The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Achro - Live View!!

jagsiva

So I have been playing with the new Achro back for a couple of days and am really liking it. Finally got a chance to throw it on the Arca yesterday, and noticed that the LV option was not on the menu.

Called support today and apparently LV is not available on the Achro since it uses bining, of course no literature from Phase says this anywhere.

Given that this is one of the flagship features of the IQ series, you'd think the information would have been slightly more forthcoming.

Am I missing something here???

Stefan Steib

Interesting - because the Kodak chip in the Achromatic+ (the old P45+bw version) was of course supporting live view.
That was really useful especially when focusing for IR and focus shift and much more.

??? Binning ??? on a BW chip ? for what ?

Regards
Stefan

jagsiva

Stefan,

The binning is from Sensor+, it is an underlying component of the LV architecture. The Achro back does not have Sensor+, although it does natively support ISO to 3200. So, in itself, lack of sensor+ support was not an issue for me.

But, for me, LV is a must, particularly off spectrum. IR focus shift is dependent on the lens and especially on tech cams, I'm not sure I want to be to chimping 20 frames to get focus right. Confirming LV focus with chimping on 2-3 frames is more practical.

I am just pissed that something that Phase has long touted as a core feature of the IQ series, including the 2xx, they would not have been more forthcoming with the information. Not sure what they were expecting customers' reactions to be, but I doubt that this was simple oversight. The literature on their website has LV as part of their basic feature description of the new IQ 2xx backs.

I love the quality of the files, but couldn't be more disappointed in the workflow implications. Not sure it will work for me at this point.

Phase has not given me a response via the sales channel yet, but their support team basically said it does not have LV, meaning, not only on the back, but even via iPad or tethering.

Still thinking about what I do next...

Stefan Steib

I agree, IR and UV use may be pretty much useless or at least extremely handicapped without liveview.

Didn´t anyone from Phase speak with a/several potential user/s first ?

Looks like that´s the case........:loco:

Regards
Stefan

aeaemd

I got mine last month. Nobody thought that the achromatic will have live view until it was shipped. Everybody was surprised even the dealers.
I don't use the live view that much anyways. I will be really pissed if they added it after I bought it. I love the IR on the 260 better than the achromatic +.
I miss the long exposure.

Amr

jagsiva

Amr,

not sure I understand. Do you mean that everyone was aware that Live View would not be supported?

I know you do a lot of IR. Are you using the color IQ260? I assume you have the filter removed?

tashley

Subscriber Member
The lack of live view is an irritation and I agree with Jag that one is unlikely, given current marketing materials, to be aware of it until one takes delivery. My experience, however, has been that the iPad tethering (now that the new FW has made it more stable) makes getting focus right, even in IR shooting and with movements, not too hard though with longer lenses or at wider apertures than i have been using it might be more problematic. But it is, as they say, what it is....

alajuela

The lack of live view is an irritation and I agree with Jag that one is unlikely, given current marketing materials, to be aware of it until one takes delivery. My experience, however, has been that the iPad tethering (now that the new FW has made it more stable) makes getting focus right, even in IR shooting and with movements, not too hard though with longer lenses or at wider apertures than i have been using it might be more problematic. But it is, as they say, what it is....
Hi

Do you use FW with the iPad to tether? I though the iPad only connected via wifi

Thanks

Phil

Stefan Steib

I´m confused now: does the FW tethered Liveview work ? So it is only not doing LiveView when only the back does (should do) it ?

????

aeaemd

Amr,

not sure I understand. Do you mean that everyone was aware that Live View would not be supported?

I know you do a lot of IR. Are you using the color IQ260? I assume you have the filter removed?
Before release, everybody thought that achromatic will be released with live view. The Demo version didn't have live view or wireless. Phase one asked if achromatic should have a live view and the answer was yes from people in the photography business whom I trust.
The first time I knew about the " no live view" was few days before I received the back.
I use the Credo WS and 45+ full spectrum. I traded my achromatic + for the achromatic 260 which I thinK it is a better back so far.

I have other Nikon IR/full spectrum cameras which I don't use as much.

Amr

jagsiva

Thanks Amr. I understand. I have been using a couple of D800s (one full spectrum and the other 720nm on sensor), but was hoping to reduce the kit size with the Achro, which would just be an additional back to my Arca/IQ180 kit.

I guess I could use the IQ180 as the world's most expensive ground glass!

jagsiva

Stefan,

LV on the achro is not available by any method - on the back, tethered to PC or via WIFI on an iPad. Limitation, as stated by P1 is on the architecture of the back.

LV on the iPad or USB3 for IQ2xx is currently not available. This will be a firmware update as far as I know. However, the Achro will not be supported for this function.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi

Do you use FW with the iPad to tether? I though the iPad only connected via wifi

Thanks

Phil
FW = Firmware. The latest version improves the reliability of the connection over WiFi of the back to the iPad on both 260 and 260 Achro... I tried it and it's better!

jagsiva

As far as I know it is Dalsa. Similar to the one in the IQ160/P65+ from what I heard, not based on the new 60MP sensor in the IQ260.