The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

I finally received my PhaseOne XF camera system along with the IQ150 back and the 80mm blue ring lens. After reading through all material and some tests, I finally made some pictures of my son in my home studio today. A few observations moving from a DSLR:

• Man this thing is heavy!
  • Coming from a DSLR, I guess I have to get used to the slow and sometimes inaccurate Autofocus. I got the half body shots in focus, but I could get only 1/3rd of the full length ones in focus. I guess this is where the Hasselblad AF shines. I was shooting at f/3.5 (I know its too shallow), but on my canon I shoot at f/1.2 :) I'm just a shallow DOF guy.
  • I hope PhaseOne implements something like a true focus through a firmware update. I've read Doug's article on gyroscopes being already present in the XF body. One of the many reasons why I stretched even more to invest in the XF body.
  • Colors and detail are fascinating & superb!
  • That shutter clap though!!!
  • The focus assist beam can be quite a distraction. I had a hard time getting my son to keep his eyes open.
  • I was anxious whether the Phase system will work with my existing Godox lights. It seems to be working so far. I still need to see though till what maximum shutter speed will it sync with the leaf shutter.

Well so thats about it so far.

P1_CF000047_SM.jpg

P1_CF000045_SM.jpg

Here's the setup for these two shots. This is shot with the Canon. I couldn't move back any further, so had to switch to my Canon to get the scene in frame. The large modifier is a 7ft silver deep umbrella and the background is a Gravity Backdrops background.

P1_9O3A2676_Canon_SM.jpg

Hope you like it! Let me know what you think...

Cheers!

algrove

debarata.ray

Suggest mirror lockup prior to actual shot,
Turn off focus assist light.
Make sure to trim each lens!!!
Use ES where possible for zero vibrations
Turn on seismograph
These are off the top of my head as I am sure there are more.

Oh, resolution is so good maybe iron son's shirt.

stngoldberg

This is a real Eygtian Duck, but this marvelous sensor leads you to believe that it is a wooden painted one
Phase One 100 megapixel back on Hasselblad 210mm len with 1.7 extender
Stanley

Shashin

I don't know why, but I have been thinning about summer--it is too cold to go out now, so I should not be able to complain about the weather.

Things would grow (things except icicles). My blackberry harvest I am still enjoying, we freeze them for the winter. My peaches did not last the season. ;) BTW, the white stuff on the peaches is Surround, a kaolin clay used to protect the fruit from pests. And then there were the long days and warm air. And the air had that smell of green. You know that smell, a sort of rich, organic odor of plant life.

Still, I am not missing the ticks and mosquitoes...

Shashin

I was doing Behind the Scenes at a shoot of Ghost Army veterans at the Penumbra Foundation Tintype Studio. The Ghost Army was a WWII unit that made, among other things, inflatable tanks and had sound recordings of divisions on the move that would convince enemy reconnaissance that forces were in the wrong place. Since the tintypes called for something older than digital, I shot some film (Mamiya 7II, 65mm f/4, HP5+). Here is John Jarvie waiting for the collodion:

Best,

Matt
+1 more like...

stevenfr

Hunting for images for one of the galleries that represent my work and found this image from a spring shoot on the east coast. Dreaming of spring, we just got another snow storm, kind of rare for us to get this much snow on the west coast of Canada.

Steven

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was doing Behind the Scenes at a shoot of Ghost Army veterans at the Penumbra Foundation Tintype Studio. The Ghost Army was a WWII unit that made, among other things, inflatable tanks and had sound recordings of divisions on the move that would convince enemy reconnaissance that forces were in the wrong place. Since the tintypes called for something older than digital, I shot some film (Mamiya 7II, 65mm f/4, HP5+). Here is John Jarvie waiting for the collodion:

Best,

Matt
:thumbs:

sc_john

You folks are tough acts to follow, but here goes...

Morris Island Light, first lit in 1876, deactivated in 1962.

Phase One 55mm LS

Mamiya 210

John

D&A

debarata.ray

Suggest mirror lockup prior to actual shot,
Turn off focus assist light.
Make sure to trim each lens!!!
Use ES where possible for zero vibrations
Turn on seismograph
These are off the top of my head as I am sure there are more.

Oh, resolution is so good maybe iron son's shirt.
What a cute and photographic subject that young man is!

Louis, the crumpled shirt look is "in"! In our generation it was the bell bottom look, in his generation its probably going to be the "come as you are"...its the person in the clothes that matters. :)

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.