The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

I have always wanted to go to Sedona and am really loving those shots of it.

Since I can't be there, I can only post of the nice place I do go a lot - St Ives in Cornwall and the surrounding coast.

P45+ on Phamiya, 80mm @1/40th F16 ISO50, tripod and a bitter wind!
View attachment 11244

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Guy and Jack,

What wonderful light you found! I spent the morning digging holes around the flower beds and would much rather be on the road to Moab.

Please keep the pictures coming. I love to live vicariously.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

St Ives in Cornwall and the surrounding coast.

...and a bitter wind!
View attachment 11244
Tim, I love the first picture...is that virga on the right side? Gorgeous view of the coast.

I have two days after Easter while visiting our daughter at OX1 and may try to make it to Cornwall after seeing your pictures.

Bob

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim, I love the first picture...is that virga on the right side? Gorgeous view of the coast.

I have two days after Easter while visiting our daughter at OX1 and may try to make it to Cornwall after seeing your pictures.

Bob
Thanks Bob!

The distant lighthouse island is Godrevy, viewed in the first shot from Porthkidney Beach near Hayle (one of the most stunning beaches in the world) and in the second shot from Bamaluz Beach in St. Ives. Both places are a loooong way from Oxford: the nearest big town is Penzance, and St Ives takes over five hours from London by train. Worth it though!

Sussex isn't bad either: view from my desk today...
View attachment 11256

Best

Tim

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member

Jack,

Can you add a few of your quick impressions of the Mamiya 120/4 macro. The images you recently posted look good. I've been tempted by that lens for awhile and am wondering if it is worth having both that and the 150/2.8D ... although the price is reasonable compared much of the other newer lenses that have recently been introduced.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Our internet is very weak but we are in Chinle or Canyon De Chelley. I am out of order but this is pretty cool. Last 10 minutes of light and we made it to this spot. I think there is a cop still looking for that buzz going flying by.LOL

This is MF a 6 shot vertical Pano stitch with the 80mm in Canyon De Chelley. BTW driving through Flag we drove through a snow storm and up to 50 miles wind gusts all day long. We are wind burned but we had a ball anyway

Guy Mancuso

These are from the Petrified National Forest MF with 28mm and 150mm lenses. I could spend several days here

Don Libby

This will have to be a work in progress until I get home and on a larger computer. The image was taken in Stout Grove, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park (where they filmed Jurassic Park).

Cambo RS 1000, 72mm lens, P45+ 3 images stitched together. Just a side note but I’m using the CUBE and it is without a doubt the easiest and best camera head I’ve had the pleasure using; I’m getting the camera level no matter the terrain – end commercial.

Guy – that’s a stunning panorama kinda makes me wish I was there.

don

M

msglueck

Guys, thanks for these threads. After following them for some time, I though I'll have to contribute something too.

In order of apperance:

Beach toy, St. Cyr, France (Rolleiflex GX Planar 2.8/80mm)

Pink flower, France (6008AF, Schneider 4/300mm APO + tubes)

Tenerife, Spain (Mamiya 7 + 80mm)

Cheers, Markus

jlm

Workshop Member

Bob:
much prefer your second nude shot, the first one looks too artificial to my eye

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Bob:
much prefer your second nude shot, the first one looks too artificial to my eye
Thanks, John.
This one actually was more set up than the other, but it really does look like something that could jave just happened.
-bob

carstenw

Great shots, sinwen and Guy.

Guy, I normally don't fiddle with nature, but that dark cloud streak just over the tips of the mountains is something I might remove. It just distracts in exactly that location. Does it actually hit the mountains?

Guy Mancuso

:D I cheated . It was from another sunset shot. I did it on my laptop in a hurry this morning before we start out. I need my desktop for that stuff , can't really see what I want to see. I will redo it later on from the Mac Pro with a much bigger screen. Nice pickup

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Jack,

Can you add a few of your quick impressions of the Mamiya 120/4 macro. The images you recently posted look good. I've been tempted by that lens for awhile and am wondering if it is worth having both that and the 150/2.8D ... although the price is reasonable compared much of the other newer lenses that have recently been introduced.

Kurt
Hi Kurt:

First impression is very positive-- and note my version is not the most current one, but the previous AF version. It is extremely sharp when used in the macro through about 5 meter subject distances. Of course it is still sharp at infinity, but honestly lacks the 'punch' the 150 D lens has there -- mind you, I am talking a very slight back seat here. Bokeh can be jagged at times yet quite pleasing at others -- f5.6 seems to be the sweet-spot for nice oof rendering with medium close subjects. Here the 150 D IMO delivers a little better Bokeh most of the time, but again, the 120's is certainly not horrible. The big advantage of the macro is it can go from infinity to 1:1 with a twist on the ring, so it makes a superb all-around outdoor/landscape lens.

If weight was an issue, I would never carry both the 120 and 150 at the same time, as they're about the same size and weight. Both are great in their respective zones, and while they cross over into each other's territories, they retain enough independence for me to justify owning both.

PS: Lots of great images above folks, keep them coming!

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.