The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One vs. Leaf Capture vs. Lightroom

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Eleanor, I do not see a link to a raw file in your post. Without one no one here can play with your file to suggest where you might improve handling in C1.

The shadow slider at 100 in C1 is going to lead to halos which you may be mistaking for residual CA. Hard to tell without a raw file.

I'll be on the road all this week (in Chicago today and will be doing a DC C1 event later in the week) so unlikely I can help right away, but if you post a link to a raw file you may find someone else downloads it and can provide some meaningful input.

eleanorbrown

Valentin, actually you confirm what I've been doing all along...using LR with some files and C1 with others. I guess I was thinking using one RAW file application only for all RAW processing would simplify my workflow. (I use LR for literally everything else as it's so user friendly). But what I'm finding is sometimes C1 just is not the application to use up my time on when I can get superior results in LR with much less time and effort spent. Thanks, Eleanor

I know your question was addressed to Doug, but I just don't understand why do you want to work more to achieve the same result as LR, when in LR was easier to do (and got the results desired)?

Again, C1 is not better than LR (that time has long been passed). Yes, SOMETIMES, you get better results from C1 and SOMETIMES you get better results from LR. I can't understand the reason for somebody spending time (maybe hours) to achieve the look that you get from another converter. Care to enlighten me?

When I'm not happy with the result, I try the other converter and usually I get the results I'm after. Rarely do I have a file that both converters give me problems.

Last edited:

Pradeep

I've been a long term user of Aperture and never liked LR for various reasons, mainly to do with the quirky interface and modular nature. I love AP's library system and ease of use. However, it has lagged behind LR in some key features, and I am a bit tired of waiting to catch up - aren't we the instant gratification lot!

Started using C1 since I got my Phase one system recently, it has been less than a month and have not done much processing of Canon files, but I can tell that the Leica files from my M240 come out so much better in C1 than they ever did in AP, the skin tones are simply spot on as is most of the white balance. I also like the flexibility that C1 provides although some tools could be a bit more Aperture like. My biggest problem right now is the clunky and partial support for Nik filters - only some of which run via the 'recipe' system, don't know why it won't recognize Silver Efex, Color Efex and HDR Pro but will allow in-program launch of the others.

I think the DAM capabilities of Aperture are the best, it is also the fastest at pulling in images from CF cards and IMHO has the best user interface. If C1 could improve it's plug-in and DAM capability it would be my preferred choice.

As one of the team leaders at the recent workshops said (paraphrasing a little) "LR is only popular because of Adobe and even though I love C1, I have to learn LR because everyone coming to my workshops is using it and expects me to be an expert at it"

I process my canon/Leica files through AP, export them for printing via QImage (the only bloody reason I still run Windows via Fusion) and am using C1 only for the Phase One files which Aperture still won't recognize.

If you have not printed via QImage, you must give it a try, short of using a RIP, it is the best way to print there is. Head to head comparisons even at 4X6 size show it is clearly superior. If only Mike Chaney would do a Mac version!

Pradeep

IBICO

I have used C1 to import the .mos from the CF card, and then export as .DNG Then I have imported it into LR for more development.

The C1 according to my supplier, it render the files better. My theory is that C1 handle the RAW better, and then could translate it into a better .DNG file, then LR would direct.

Anyone else tried this?

I got the DM22 back

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Dng is just a repackaging of the original raw data - completely unprocessed.

So any magic sauce of c1's processing will not be included.

Mgreer316

Pradeep,

I think that team leader was just biased. Plain and simple. There's no doubt that Adobe's marketplace might has a huge effect on LR's position as the leader. No question. But, LR also delivers the goods. If it didn't, it wouldn't matter if it was Adobe's product or not.