The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a vari ND for focusing with Arca and IQ180

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
seemed appropriate to put this in it's own thread. This is from the MF images thread where I mentioned using a Vari ND to make Live View easier and faster to work with.

HI Wayne
I am interested in your comment "(I have Vari ND filter I can slip on the front quickly which makes this easer)"
I have the Schnieder Vari ND and have step up rings on my tech lens - but "slip on" is not a term I would use. -- Please share :chug:
Best
Phil
so my solution is pretty low tech and actually not too expensive (except the vari ND itself).

I installed a Cokin Adaptor ring on each of my lens and leave them on all the time. Cokin makes a nice easy to snap on lens cap for these so you can just leave them on, and they are pretty cheap.

I have a standard cokin filter holder, and a the cheap little plastic lens hood for it (which I use some of the time). For this I have 3 stop hard and a 2 stop soft Tiffen glass split ND filters (very high quality). I don't use any Cokin filters at all. If I"m worried about flare, I always wear a dark brown wool felt hat (indiana jones style) which I can pull off my head and shade the front.

I also have a Cokin wide angle filter holder, and have glued a Schneider Vari ND filter to a cokin ring that can slide into that holder. This basically toasted the optical quality of the split ND (because I used super glue .. the fumes must have done something to the coating).However, I only use it for focusing (I have gotten some weird results with the polarizing effect using these). I should have been a little more careful and used a better solution to attach it to the cokin holder so it would still be useful (recommended if you try this).

End result, I can pop this holder with the vari ND filter on the front of the lens in a couple of seconds, dial it until the image using Live View is where I need it to be. Even in full sunlight I can get an image on the IQ180 back withe the lens wide open. I have a hoodman loupe with the 3x optical magnifier option added, and using this on the IQ180 screen I can do pretty well with Live View focusing.

I also have a full set of lee filters and I'm currently working on adapting the Lee system to pop onto the cokin adaptors so it's easier to use them. Being able to leave the adaptor on the lens and use the snap on Cokin lens caps is one reason the system is so easy to use.

I'll snap a couple of pics when I'm set up next time.

kdphotography

Ok, I stumbled on this new filter adapter system and I thought it needed to be shared here for the Fox Live View Method. :)

The filter system that I just acquired is called the xume adapter, which uses rare earth magnets. One holder on each filter. One adapter on the lens. Filters hold onto the lens very securely with the rare earth magnets. It's easy and quick.

See, XUME 67mm Lens Adapter and Filter Holder Pro Kit B&H Photo Video Click the B&H banner ad above to support GetDPI.

They are available in a variety of sizes. Additional filter holders are also sold individually outside of the kit. I use a 67mm as that fits the HR40. I also use step-up rings as most of my circular filters are 77mm filters. The xume holder and adapters are pretty thin, and I don't think will pose an issue with vignetting using a step up ring in addition. Build quality is good with a knurled area on the ring to assist with securing or releasing the filter holder or adapter.

This system is perfect on my Sony A7r full spectrum, as changing filters is now simple and fast. No more worries about threads jamming and less likely to get fingerprints on the filter glass.

77mm Singh Ray Vari-n-Duo is quick to put on the Cambo for the Fox Live View Method on the IQ180.

And, the Xume adapter also is strong enough to support the weight of a Lee/Cokin Z pro square filter holder. Using filters of any type just got quicker and easier.

Ken

dchew

Ken,
Interesting. I'm confused about how this works, so a few questions:
- If I have (1) 67 and (2) 72mm lens threads, I should get two kits correct?

- I suppose I could permanently mount a big step up ring for the 40.5mm threads on my sk150.

I've been using aftermarket promaster lens caps. Once the xume adapter is on the lens, what cap options are there? It doesn't look like there is much to grip on the front. Do you have to use slip-ons like the poly caps that come with the Rodi/Schneider lenses?

