The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayhand

Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Thank´s Don for those kind word´s :)
I must say that I do find your work inspiring for my nature photography!

Ray

tashley

Subscriber Member
Abstracts with strange methodology!

One of England's finest and largest bluebell woodlands is near where I live and is incredibly beautiful not only to look at but to sniff! I've become spoilt over the years and have taken loads of fairly conventional shots but this year I decided that the real thrill is the interplay of colour and light rather than the specifics of leaf, bark and bell. I've been waiting for a misty dawn or a moony night to play with but go there today in regular pleasant weather and thought that I'd have a go at making the abstraction to colours via in-camera methods only. I'm not a great fan of 'fun with filters' so I ban trips to Photoshop other than for soft-proofing and so on, preferring to do as much as I can in camera and RAW development.

I tried two methods. Both involved 1 second exposures which I achieved by using a polarising filter as ND, and F22 on the Scheider 35XL/Cambo RS1000.

For the first I merely twisted the vertical levelling knob on my Frotto head during the exposure then turned the result on its side. I did use lens distortion correction in Photoshop, since this method creates a slight hourglass effect on the stripes of colour and I preferred them straighter.

For the second shot I set the camera to 10mm of rise and then released the shutter as I evenly returned the lens to zero shift during exposure. Easier said than done. I then tweaked some sliders on the result and cropped.

But I quite like the results. Just printing now... they look a bit gimmicky for my taste but I'm sure I can refine the effects over time.

Both on a Phase P45+ at ISO 50

Best

Tim

View attachment 15371

View attachment 15370

eleanorbrown

Hi Tim, I also prefer the second image. As I type this I'm printing up a few of my painted light series taken with my 45+ on an H2. Use various shutter speeds coupled with camera movement. I don't do "manipulation" in Photoshop as that is just not my bag, but for me camera movement is OK. Eleanor

tashley

Subscriber Member

Thanks Guys (and Girls!)

I prefer the second one too though now I have settled on final crops that look best in print and it's actually the first one I prefer in this case...

Eleanor, how do you achieve your camera movements? I'm just off to your site to take a look at your work.

Best

Tim

View attachment 15389

View attachment 15390

eleanorbrown

Tim, Camera movements are really easy (but definitely don't always give decent results!)...hand held and try different shutter speeds. I've learned that certain type of movements with camera giver certain results...ie: "up and down smooth, up and down jerky, down smooth, also vary the length of the strokes gives different results. always a challenge. I don't like photoshopping using filters and software "tricks" but using my camera for effects is OK in my mind. Eleanor

Thanks Guys (and Girls!)

I prefer the second one too though now I have settled on final crops that look best in print and it's actually the first one I prefer in this case...

Eleanor, how do you achieve your camera movements? I'm just off to your site to take a look at your work.

Best

Tim

View attachment 15389

View attachment 15390

Don Libby

Doing some other work this morning and decided to take a creative break and decided to finish this image.

Don

tashley

Subscriber Member

Doing some other work this morning and decided to take a creative break and decided to finish this image.

Don
Don, that's simply lovely - such fine and subtle light and so simply done.

We must compare notes on the RS1000 sometime. Do you find that it sometimes slips (with the help of a passing hand) into a few mm of rise or fall? I sometimes find after working for half an hour or so that it's at plus or minus a bit and that I don't know when that happened. :-(

Otherwise I love it. I screw it onto the tripod and then carry the whole thing with me from place to place, with nothing else other than an LCC sheet. No light meter, no finder, no spare anything. It's great!

Best

Tim

tashley

Subscriber Member

Tim, Camera movements are really easy (but definitely don't always give decent results!)...hand held and try different shutter speeds. I've learned that certain type of movements with camera giver certain results...ie: "up and down smooth, up and down jerky, down smooth, also vary the length of the strokes gives different results. always a challenge. I don't like photoshopping using filters and software "tricks" but using my camera for effects is OK in my mind. Eleanor
I think for the moment I am getting the most interesting results on a tech camera by moving the rear standard during exposure: I like the exact lines of smear it produces. It's just hard to do smoothly.

I looked at you site and greatly enjoyed it but my favourite picture of yours altogether is CF001562-2 (the barn with the stars and stripes). I really wished I'd taken that one; It would really fit my current project. Me jealous!

Best

Tim

Don Libby

Peter & Tim thank you both for the kind words.

Tim, I've gotten into the habit of checking the zero before I shoot as well as the shutter as both have a tenacity to move while in the bag or as I taken it out of the bag. I figure it's just another joy of shooting with a technical camera.

I'm getting such good work from my RS1000 that I'm beginning to start thinking about selling my Phase AFD and lens.

I've just finished an update on my blog addressing the Cambo RS1000 and P45+. I think it'll be a two parter as I failed to address capture work flow.

Don

tashley

Subscriber Member

I'm getting such good work from my RS1000 that I'm beginning to start thinking about selling my Phase AFD and lens.

Don
Ditto... I am enjoying my 5DII so much more than the 1DSIII I sold and finding that its use for me rather overlaps the Phamiya. I'm slowly realizing that the Cambo unlocks the potential of the back in a way the Phamiya less frequently achieves (in my hands and for my purposes!)

I've just finished an update on my blog addressing the Cambo RS1000 and P45+. I think it'll be a two parter as I failed to address capture work flow.

Don
I'll take a look... thanks!

Tim

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Interesting...
I find myself usig the P45+ more with the Cambo than with the Phamiya,
The 5DII is a real dslr (just the right caliber for fast moving small animals and young children)
The streets still are owned by the M8.
at least for me
-bob

tashley

Subscriber Member

Interesting...
I find myself usig the P45+ more with the Cambo than with the Phamiya,
The 5DII is a real dslr (just the right caliber for fast moving small animals and young children)
The streets still are owned by the M8.
at least for me
-bob
Bob, you are a man of impeccable taste and credentials, clearly! My current mains squeezes are

* P45+ with Cambo for MF
* 5DII with assorted glass, especially an R 50 Cron for 'slr' type stuff
* Pentax K20D for surfing shots (I have a nice telephoto for it)
* M8 for street and anything requiring gorgeous bokeh
* Panny G1 for lazy outings where anything might happen but the intent is not photographic
* Sigma DP1 in the glovebox
* Ricoh GRDII for drunken nights out (it slow sync is verrry cool!)
* Sony W300 with housing for fun in/under water use

The Sony can make very large and exciting prints when the wind is in the right direction and is a real sleeper

And Guy thinks he's a gear slut. Boy oh boy!

;-)

Don Libby

I still have my 1Ds II that I use for the occasional wildlife and lightning images other than that the Cambo RS is my go to camera.

Okay I'll admit I also carry a G9 in my pocket for fun shots.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.