The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One back & Eye Fi wireless card

anGy

Hi,
Does anyone knows if the Phase backs are compatible with Sandisk Eye Fi cards ?
(meaning using such card in an IQ 1 serie and get preview on an iPad using Capture Pilot and no other device (computer).
Will it work as a IQ 2 serie ?

Craig Stocks

I doubt if it would be workable. I've used an EyeFi card in my Canon1DsIII for years, but it has two card slots, one CF and one SD. I shoot raw to the CF and small jpegs to the EyeFi SD.

As far as I know, all EyeFi cards are SD size, so you'll have to have a SD to CF adapter. The adapters I've seen are all Type II, so they're thicker than the standard CF card. Check your back to see if it can use a type II CF card.

If you get the card in the back, you'll end ip transmitting very large raw files to the iPad, so it will be very slow.

If you manage to get the raw file onto the iPad, you'll need a way to view it. I don't know if there is any program to do that. (I use ShutterSnitch as my iPad ap).

If you try it, let us know how it works.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No

If you want wireless review/control you'll need an IQ2.

Excuse brevity, it's Frigay night and I'm headed out for a drink.

anGy

I doubt if it would be workable. I've used an EyeFi card in my Canon1DsIII for years, but it has two card slots, one CF and one SD. I shoot raw to the CF and small jpegs to the EyeFi SD.

As far as I know, all EyeFi cards are SD size, so you'll have to have a SD to CF adapter. The adapters I've seen are all Type II, so they're thicker than the standard CF card. Check your back to see if it can use a type II CF card.

If you get the card in the back, you'll end ip transmitting very large raw files to the iPad, so it will be very slow.

If you manage to get the raw file onto the iPad, you'll need a way to view it. I don't know if there is any program to do that. (I use ShutterSnitch as my iPad ap).

If you try it, let us know how it works.
Thanks for pointing the type II format issue, didn't realise that when thinking about the adaptor.
Don't know if reviewing files on an iPod shouldn't be an issue as Capture Pilot can manage that with IQ2 or with IQ1 tethered to a computer. But maybe IQ2 series are capable of sending light preview files ?

Anyway Doug answer did kill the hope I gayss :angel:

tashley

Subscriber Member
the problem is that Capture Pilot will most likely only read what C1 sends it, or what an IQ2 sends it, and I am fairly sure that those will be specially rendered JPEGS. The IQ2 wireless option gets you thumbnails, then full image reduced to fit on iPad screen, then you select which area you want to see at higher levels of zoom and it gets rendered for you on demand. If I were Phase I would not be making it easy for an IQ1 owner to turn their back into a ersatz IQ2 merely by adding an EyeFI card....

The only way this would work would be if the someone wrote an iPad app that could take an entire 79mb .IIQ file and embedded JPEG and then render parts of it on the fly. And I do not expect that to happen any time soon.

Last edited:

anGy

Asking myself if making new product series that are just nice upgrades of the former ones the best long term commercial strategy...