The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

carstenw

Thanks Stuart and now when you say it I feel kind of stupid that I didnt think of the "missing" leaf shutter...
Yes, me too :) Synapse blowout.

Tom, if you decide to move to the 75LV later, or some other high-ISO capable back, then keep me in mind for your 54LV. I will likely have the money some time in early spring, maybe March or so, when I get my tax return.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes,
I thought of the Rollei version. (however I was interested if the Hassy version would work as well because you get in for quit lower prices.
Understand that for sure, but when one enters the Rollei system...

As for how the different backs accommodate ISO, I would not worry about it. Any way you slice it, gain is being added somewhere to generate a higher ISO, and I don't whether it's add it at the sensor or after makes a whole lot of difference.

Cheers,

As for how the different backs accommodate ISO, I would not worry about it. Any way you slice it, gain is being added somewhere to generate a higher ISO, and I don't whether it's add it at the sensor or after makes a whole lot of difference.
Cheers,
Jack, I found a great post on LL this afternoon explaining what hardware gain achieves, but I can't find it now... :cry:

If I read it right, your P45+ which does have hardware gain to ISO 800, should be better for noise at higher ISOs than backs that don't have it, at the expense of reducing DR at the highlight end.

IMO, this is better than getting full DR but with greater noise in the shadows.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I read it right, your P45+ which does have hardware gain to ISO 800, should be better for noise at higher ISOs than backs that don't have it, at the expense of reducing DR at the highlight end.

IMO, this is better than getting full DR but with greater noise in the shadows.
I suspect that was the long thread over there and it was panopeeper that made that comment. What I can tell you is that my P45+ does have hardware gain while Guy's P25+ has software gain. Different pixel pitch, so not a fair comparison maybe, but at the end of the day, BOTH backs behave so similarly with respect to higher ISO as to be identical... So I for one do not buy that first assumption.

As for DR, you always lose some at ISO's higher than native, regardless of how you get there, because amount of noise is a base variable for determining the lower limit of DR -- the more noise, the less DR. Since ISO's greater than native almost always mean more noise, they will also almost always mean less DR.

Note that in all the tests Guy and I have done together, the P25+ does appear to have a bit lower DR than the P45+ at higher ISOs -- like maybe 1/3rd stop. But it also has better interpixel contrast (clarity), and if you add to the clarity slider to get the P45+ file looking like the P25+ file, all of a sudden DR is virtually identical.

In summary, I am not arguing the veracity of the hardware versus software ISO/DR claim, I am only saying I remain unconvinced it matters in actual use...

robmac

Every time I see a pic of Contax 645 system - let alone one with a Hassy 110/2 attached my wallet goes into the (all too familiar) fetal position.

If a Nikon 9000 ever falls off a truck in my 'hood (or I decide to chuck this DSLR roller coaster)....

carstenw

Every time I see a pic of Contax 645 system - let alone one with a Hassy 110/2 attached my wallet goes into the (all too familiar) fetal position.

If a Nikon 9000 ever falls off a truck in my 'hood (or I decide to chuck this DSLR roller coaster)....
I hate to do this to you Rob, but it is for your own best good. Camera with 80/2, prism and film back: 1000 Euro, 110/2: 1060 Euro, hood: 40 Euro. Find a little change, will'ya? :)

View attachment 10801

PeterA

Its the finest bokeh smokeh lens I have ever used - so I bought two an F and a FE series and then I bought a 200 series body to go with it and then I bought a digi back to go with that!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

sad huh? :)

carstenw

Lens and Hy6 are both manufactured by Franke-Heidecke in Germany,
Maybe some € for Sinar, but overall the biggest part would stay here ;)
With the cost of your lens, and the stimulus the purchase has given to the German economy, perhaps they can halve the 50 billion (milliard) Euro economy stimulus package :D

Paratom

With the cost of your lens, and the stimulus the purchase has given to the German economy, perhaps they can halve the 50 billion (milliard) Euro economy stimulus package :D
I also suggest they change the 2500€ car cash program to a 2500€ lens cash program

Stuart Richardson

Nice Tom...I know that monster well.

Anyway, I said I would post some images to see if people can tell the difference between the 110/2 and the 75mm f/1.4 summilux on the web. I bet some people will get them right, but nevertheless, my argument is that they are very, very similar lenses. I cropped them all to approximately 35mm aspect ratios, so no cheating on that account. Please don't tell if you know from some other way than just your eye.

Here they are:

carstenw

I don't think that there is that much point in guessing, since they do look similar, but there are also some very different types of shots here, and I am not familiar with both lenses in all situations. With more similar types of shots, it might be easier to pick out a pattern.

Anyway, just for fun:

1, 3, 4, 6, 7 : 75 Lux.
2, 5 : 110/2 (I almost wrote Cron there; old habits die hard)

I actually wanted to assign 3 to the 110/2, but I thought it more likely that two photographers would be out together with Leica Ms :) It is also a bit hard to judge since a couple are over-exposed.