The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IRND

Rollei6008i

I recently heard about IRND , I also studied Schneider website's explanation.
But it really new to me , anyone have experience on this IRND filter compared with normal ND when using digiback photography ?

tcdeveau

I just ordered some IRND (3-, 6-, and 10-stop) filters from Formatt-Hitech. It'll be a few weeks before they come in, but I'll try to post some comparison shots with non-IRNDs when I get them.

Shashin

Yes. They are to compensate for IR contamination. They don't completely solve the problem, but they help a great deal. Personally, I would get ND filters with an IR cut if I am shooting digital. While I can color balance with a regular ND filter, I still have a stronger response in the red channel and so the image is different and it changes with what is in the frame--foliage and stone are in the image, it can make getting good color really hard. For B&W, IR cut might be less important, but there will still be a shift in tones depending of the object, but whether it is better or worse to have IR, I am not sure.

Rollei6008i

Yes. They are to compensate for IR contamination. They don't completely solve the problem, but they help a great deal. Personally, I would get ND filters with an IR cut if I am shooting digital. While I can color balance with a regular ND filter, I still have a stronger response in the red channel and so the image is different and it changes with what is in the frame--foliage and stone are in the image, it can make getting good color really hard. For B&W, IR cut might be less important, but there will still be a shift in tones depending of the object, but whether it is better or worse to have IR, I am not sure.
WIth IR contamination , less sharp & visible ?

Rollei6008i

One more question , Can IR cut(IR UV CUT) filter work as UV protection filter & always mount on lens ?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
One more question , Can IR cut(IR UV CUT) filter work as UV protection filter & always mount on lens ?
You probably do not need a uv with digital, and frankly you are best served to shoot without filters unless you need them.
The only exception to this is when you are shooting in a very dusty, blowing sand, or salt spray environment.
My guess is with all of the uv or clear filters sold for "protection" ypu might as well be self-insured for the unlikely situation that it actually is useful.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Also worth noting that UVIR hot mirror filters are seldom completely neutral in color either. I tried various flavors with my full spectrum D800 and they all had some color effect (typically slight cyan) although mostly neutralized by in camera white balance.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Also worth noting that UVIR hot mirror filters are seldom completely neutral in color either. I tried various flavors with my full spectrum D800 and they all had some color effect (typically slight cyan) although mostly neutralized by in camera white balance.
Neither are NDs I measured a bunch of them and they were all over the place.
-bob