration), as I had with the Nocti and the 35lux. This is why I sold the Nocti, dont use the 75lux much, and the only fast M-lens where I feel I can focus it reliable at various distances wide open is the 50asph. It doesnt help that the rangefinder is in the middle-so its kind of tricky if you dont have the eyes in the middle and want to correct focus because the subject is moving. (FOcus-recompose etc. is not working that great for portrait and people as soon as there is some motion)
So I feel with a bright and large viewfinder of a MF camera the chance to hit focus is probably better. Sorry if I talked too much for the subject of the thread (which is more about showing images)
Tom
Cheers, Tom
tom

Your work is so good that I won't argue about your results with the 75 Lux on the M8. I use a magnifier (both Leica 1.25 and the Megaperls 1.33) and have had little trouble hitting the focus. Weird too because I seem to miss on the 35 Cron more often that the 75! LOL that is strange.

However I love the Hassy and hit the focus now more and more often. I use the 100 2.2 HC lens a lot as well as the Zeiss 120 Macro with Zeiss to Hassy adapter. I love the Zeiss 180 as well and have gotten some really good results with it.

No conclusions here. I am not really good with focus as a result of some pretty shaky hands but I seem to be getting the job done. I cannot see myself selling the 75 lux. I loved it from the moment I saw the images Guy took on our Germany Leica/Porsche trip a couple of years ago. I bought one and some of my very best images were taken with it. Jack and Guy both thought that the image I took of the Yosemite valley about 15 minutes after sunset was very good. Would have been sharper perhaps with the 75 Cron but the magic of the lux would have been lost.

Just some thoughts. Draw your own conclusions once you have looked at both solutions.

Woody

Stuart Richardson

I forgot about the whole 110mm 75mm comparison. I put together some images for people to see if they can tell the difference. I will post them in the "opinions of zeiss 110/2" thread, so as to not bog things down here.

Paratom

tom

Your work is so good that I won't argue about your results with the 75 Lux on the M8. I use a magnifier (both Leica 1.25 and the Megaperls 1.33) and have had little trouble hitting the focus. Weird too because I seem to miss on the 35 Cron more often that the 75! LOL that is strange.

However I love the Hassy and hit the focus now more and more often. I use the 100 2.2 HC lens a lot as well as the Zeiss 120 Macro with Zeiss to Hassy adapter. I love the Zeiss 180 as well and have gotten some really good results with it.

No conclusions here. I am not really good with focus as a result of some pretty shaky hands but I seem to be getting the job done. I cannot see myself selling the 75 lux. I loved it from the moment I saw the images Guy took on our Germany Leica/Porsche trip a couple of years ago. I bought one and some of my very best images were taken with it. Jack and Guy both thought that the image I took of the Yosemite valley about 15 minutes after sunset was very good. Would have been sharper perhaps with the 75 Cron but the magic of the lux would have been lost.

Just some thoughts. Draw your own conclusions once you have looked at both solutions.

Woody

Woody,
the funny thing is that so far I dont feel that the 75 Summarit has any disadvantage compared to the 75lux. With the 75lux I sometimes feel that I could like a little bit more contrast. The 75 Summarit has a shorter way for focusing, is lighter, and I feel I focus it more precise (I dont know why).
Thats why I thought why should I keep that 75lux in my selve, if it could serve somebody else with very nice images, and maybe sombody who really wants to also use it at f1.4.
My feel is that certain samples of lenses work very well togehter with a particular sample of a rangefinder camera.
One example: On my rd1 the 35 lux was the one I got best results, on the M8 I feel that I have focus problems. And this even though the 35lux was adjusted together with my particular M8.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

This is an analog pic from Alpa TC Rodenstock Apo Grandagon 45 scanned with Hasselblad 343

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

Alpa TC Rodenstock 45 Apo Grandagon Analog Scan

Last edited:

docmoore

Alpa TC Rodenstock 45 Apo Grandagon Acros 100 Scan

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Doc

Fine work. I love the first one because I thought it was blown highlights but as i looked more closely this combination has tremendous DR. What kind of film did you use.

Woody

docmoore

Doc

Fine work. I love the first one because I thought it was blown highlights but as i looked more closely this combination has tremendous DR. What kind of film did you use.

Woody

Thanks Woody,

That is actually Fuji Pro 800Z color negative film, scanned as positive then inverted and desaturated in channel mixer with CS4....highlights are sitting right at 255 and the top of the stack is probably a little over the top. There is not too much detail there so I got away with it.:rolleyes:

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

A few from yesterday on the Sedona leg of our workshop. These were all from the P45+ on the Mamiya, and I think all are the 120 macro. Processing was done virtually all in C1 including the B&W conversions, but I used CS just for jpegging them as I have not yet figured out how to get C1 to generate a really crisp looking 900 pixel jpeg yet. Hopefully Doug can show me how to do that in C1 when we get to Moab :D

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.