The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Masks!!!! - help!

trev2401

Hi all.

I finally made the plunge after saving for 10 + years & eating rice/potatos daily, and purchased a CF39 back for my mamiya RZ system. :chug:

One question. Anyone know where to get the masks for the RZ system based on the CF39's sensor size? i've looked everywhere, and they don't seem to make it.

Even the local hassey dealer has shrugged me off, telling me that it's a "7 yr old back" and everyone's "going 50mp + AF, bla bla bla... "

thanks in advance..

I'd like to know also ... I set mine up on a tripod and shot tethered, then marked out the masks using a sharpie.

If you also use a loupe, then you rub the lines off!

steve_cor

On the original RZ67 with film, you have those black bars that move into position to mask your view for horizontal or vertical shooting. For a digital back, those are outside the image area of the sensor.

The new focusing screen has an H and a V in the area where the black bars are. So, when you rotate the back for horizontal, the black bars at the top and bottom block the V, so only the H shows (and the side bars block the H so only the V shows). This is the only masking. The focusing screen has etched lines to indicate which part of the viewfinder will be captured on your sensor. You have to pay attention to the etched lines, and realize that everything you see will not be in the final image.

Other sensors, including the Leaf Aptus II, models 5 and 7, are 36 x 48mm like your CF39 back. So, I think you should get a focusing screen that includes the H and V markings and the etched lines for a Leaf Aptus II 7.

You'll need a Leaf dealer, because I doubt you'll find a used one.

--Steve.

yaya

Other sensors, including the Leaf Aptus II, models 5 and 7, are 36 x 48mm like your CF39 back. So, I think you should get a focusing screen that includes the H and V markings and the etched lines for a Leaf Aptus II 7.

You'll need a Leaf dealer, because I doubt you'll find a used one.
Steve is correct, we supply a marked focusing screen and you can order it from your local Mamiya Leaf dealer: Mamiya Leaf Partners - Latin America. The part number is 604-00096

Hope this helps

Yair

trev2401

Dear Wentbackward, thanks for the note. Yup, tried that, ending up rubbing off the lines, and my 1 yr old daughter eating the sharpie... :)

Steve and Yaya, thanks so much for the note. I'll give the mamiya leaf guys a call. :)

thanks to all, and once again... this forum rocks!

trev2401

Hi Steve,

Done and purchased!!! (darn... that's fast)

Just to check this has a split prism in the centre right?
thanks again
Trev

steve_cor

Trev,
There used to be more choice in focusing screens, but not anymore for the ones with etched lines for digital backs. The center spot is brighter than the rest. You just focus until it looks sharpest.

--Steve.