The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quick extension tube question

Zerimar

Hello! I just acquired a HC 120 f4 macro lens, and already have a 52mm extension tube.. I am just curious if anyone knows, or how I could find out what the magnification factor of that combination is...

Thanks in advance :)

test shot and 100% crop to the right of Mr. Lincoln's ear.

Shashin

1. Measure the diameter of your penny (in mm). (You can save a bit of time by shooting a mm scale or ruler.)

2. Measure the number of pixels across the image of the penny is.

3. Multiply the number of pixels by the pixel pitch in mm. That will give you the image size. To convert um (mircons or micrometers) into mm, divide your number by 1,000

4. Finally, simply divide the image size by the object size. That is the linear magnification at the image plane or sensor. (BTW, if you make a print, that magnification will then change as the image is larger--that is the reason scientists use scale bars rather than describing magnification.)

Shashin

BTW, if you have Photoshop Extended, there are measuring tools that make this easy. You can also measure area.