I'm guessing the magnets won't hold a filter in place while in the backpack? Otherwise I could use one of the extra filter adapters with a cheap filter just for covering the lens while packed.

Am I looking at this wrong?

Dave

Paul2660

These require a set for each diameter you plan to use. So for my use I would need a 67mm 72mm and 62mm to cover the full range of lenses.

You screw on the main ring the the adapter ring screws to you existing filter. These two mount together with the magnetic attachment.

Cool idea if you are only working with say the 40mm HR-W in the field which is 67mm front threaded. Will work great on the 90mm HR as its 67mm also.

Something to think about.

Paul

kdphotography

I have a HR70 with a filter diameter of 58mm (as opposed to the 67mm on the HR40). I'm going on the cheap here. Ideally all filters would be the same size as the lens, I have both 67mm and 77mm filters. I'm using step up rings when needed on the HR40 to mate with my 77 filters

For the HR70, rather than buy an entire new xume kit, I plan on using one 58-67 step up ring on the lens, and simply put another adapter on the ring. This will enable me to use the same set of 67mm filters and 77mm filters, Lee/Cokin square filter holder, and vari-n-duo that I use for my HR40. I'll have to test, but don't think this will give any vignetting problems.

I plan on continuing to use my Rodenstock slip on lens caps. When a filter is in place, you can put a pinch-style lens cap on---the magnets are surprising strong. I've also read reviews from those using the xume on DSLRs that add a filter holder to the lens cap instead.

Definitely some options to think about. The pita with live view is having to work with ND filters, and though the Vari-n-Duo makes it easier to adjust, you still have to deal with screwing on the filter. The Fox method to simply pop a filter on makes it easier. Might not be a big deal if you rarely work with filters, but now that I have the Sony A7r full spectrum which requires using filters frequently, the Xume solution makes everything easier, and I've expanded it to my Cambo as well.

ken

Steve C

Another approach that I use is based on the Lee system. I have 3 ProKit adapters which are simply the spring-loaded clamp with 2 slots that attach to the adapter ring on each lens. In one, I keep an LCC in one of the two slots. In the second adapter, a 4-stop ND 4x5 inch Singh Ray filter. In the third, a 4x4 Lee glass polarizing filter in one slot and an adapter ring for attaching the hood in the second slot. I can quickly swap the ND on to any lens for focus and composition, then remove, add the polarizer if desired, attach the Lee Wide Angle Hood to the ring in the second slot, and then after the shot, swap for the LCC. I use the WA hood with no slots so there is no stray light leakage if used alone on the lens or onto the polarizing filter if used in combination. If the light is very low, then instead of the 4 stop ND for focus, I simply use the polarizer for 2 stops. If the light is very bright, then the polarizer plus the ND gives me 6 stops. The other advantage to this approach is that the polarizer can be rotated independently of the hood. This works well on my lenses from 40mm up. I haven't tried it on anything wider, but would worry about the polarizer vignetting with large shifts.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have 23HRW with CF filter, 40hrw, 90hr and 150sk APO-Digitar. What do I need for the ultimate LV experience with the IQ260?

Paul2660

I have the 28, 40 and 60. I use the CF on the 28. As its a 95mm outer thread I take it off then use a 72mm to 77 step up ring for the Schneider.

Takes time for sure but it's still the best solution I have seen. I have three step rings 72-77 67-77 and 62-77. I tried the same thing with the Lee setup and their 10x big stopper but it was too dark. The ability to dial the Schneider VND really allows for more preceise control on the exposure.

I was using LV on Saturday with the 40mm and am still amazed at how responsive it is and useable with the Schneider VND.

I never could get LV to work on the DF and 35mm lens. I need to figure that out. Tried mirror up but still only got a black screen. I am sure LV should work on the DF.

Paul

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Just a note about how I use this that has changed a little, I rarely use the Hoodman loupe with magnifier any longer, but have found that a pair of 3.5 reading glasses works really well when focusing at 100%