The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Gale

I was in Yosemite the past few days and this was yesterday morning (1/21/17) after it snowed 8 to 10 inches and was still snowing. I planed to stay last night but the park closed all campgrounds because of expected wind and blizzard conditions.

Mr.G

Hasselblad H4D-50, HC50-110 @ 110

Attachments

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Took the 645z out for a spin this afternoon. Dreary nasty weather but thought it was also a good chance to put the weatherproofing to a test....and long exposure capabilities The background is a little too busy for my taste and I didn't isolate the island as much as I wanted to, but I'll have plenty of chances to go back. 80-160mm @130mm, f10, big stopper, 384 sec exposure (long exposure noise reduction was off so no dark frame).
View attachment 124036
Why such a long exposure? Was it actually dark? Or is it a typo? Or should I say why big stopper?
But I love that first shot!
Bill

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was in Yosemite the past few days and this was yesterday morning (1/21/17) after it snowed 8 to 10 inches and was still snowing. I planed to stay last night but the park closed all campgrounds because of expected wind and blizzard conditions.

Mr.G

Hasselblad H4D-50, HC50-110 @ 110
Small world ... me too. If you saw a white jeep with Colorado plates zipping around it was me!

I heard that they cleared out the campsites mid day - another shooter was there with his truck camper and got moved out. However, I did see someone with a fifth wheel camped off the side of the road approaching the chapel. That surprised me.

ps good catch with fox/coyote!

Last edited:

tcdeveau

Why such a long exposure? Was it actually dark? Or is it a typo? Or should I say why big stopper?
But I love that first shot!
Bill
Thanks Bill. No typo, exposure was about 6.5 minutes and then DNG was actually pushed +1.5ev in post. I guess to answer your question just because I could? Haha. I've only had the 645z about two months but haven't pushed any shots beyond 30 seconds or so. Ive been wanting to give longer exposures a shot to see what the camera is capable of, and it was a dim and dreary day (heavy rain throughout the day) and I had a big stopper in my bag, so that's what I did :)
-Todd

ejpeiker

My most successful Medium Format image of 2016. This is an aerial shot taken from a helicopter with the doors removed in a steep bank shooting straight down at 2000 feet AGL in northwestern Australia's Kimberley region where the Ord River meets the Timor Sea. No color manipulation in post - it really looks like this! Phase One XF-IQ3100, SK 80mm, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/2500s...
AUS_Wyndham36.jpg

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My most successful Medium Format image of 2016. This is an aerial shot taken from a helicopter with the doors removed in a steep bank shooting straight down at 2000 feet AGL in northwestern Australia's Kimberley region where the Ord River meets the Timor Sea. No color manipulation in post - it really looks like this! Phase One XF-IQ3100, SK 80mm, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/2500s...
View attachment 124074
Fabulous - congratulations EJ !
Bill

dchew

EJ,
Wonderful image. The chaos theory and fractal nature implications are striking. Something I am always searching for in nature and in my images. You've captured it beautifully.

Dave

D&A

View attachment 124074
When I was in my pre teen years, there was a hobby kit with thin sheets of copper (like tin foil but thicker), where one could trace the outline of almost any item (like a big leaf), by rolling over the copper foil with the tracing pencil and it would result in peaks and valleys outlining the underlying subject just like your image. Are you sure you didn't use your P&S to take an image of a copper tracing? LOL!

Truly a remarkable image...not only because it was taken from a helicopter, but of the surreal capture that also emulates a unique beautiful work of art that also represents our beautiful planet. Lovely!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Ed Hurst

View attachment 124074
A stunning shot! I too have shot out of a banking helicopter with no doors on so that I could shoot vertically downwards - but never in somewhere as wild as the Kimberley. Only over Sydney Harbour. I was expecting it to feel terrifying but strangely it didn't. Perhaps it was concentrating on the shot that took my mind off it! CMOS sensors that allow high quality ISO400 shots certainly help helicopter shots, don't they?

ejpeiker

When I was in my pre teen years, there was a hobby kit with thin sheets of copper (like tin foil but thicker), where one could trace the outline of almost any item (like a big leaf), by rolling over the copper foil with the tracing pencil and it would result in peaks and valleys outlining the underlying subject just like your image. Are you sure you didn't use your P&S to take an image of a copper tracing? LOL!

Truly a remarkable image...not only because it was taken from a helicopter, but of the surreal capture that also emulates a unique beautiful work of art that also represents our beautiful planet. Lovely!

Dave (D&A)
That was my feeling of it too and in experimenting with printing it, it looks just like what you describe when printing it on metalic pearl paper.

D&A

That was my feeling of it too and in experimenting with printing it, it looks just like what you describe when printing it on metalic pearl paper.
What an interesting choice of paper to print this image on. Must look stunning.

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.