The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Libby

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Three images offered:

The finished image is 42x31 and is comprised of 6 images (2 rows 3 images each row).

The second image is 4 images layered for focus.

Third image is 2 images layered for focus.

I had attempted to stitch the first image using my Dell XPS M1330 (dual core/4GB RAM) but keep hitting the RAM wall. I could do limited stitching even when I had my P30+ back thus I knew it was only a matter of time before upgrading. While I could perform limited stitching there just wasn't anyway to get the computer to do a focal layer thus I was left not knowing if I had gotten what I wanted till I got home.

So being frustrated and not handling it well at all I decided that I needed a newer traveling laptop one that will be able to keep up with the type of images I like to shoot. I ordered a new Dell Precision M6400 2 weeks ago and it arrived here on Friday just in time for my next trip (leaving tomorrow morning). Now I have a big 17" quad core 8GB 2 disk big hawking machine (did I mention it'll go up to 16GB?) that has 2 hard drives. The image is a result of trying out the machine this morning. I'd say I finally have a laptop that is very close to being an equal to my studio computer; and yes I'm happy.

All images shot using a Cambo RS1000, P45+ and 35mm lens - can't forget the Cube!:clap:

Don

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim, did you do anything special to get so much depth of field? Or is the crop just really dramatic?
Hi Carsten,

Am temporarily separated from the original file but the crop is to 20 or 25% of the original.... and I used f16...

tashley

Subscriber Member

Three images offered:

The finished image is 42x31 and is comprised of 6 images (2 rows 3 images each row).

The second image is 4 images layered for focus.

Third image is 2 images layered for focus.

I had attempted to stitch the first image using my Dell XPS M1330 (dual core/4GB RAM) but keep hitting the RAM wall. I could do limited stitching even when I had my P30+ back thus I knew it was only a matter of time before upgrading. While I could perform limited stitching there just wasn't anyway to get the computer to do a focal layer thus I was left not knowing if I had gotten what I wanted till I got home.

So being frustrated and not handling it well at all I decided that I needed a newer traveling laptop one that will be able to keep up with the type of images I like to shoot. I ordered a new Dell Precision M6400 2 weeks ago and it arrived here on Friday just in time for my next trip (leaving tomorrow morning). Now I have a big 17" quad core 8GB 2 disk big hawking machine (did I mention it'll go up to 16GB?) that has 2 hard drives. The image is a result of trying out the machine this morning. I'd say I finally have a laptop that is very close to being an equal to my studio computer; and yes I'm happy.

All images shot using a Cambo RS1000, P45+ and 35mm lens - can't forget the Cube!:clap:

Don
Hey Don,

I sympathise: current bleeding edge file sizes are ahead of a lot of computing power: I get ticked off that you can't get more than 4mb RAM in an Apple laptop without paying hostage prices and even then it doesn't go anywhere near far enough.

As to the photos. Love the first one though I suspect I'd really love it a lot if I could see it as nature intended in a huge print! The second one I find visually disturbing to be honest. It's not the composition or the exposure at all, it all makes for a very nice shot - but the second I saw it my brain told me something was wrong. I guess (you said there were three images but there are only two) that this is the one with Helicon focus and if so, it tells me I was maybe right to be suspicious of the idea. Like HDR software it is doing something so fundamentally digital to the file (in other words, something that replaces, as with HDR, stuff that is normally worked out subtly between the brain and the eye) that it sends 'beware' signals ringing in my brain. I can imagine using that effect creatively to unsettle but to me it looks unreal in a weird way...

Not being rude here at all, you are a top-flight chap and photographer, just raising the concern!

t

EDIT: Ok the third image just showed up on my monitor! Both two and three are mildly disturbing, rather Blair Witch. It reminds me of stuff I've been experimenting with using the Hartblei, trying to get the plane of focus on the forest floor so the trunks ascend into OOF but I have yet to get it exactly right and teh end result is a strange mix of what is and what is not in focus giving a warped or nightmarish effect that I hadn't intended but will no doubt find a use for!

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member

brings up a point...human vision does have a typically large apparent DOF, so wouldn't a photographic image with extended DOF via Helicon seem natural, compared to vision?

maybe it's those logs jutting into the foreground, the sort of thing that would make certain pics better candidate sfor a 3-D stereo image

Stuart Richardson

I guess I sort of share tashley's general thought process. I don't know, call me backward, but I have an inherent bias against things like stitching, focus stacking and things like that. I have a very basic sense of the uniqueness of each image -- each moment. Mushing a few together just strikes me as wrong for what I like to do. I am not against others doing it, but it no longer feels like photography to me...it feels like something else.

Of course, this does not take away from the effect -- I think the images Don posted are beautiful!

jlm

Workshop Member

just to keep the thoughts going...what about forward tilting the film plane to get near/far focus for a landscape? or shifting to keep building edges vertical, even though they converge to the eye? (remember the greeks tapered their columns to accentuate the perspective of height!) plenty of instances from antiquity where perspective was tweaked to make things look...real (Pozzos ceiling comes to mind)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratura

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

I guess I sort of share tashley's general thought process. I don't know, call me backward, but I have an inherent bias against things like stitching, focus stacking and things like that. I have a very basic sense of the uniqueness of each image -- each moment. Mushing a few together just strikes me as wrong for what I like to do. I am not against others doing it, but it no longer feels like photography to me...it feels like something else.

Of course, this does not take away from the effect -- I think the images Don posted are beautiful!
I agree with both the sentiment about capture and the thought that Don's pictures are exquisite.

I went for a walk this morning and would like to post a few one shot captures...

Alpa Apo Grandagon 45 H3DII 39

Bob

Last edited:

carstenw

I guess I sort of share tashley's general thought process.
Tim, each time you see someone call you "tashley", you should go home and thank your parents for having the good sense not to give you "Robert" as a middle name. That is, if they didn't...

docmoore

Another view of the lake...

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

Cove near the end

Bob

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member

just to keep the thoughts going...what about forward tilting the film plane to get near/far focus for a landscape? or shifting to keep building edges vertical, even though they converge to the eye? (remember the greeks tapered their columns to accentuate the perspective of height!) plenty of instances from antiquity where perspective was tweaked to make things look...real (Pozzos ceiling comes to mind)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratura
I could not agree more. Whenever I see brochures for tech cameras extolling the virtues of perspective correction, I look at the 'corrected' images and my brain says 'no'. I have made a personal vow that as of now, when I have a fully functioning tech setup with shift, I will always tilts the camera downwards a little when shifting so as to give mildly converging verticals. I think it will look a lot more natural but need to experiment to find the right degree...

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim, each time you see someone call you "tashley", you should go home and thank your parents for having the good sense not to give you "Robert" as a middle name. That is, if they didn't...
Or George. I'm not telling you what my nickname was at Oxford. Or why.

carstenw

Hehe, if we ever meet, I will be sure to invite you to a beer or three, and then I'll ask you again :)

I agree about the shifting for perspective correction. When the upper-front corners of buildings get too pointy, my brain rebels and I prefer a non-shifted version. I do prefer the use of slight shift though, if nothing more dramatic is needed to stop the converging verticals.

Stuart Richardson

Well perspective correction does not bother me depending on how wide it gets -- it is still an instant capture -- a single moment and single capture. That is the sticking point for me.

docmoore

I agree with both the sentiment about capture and the thought that Don's pictures are exquisite.

I went for a walk this morning and would like to post a few one shot captures...

Bob
All three pics were not corrected for Lens Cast

Reposted here.

Bob

Last edited:

docmoore

A bit of a change...a few night shots. All with H3D II 38 with HC 80.

Store Front 1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.