The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

stngoldberg

Kudos to you. You saw a beautiful human being and you wanted to photograph her (after your wife's approval, naturally (looks like she is keeping you on a short leash ;) )). I hope you can meet her again and give her the photograph.

However, as photographers we need to be aware of the social complexity we live in. Taking a photograph, unfortunately, is not a neutral act. A photographer was harassed by photographing near a children's play ground and accused of pedophilia. Hispanics are targeted as "illegals," Muslims as terrorist, Blacks as thugs. She may be here legally, but maybe not every one in her community. We have just deported a woman without legal residency, separating her from her husband and two children, all US citizens, simply for her annual check in at the immigration office. Immigration raids have just been started up again in immigrant communities. And if she is here legally, she may not feel safe. We have just recently denied legal US residents entry into the US for no more reason than national origin. And if she is a citizen, she could already have experience other Americans telling her to go to "her own country." Someone calling the police on her because they think she could be "illegal" is just harassment, but it happens. Yes, she may be very worried that someone is trying to take her picture.

I remember traveling for six weeks in the Tibet region of China. When I was photographing in the Jokhang, probably the holiest site in Lhasa, a monk came up to me and started talking politics. I did not engage the conversation for two reasons. He could be a member of the Chinese secret service and trying to figure out my motives for photographing--this was toward the end of my trip and I did not want my film confiscated. The other reason is he could be sincere, but I might be putting him in harm by having such a conversation. I am sure the Chinese would have agents in his community. The thing is that I would never know if that conversation would have brought him harm.

I am glad you engaged with this human being. I wish we had more people in this country as open as you. But if you wanted to know why she was frightened and why her companions were watching you closely, sadly photography has become as much of a threat as a form of expression.

Thank you for your comments!
The community I live in here in Florida has 1600 homes; so after driving around for a hour or so, I could not find her.
I did find the head foreman of the landscape company and give him the photograph, in a vinyl jacket, with instructions to give it to my model.
Regarding your comments regarding the complexity of photographing people, it has become a matter of good manners for me.
I ask...request permission to invade their privacy, and in many cases I am refused.
I can live with that
Stanley

aztwang

Re: Fun with MF images- 62 Ferrari 250 GTO

For many of you car lovers I don't need to say much. This car was amazing! I could not get a straight answer from the owner if this was THE car, If my memory serves me right there were 36 of these cars produced....but he was holding a car mag that had the GTO 250 on the cover that sold for 38 Million back in 2015 and he was flipping pages showing me several pics of THIS ACTUAL car in the magazine!? Custom Name0015.jpgCustom Name0014.jpgCustom Name0013.jpgCustom Name0012.jpgCustom Name0011.jpg

Last edited:

vieri

Playa de Silencio

Playa de Silencio, in the Asturias (Spain) after sunset...

Pentax 645z, 28-45mm. Best,

Vieri

In two words...Love it! :thumbs: Lets just say "It's Another day at the Beach"! Hmm you mentioned..."at times laying on the ground". One question...who? You or the penguins or BOTH? :)

Dave (D&A)
LOL thanks Dave. Definitely BOTH laying on the ground. Being a photographer is like being a kid again, you can roll around on the dirt and claim it was all for your art :)

stevenfr

This image of beech trees is from Milford Sound in New Zealand. It was taken during a bucketing rainstorm. My wife held the umbrella for me to get this shot. We were soaked to the bone.

Steven

Nick-T

This image of beech trees is from Milford Sound in New Zealand. It was taken during a bucketing rainstorm. My wife held the umbrella for me to get this shot. We were soaked to the bone.

Steven
That's very pretty Steven. Apparently Milford sound has the wettest post office in the world. We are pretty good at rain down here.

stevenfr

Thanks for the feedback Nick. We have been to the South Island four times. There are so many opportunities for landscape photography.

Steven

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.