The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

View Cameras and Digital

Frencm

Hi

I need to have movements for some of my work(studio-based).
My headache is this-what is the best /cost effective solution to use my gear and have movements -mainly tilt/swing?

I have gear which includes-

Cameras/DBs-D800e, H4D-40,Leaf Aptus 75s on Mamiya 645AFD, Sinar P.
Lenses-Nikon pro FX,Hasselblad 80HC and 120Macro, Mamiya 120 Macro and 45mm.

I am ok buying a new lens if needed to suit a new technical camera/digital combo.

Phew!Thanks for any advice

Digitalcameraman

Hi

My headache is this-what is the best /cost effective solution to use my gear and have movements -mainly tilt/swing?

I am ok buying a new lens if needed to suit a new technical camera/digital combo.

I think you should look at Cambo X2 solution. It would allow you to interface it with both the Nikon and the Mamiya products/Leaf back. You can mount newer style digitars and get view camera movements without using a sliding back ext.

I have integrated a lot of these with product shooters doing products, food, industrial, even selective focus on people. You view thru your 35mm or MF body and simply press the camera shutter to release, so there is no sync cables to sync the lens to the back, which makes it a little simpler.

I can help you with all of these times. I currently have both demo system and all the necessary parts to make a solution like this work, even some great deals on Schneider and Rodenstock lenses.

Chris Snipes
Business Development Manager
Calumet Photo
1001 N Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
[email protected]
813-335-2473 Cell

Your cheapest solution is to get an HTS 1.5 . This way you can have tilt/swing on your hassy H lenses... I can get a used one for you at a great deal if you are interested.

Digitalcameraman

Hi

What are you trying to shoot? Rings and watches, breadboxes, motorcycles, furniture sets, or entire rooms? Much of that would depend on which lens/focal length might be more suited to give you the max sharpness and depth of field.

1.5x TS would work but you cannot use the 120mm Macro.
Designed for the HCD28mm, HC35mm, HC50mm, HC80mm and the HC100mm lenses.

Sliding backs work great but if you want to look thru the camera to focus or change the movements, you will need to open lens and slide camera back from the shoot position to the viewing position.

That is why I think the Cambo X2 works so well for all of the cameras you want to currently support.

Chris Snipes
Business Development Manager
Calumet Photo
1001 N Federal Hwy
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
[email protected]
813-335-2473 Cell

yaya

Have you tried using a digital back on the Sinar P?
+1

Possibly the most professional and natural solution in terms of movements (front AND back) and likely the most rewarding one as well

You will need a Graflok adapter for your Aptus (€500) and at least one large format lens (I suppose you have some already?)

BR

Yair

Frencm

Thanks for all the responses.

I was heading towards a Horseman LD/VCC pro or an adapter for my Sinar as this will let me use my DB and DSLR if need be. I will then opt to buy a digital LF lens and see if that works.
My understanding(not based on experience I might add but from forums) is that the X2 is a bit limited in terms of tilt-I want as much functionality from the movements as possible as I will be photographing items such as necklaces.

Anyone know if my H4D-40 will work with any view camera?The Leaf will be probably be easier to rig up to my Sinar but I feel the Aptus 75S files straight out the box renders the colours less accurately(my opinion) than my Hasselblad.

I think the lens used will be a crucial deciding factor wrt IQ-has anybody tested different lenses on the same DB to verify this?

Thanks again for your input(s)

Udo

The H4D40 back needs an external power supply when attached to a view camera, i.e. either tethered to a computer or an additional battery pack via firewire and an additional hub in order to apply power. The Leaf may have its own battery. And there might be a timing problem for flushing the sensor before the back is being triggered during the next shot. This might make a work around with two trigger cables or a 'wake-up' cable necessary (e.g. ALPA cable).

Furthermore I guess the H4D40 back may have micro lenses which will yield colour casts once the lens is tilted. Don't know if this could be compensated with LCC shots.

Using the HTS1.5 adapter on the H4D40 works flawless as long as the RAW files (3FR or FFF) are processed in Phocus. All the necessary corrections will be applied via DAC. This might not be the absolute best optical solution in terms of 'super' sharpness, but it is a competitive and quiet convenient setup.

Regards, Udo

yaya

The Leaf may have its own battery. And there might be a timing problem for flushing the sensor before the back is being triggered during the next shot. This might make a work around with two trigger cables or a 'wake-up' cable necessary (e.g. ALPA cable).
There are no triggering or wake-up issues with the Aptus...just one sync cable connects the lens to the back and you can fire at will :)

To shoot untethered the back takes Samsung SB-L160 type batteries (or larger)

BR

Yair

cunim

I would love to fool around with my P2 and a digital back, but never bothered because I believe the movements would be too frustrating. Breathe on the knob and tilt goes strange type of thing. Ease of use is my key factor.

What I ended up with is an AS monolith 69 (which does fairly well with the movements I need. Guess a P3 or Linhof 679 (which I did play with) do just as well depending on features that you want. I've seen all of these come up at reasonable prices. What I really like is that adding lenses is so easy and cheap - at least when compared to the same lenses on custom mounts.

One of these small view cameras combined with any of the traditional studio lenses (eg the Rodie 135) works for me, especially with electronic shutters.

alajuela

I would love to fool around with my P2 and a digital back, but never bothered because I believe the movements would be too frustrating. Breathe on the knob and tilt goes strange type of thing. Ease of use is my key factor.

What I ended up with is an AS monolith 69 (which does fairly well with the movements I need. Guess a P3 or Linhof 679 (which I did play with) do just as well depending on features that you want. I've seen all of these come up at reasonable prices. What I really like is that adding lenses is so easy and cheap - at least when compared to the same lenses on custom mounts.

One of these small view cameras combined with any of the traditional studio lenses (eg the Rodie 135) works for me, especially with electronic shutters.
+1
I have the AS Monolith 6x9 with 180 back. Has very precise and firm movements.
As Cunim says is very easy to mount lenses.
Tomorrow I will post a photo of it here. There are also some photos of view cameras in the post "Show us your tech camera". Certainly hands on is better, but this photos are nice to look at

Phil

jarane

Check the Cambo Ultima System, it will allows you to use both 35mm and MF cameras and will allow all the tech camera movements in both formats. You can use some of your current lenses, but imhe nothing compares to the quality of apo-digital lenses.

Hope it helps,
E.C.

Last edited: