The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjr

Some quite nice light this evening as I was wandering about, grabbed a quick shot before it rained.

M

mjr

Afternoon.

I picked up a 55 f2.8 AF lens last week for £150!! Wasn't expecting much but for that price it was worth the risk and just throw it away if it was crap, anyway it's not bad! Miserable start to the day here so found somewhere dark and moody for some testing, I quite like this for just messing around.

Quite nice in black and white too.

Mat

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Afternoon.

I picked up a 55 f2.8 AF lens last week for £150!! Wasn't expecting much but for that price it was worth the risk and just throw it away if it was crap, anyway it's not bad! Miserable start to the day here so found somewhere dark and moody for some testing, I quite like this for just messing around.

Mat
You're worrying me, Mat. At this rate, you'll never get back to the Leica S.:shocked:

I am, of course, joking. Great work with the XF and tech camera! (and you can't really find those kind of deals in lenses that will AF on the S. MF, sure but not like what works on the Phase.)

Best,

Matt

M

mjr

Ha, the S is still in my sights, just not necessary quite yet, still enjoying the XF and the 260 is a really superb back for what I shoot. True, the Phase does really well for cheap lenses with decent performance but they are not the same quality by a long stretch as the S, and what I really miss is that uniformity through the range. Not liking the size and weight either too much compared with the S but I'll live!

I hope you're enjoying the 006, a superb bit of kit, it's what I will buy when the time comes.

Enjoy the weekend.

Mat

pesto

No question about the quality of the S lenses but one can find some real bargains to use with the host of adapters available out there. I just bought a Pentax 300 f/4 with the same thoughts in mind as with your 55 and it has turned out to be quite good.
All the best.

Ha, the S is still in my sights, just not necessary quite yet, still enjoying the XF and the 260 is a really superb back for what I shoot. True, the Phase does really well for cheap lenses with decent performance but they are not the same quality by a long stretch as the S, and what I really miss is that uniformity through the range. Not liking the size and weight either too much compared with the S but I'll live!

I hope you're enjoying the 006, a superb bit of kit, it's what I will buy when the time comes.

Enjoy the weekend.

Mat

MGrayson

Thanks, Mat. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the S.

I was trying to take a pano of the sunset and vastly overexposed one frame. Sadly, I like it more than the "correct" final result.

S(006), 35 Summarit 1/4 second (hand held - oops).

Here's the 3 panel stitch.

--Matt

MGrayson

No question about the quality of the S lenses but one can find some real bargains to use with the host of adapters available out there. I just bought a Pentax 300 f/4 with the same thoughts in mind as with your 55 and it has turned out to be quite good.
All the best.
I had that lens 30 years ago. Great optics, but I just can't MF well enough on the S. I have the split prism focusing screen, but even the Contax 120/4 Macro is just tough to get perfect. Now on the (007), I could use magnified view, but I don't have that feature - yet.

Now the Contax 210/4 is a great deal in an AF lens. The copy I tried, the AF was a bit off at distance, and there's no way to fine tune the AF on the S, so I sent it back.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.