The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

opinions on Zeiss 110/2.0

carstenw

Hi Carsten,
and here is mine - one with and one image without hood, this is quite a HOOD! ;)
Yes, my hood is huge. Yours doesn't look so exaggerated, but maybe it is just the angle. Nice kit. So, that lighter shade of colour on the Hy6, is that light grey or slightly blue? It looks different in every photo I have seen.

I still think about 645 vs. 6x6, and feel that as long as the sensors don't get larger than 645, I prefer the smaller camera, and putting up with the compromises from that. The one possible exception would be if I end up buying a 16MP square sensor as a stop-gap solution, in which case I might use it on a Hasselblad V camera, just for old time's sake. If they ever make a larger square sensor, I will likely look at how I can put either a 203FE or 6008i2/6008AF into action. The Hy6 is nice, but very pricy.

Paratom

Yes, my hood is huge. Yours doesn't look so exaggerated, but maybe it is just the angle. Nice kit. So, that lighter shade of colour on the Hy6, is that light grey or slightly blue? It looks different in every photo I have seen.

I still think about 645 vs. 6x6, and feel that as long as the sensors don't get larger than 645, I prefer the smaller camera, and putting up with the compromises from that. The one possible exception would be if I end up buying a 16MP square sensor as a stop-gap solution, in which case I might use it on a Hasselblad V camera, just for old time's sake. If they ever make a larger square sensor, I will likely look at how I can put either a 203FE or 6008i2/6008AF into action. The Hy6 is nice, but very pricy.
If we see how sensors developped and the new large Leaf sensor I think there could be very well a large square sensor in maybe 2-3 years from now.
Even if not, than there is the rotating back thing which I really love. Its so fast and easy and it lets me take advantage of the larger image circle.
In the end, when bought in a package and seeing the total cost of the system I dont find the Hy6 that much more expensive.
However I also was really tempted by the Hasselblad V system.
The biggest disadvantage I see in the 6x6 systems is that they are somewhat heavier and larger (specially the lenses).
If you go for a small square sensor like P20 or cfv you could still use your contax-no need for a 6x6, or do I misunderstand?
However I have to say quit some times I have been happy to not have the smaller square sensor because I found that I can need the wider angle.

Stuart Richardson

I think Guy was the closest! Just missed that one...
The order is 1,2 and 4 are the 110mm and 3,5,6,7 is the lux.
I agree that they are not all perfect examples or in similar situations, but my argument is not that they are identical, just that they are VERY similar in character and deployment. For their respective systems, they represent a super-fast short telephoto with great bokeh.

Carsten -- your critical thinking paid off! I was lending my other Leica to my friend there, teaching him how to use it. It was a lot of fun. He was a natural (much to my chagrin...some of his shots were better than mine!).