The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a couple of LCC questions

danlindberg

I often shoot interiors in ambient light early evenings and need 20-30 second exposures. Thus a two-stop longer LCC shot is not possible in a conventional manner.

Is there an LCC plate that is less dense and only require one-stop longer LCC shot?

If I crank up the iso two steps and shoot at the same exposure, does that increased noise present a problem when applying the LCC?

Ok, and a last one...is anybody making LCC plates as lens caps in different sizes?

Thanx:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
A thinner plate wouldn't diffuse acceptably and in general, you need to shoot the LCC at the same ISO as you are correcting otherwise the colour response can be different. What I might suggest is making a note of the aperture, ISO and movements you use in the low light situation and then making an LCC later in good light with those parameters. I do that when I can't be arsed to do it at the same time as the exposure and it works well....

danlindberg

Jurgen, thanks for the link. Interesting.

Tashley, good suggestion making the LCC in better light later! Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I made a 1-stop LCC for long exposures using TAP plastics "medium" diffusion acrylic. (They have 3 densities). Anyway, it works very well -- you can use it at the same exposure as your original and it works very well as long as the exposure isn't so dark the tail gets cut off the histo.

torger

I have written lcc software myself so I have looked at the problem in detail. Noise in the lcc shot can be quite high without problems. The shot is blurred before applied so noise is reduced to practically zero, except for dust details that cannot be blurred in order to make dust spot cancellation possible. So I would not worry about a lightly underexposed lcc shot, ie keeping the same exposure should be ok.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I made a 1-stop LCC for long exposures using TAP plastics "medium" diffusion acrylic. (They have 3 densities). Anyway, it works very well -- you can use it at the same exposure as your original and it works very well as long as the exposure isn't so dark the tail gets cut off the histo.
Jack, would that be their Translucent/Opaque Colored Lighting White Acrylic sheet - 60% or 40%?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, would that be their Translucent/Opaque Colored Lighting White Acrylic sheet - 60% or 40%?
The ones I made and passed out in Death Valley were from the 40% material -- the 60% was just a tad too weak/transparent.

yaya

I'm sure I've posted this many times before but if you're constantly running out of exposure time, bring a flashgun with a softbox on it, place it in front of the diffuser and shoot at the same iso and aperture. Going down to a short exposure time e.g. 1/125 will also help reducing noise in general.

Yair

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Actually with medium format I'm not sure that ISO matters at all. You'll get the same result pretty much by adjusting the exposure in raw processing. The back in reality only shoots images at one ISO value.

stngoldberg

Actually with medium format I'm not sure that ISO matters at all. You'll get the same result pretty much by adjusting the exposure in raw processing. The back in reality only shoots images at one ISO value.
I often find that changing the ISO is the most convenient way to get a good LCC and have not noticed a color response difference
Stanley

Jae_Moon

I have been using a higher ISO setting for LCC shots with my Expodisk for a while with satisfying results. I would set ISO to 400 for LCC shot since I use the base ISO of 50 as my default setting; a quick and easy way without adjusting shutter speed.

I made a quick test after reading a concern of 'color response' with different ISO settings. I am sure this test may not be scientific enough but ...

One is at ISO setting of 400 with 1 second exposure and the other is at the base setting of 50 with 8 seconds (approximate) exposure.

Jae Moon