The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Horseman VH to Digital Back??

chkproductions

I aslo posted this in the Alternative Forum because I wasn't quite sure.

I have a Horseman VH (6x9) field camera which I dearly love. I have a Schneider 65 and a Mamiya Sekor 105 (very old) Has anyone ever put a digital back on a VH. Is it possible? Is it realistic. I would shoot mostly architecture and scapes.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Shashin

I am not sure there is an adapter for your camera, but if you can find one, I would certainly try a back on your camera. It is certainly realistic.

jimban

hi-

I had SK Grimes modify a Horseman VH for a phase one back. It was a bit pricey.

http://www.skgrimes.com/

I gave them a mount plate for a flexadapter which then fit the modified Horseman. That way any back could be used if one had the proper flexadapter plate. They were able to leave the rotating back intact but the register for the back was slightly in front of unmodified nominal so I had to recalibrate the infinity stops for each lens. I used non horseman lenses so the RF was slightly off, mostly at close focus. Otherwise it worked pretty well.

chkproductions

Shashin and jimban thanks for your replies.

Jimban - I have had work done by SK Grimes over the years and have the pleasure of working with them face-to-face as I live in Rhode Island where they are based.

I love the size of the VH and all of its adjustments. So my big question is, do you still use the VH? What back did/do you use with it? Was it worth it to modify it or would you have just opt out of it knowing what you know now? And certainly, and shots of it and by it would be most interesting.

Cheers

chk

jimban

Hi-

I ended up selling the camera in favor of an Arca Swiss Rm3di. I did like the VF and used it with lenses from a 75mm Nikkor SW to a Nikkor 360 T on a tophat lensboard. I probably wouldn't do it again because it took so long to get into the workshop queue.

Over all I wish I hadn't sold it.

Here's a shot taken with a 75mm Nikkor SW and P45 back with a 100% crop. The kit without lenses and a P65+ back mounted.

chkproductions

Jim - thanks for posting that. I am now more tempted to give it a shot (in a manner of speaking) How did you set up the shutter release from the camera to the back??