The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

vieri

Balanced Rock at Sunset

Balanced Rock, in Arches NP, at sunset. Pentax 645z, 28-45mm f/4.5, ND and Grad ND filters, polariser, 10 seconds at f/22.

Thank you for viewing, best

Vieri

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
First of all, this is a joke. The thread is "Fun with..", well, I'm having fun. I was very close to where HCB took his fabulous shot of the lower Manhattan court houses. In fact, comparing with the original, I was standing about three feet too far to the right. Not bad by eyeball. Unfortunately for me, I lacked his lighting, subjects, and timing. That leaves only technology, and so this is what's left. Still, it's great architecture even without the grinning lawyers.

The pillars on the left are the State Courthouse, the building with the pillars in the distance is the old Federal Courthouse. More on that later..

--Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

In 1984, I took this with a Pentax 67...

The tall building on the right is the old Federal Courthouse viewed from the back. Yesterday, I was in the same location and took almost the same picture (I didn't have quite as wide a lens this time), but I bet you can identify the NEW Federal courthouse.

Very sad for my friend from whose balcony both shots were taken. He also used to have a great view of the WTC, but lost most of it to the new courthouse, and the rest to later events.

OK, enough history and back to photography.

--Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

Southern Manhattan skyline at dusk, featuring the humbly named "New York by Ghery" building. I can see at least two buildings in which I used to work <shudder>.

Leica S(006), 70 Summarit @f/6.8

--Matt

MGrayson

And finally, something organic - a sunflower growing on my friend's balcony from which I was shooting the skyline.

Leicas S(006), 70 Summarit @ f/2.5. I love S glass wide open!

--Matt

MGrayson

Wait! I lied. One more - this shows the building and balcony from which the other shots were taken. It's the top notch on the right side of the left hand tower - the 24th floor. 35 Summarit @ f/11

--Matt

MGrayson

The same view under flatter light, but a 6 panel stitch with the Leica S 70 for resolution fans. Not visible here, of course, but the original is 13,000 by 6300. Yes, an IQ3100 could almost do that in a single frame with a very wide lens.

Trying your patience,

Matt

cerett

Re: Balanced Rock at Sunset

Balanced Rock, in Arches NP, at sunset. Pentax 645z, 28-45mm f/4.5, ND and Grad ND filters, polariser, 10 seconds at f/22.

Thank you for viewing, best

Vieri
Beautiful capture, snow and all!! I've been there several times and know exactly where you were standing.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Wait! I lied. One more - this shows the building and balcony from which the other shots were taken. It's the top notch on the right side of the left hand tower - the 24th floor. 35 Summarit @ f/11

--Matt
This was NOT taken with a medium format camera, only a Leica Q, but it's a different perspective on the towers shown previously in this thread, and I thought it relevant. I've known these buildings for over 30 years and had never seen them from this PoV. That's Chinatown in the background.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.