The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

vieri

Neist Point, a classic

Neist Point at sunset, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland.

Taken back in 2015 with the Pentax 645z and 28-45mm. Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri

Charles S

Nice picture but maybe another version with a focus stack where the camera is also in focus would be nice as well. Just a thought :cool:
Thanks for the suggestion. More DOF possibly, but I have never seen a portrait with focus stacking, would eb interested to hear more though,

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Thanks for the suggestion. More DOF possibly, but I have never seen a portrait with focus stacking, would eb interested to hear more though,
You can do a 2 frame focus stack very easily if you have good AF. Move the focus point to one plane, focus, recompose so the focus point is on the other plane, then shoot-focus-shoot very quickly. You'll get two frames with very good registration - easy to combine in stacking software. I've done it successfully more than once.

--Matt

MGrayson

Bethesda Fountain with some drama contributed by the winter sky. S(006), 24 Super Elmar. Cropped to 4:3 (forgive me, Leica! :ROTFL:)

--Matt

pegelli

The way I would do it (and there's certainly other ways) is like Matt suggested take two shots with the same composition (doesn't have to be pixel exact) one with the camera in focus, the other with the young lady in focus. Then in Photoshop put the layer with the smallest area in focus as the lowest layer and put the other one above. Then make a masking layer and paint the camera on the masking layer black which will reveal the sharp camera from the layer below.

Here's an example using the same principle:

Front person in focus:

Rear person in focus (taken a few seconds later)

Combined picture using above technique

More DOF will also influence your background, and you probably don't want that.

I hope the MF folks don't mind me demonstrating this technique with an APS-C file, I have no MF camera :rolleyes:

Charles S

You can do a 2 frame focus stack very easily if you have good AF. Move the focus point to one plane,i focus, recompose so the focus point is on the other plane, then shoot-focus-shoot very quickly. You'll get two frames with very good registration - easy to combine in stacking software. I've done it successfully more than once.

--Matt
thanks for the explanation. it was shot w a V-system, e.g. all manual, but that shouldn't prevent me from giving it a whirl. closing the aperture and increasing the flash power is probably easier (upping the iso over a 100 is not a real option on this back).
i'll report back after i've tried it

Last edited:

scho

You can do a 2 frame focus stack very easily if you have good AF. Move the focus point to one plane, focus, recompose so the focus point is on the other plane, then shoot-focus-shoot very quickly. You'll get two frames with very good registration - easy to combine in stacking software. I've done it successfully more than once.

--Matt
Even faster if you have touch focus/expose live view LCD.

stevenfr

I spent a couple of mornings at this pond last autumn. Just after sunrise the tree shadows would cast across the pond. On this morning there were water droplets on the leaves in the pond. It was kind of tough shooting as the leaves would move with just the slightest breeze. I got numerous compositions over the two days of shooting with the Phase One XF IQ3 100.

MGrayson

Hmmm... well, it IS digital, because I scanned it... Mamiya 7II, 43mm/4.5 @ f/11, Pan F+

The heavyweight addresses on Central Park West. Majestic (partial), Dakota, Langham, San Remo, Kenilworth. Sure, the new money is down on 15 CPW, (or the disgusting megatowers going up on 57th street) but these are the classics. The Dakota - famous for John Lennon's murder and Rosemary's Baby - is much older than anything else up here. There are pictures of it standing surrounded by empty fields in all directions. Hard to imagine today.

Another shot that shows the Majestic more clearly. This one looks good at Web size, but wasn't focused as well.

--Matt

BANKER1

Nice picture but maybe another version with a focus stack where the camera is also in focus would be nice as well. Just a thought :cool:
That occurred to me, but after thinking about it, I felt her face was the subject of this picture and the "in focus" camera would have distracted my attention.

MGrayson

Michiel,

Indeed, it is there. Far left in the first pic, just left of center in the second. Beautiful building!

--Matt (sorry about the auto spell mangling your name)

Last edited:

MGrayson

One more go at the Bethesda Fountain. This time with a) more pigeons and b) the Sun in a different place. Don't you love the variety possible in capturing landmarks? (My friend who shoots celebrity portraits has a similar, but worse problem. As he pointed out, buildings don't have publicists.)

Leica S(006), 24 Super Elmar.

--Matt

vieri

Playa de Ballota at sunrise

Playa de Ballota, Asturias, at sunrise.

Leica S, Summarit-S 35mm, 8 seconds @ f/16. Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.