The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images - ARCHIVED - FOR VIEWING ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Re: Fun with MF images - Part 3

Bob, you are a man of impeccable taste and credentials, clearly! My current mains squeezes are

* P45+ with Cambo for MF
* 5DII with assorted glass, especially an R 50 Cron for 'slr' type stuff
* Pentax K20D for surfing shots (I have a nice telephoto for it)
* M8 for street and anything requiring gorgeous bokeh
* Panny G1 for lazy outings where anything might happen but the intent is not photographic
* Sigma DP1 in the glovebox
* Ricoh GRDII for drunken nights out (it slow sync is verrry cool!)
* Sony W300 with housing for fun in/under water use

The Sony can make very large and exciting prints when the wind is in the right direction and is a real sleeper

And Guy thinks he's a gear slut. Boy oh boy!

;-)
Cannot add in the moment WRT MF (simply because I need to buy one - lucky me), but it will likely be a Phase or Haselblad solution.

But on the rest:

1) 5D2 is my favorite DSLR, much preferred to my Nikon stuff I am slowly selling ....
2) M8 for street and people shots, great system once you learn how to deal with the issues :angel:
3) Panasonic or Dlux4/Dlux3 P&S, the G10 I owned went very fast for sale again, I just did not like the operation of this camera

WRT tech camera - not sure yet, but this is another appealing version if I go with a Phase system and thus with a Phase back (most probably the P45+ for its great price / performance / IQ combination) ;)

jlm

Workshop Member

the bowl room with a couple of hull templates on the wall, probably been hanging there for 70 years

Dale Allyn

Nice work, John. The bowl room is very cool. I like the light that you captured there. That space looks like one could spend hours there photographing any number of things. Thanks.

steflaurent974

John , these shots are really gorgeous ; I do particuliary appreciate the colors and rust textures. Do you set AWB, or do a manual greycard recording when shooting ? In fact I'm sure these shots are plenty of rust details.
Since I'm looking at this thread, you have a serious series on this (boat, shipyard, ...)

thanks for sharing.

stephane

carstenw

Gorgeous portraits, Graham! Is that a 150mm for the first and 50mm for the second?

carstenw

Interesting. I thought about the 40mm for the second one, due to the proximity of the piano on the right, but I would have expected to see some distortion somewhere. Good lens.

jlm

Workshop Member

thanks for the props.
i was shooting raw with the P20 iso 50, set to daylight,processed in C1, no color adjustment was used, just a tweak of the exposure curve
that bowl room shot was a 4 sec exposure at f8

i have been shooting in the navy yard for quite some time, and still find something interesting

steflaurent974

Well john,
the daylight WB preset gives you really good results. From my part I do prefer using the greycard shot to be sure of the colors.
Especially with landscape photo, I don't at this time manage to have the colors of that particular tropical light we've got here with the P25+ ; even at sunset, the light is hard, and the colors difficult to render.

Graham Mitchell

The natural light is beautiful. Good portraits, handheld or tripod ?
Thanks - it's mostly not natural light, but I'm glad you thought so :) I was shooting handheld to experiment with compositions and once I had the framing I wanted, it was on the tripod (so these shots are tripod mounted). It was really necessary this time as the piano shot required 0.5s exposure to get the windows looking bright!

D

ddk

Beautiful portraits Graham, love the warm tones in the first one.

One question, was the piano really called estonia or is that your pp?

Status
Not open for further replies.