The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternatives to the V-Grip Air?

DanTidswell

Are there any third party alternatives to the V-Grip Air? I don't need the Profoto syncing or USB update stuff, just a grip, hand strap and shutter release.

After my first day of working with the 654DF shooting a model I've come to the conclusion that a grip and hand strap are going to be essential for the way that I work. The grip on the 645DF is very shallow for my big hands.

On a related note I've removed the neck strap and replaced it with a BlackRapid RS7 sling strap, far more comfortable, the camera sits on my hip nicely when not in my hands.

There aren't even many grips for other camera systems, neither Hassy nor Pentax offer grips, though Leica does. It's probably because MF isn't typically seen as a type of photography where you have to regularly hand-hold the camera, and portrait grips are almost always used when going hand-held.

A Chinese DSLR grip goes for around $70-90, so I wouldn't be surprised that if someone really wanted to, they could come out with a maybe ~$150 MF grip. But Chinese manufacture is all about volume, and MF gear is a low sales / high margin business, since it's a fairly niche slice of the photographic spectrum.

Maybe if the rumors are true, and Canon does enter the MF market, they might run enough marketing for more people to know that medium format is even a thing... and then we might get cheaper gear/accessories.

DanTidswell

There aren't even many grips for other camera systems, neither Hassy nor Pentax offer grips, though Leica does. It's probably because MF isn't typically seen as a type of photography where you have to regularly hand-hold the camera, and portrait grips are almost always used when going hand-held.

A Chinese DSLR grip goes for around $70-90, so I wouldn't be surprised that if someone really wanted to, they could come out with a maybe ~$150 MF grip. But Chinese manufacture is all about volume, and MF gear is a low sales / high margin business, since it's a fairly niche slice of the photographic spectrum.

Maybe if the rumors are true, and Canon does enter the MF market, they might run enough marketing for more people to know that medium format is even a thing... and then we might get cheaper gear/accessories.
I have one of those after market Chinese grips on my 5Dmk3 and it's excellent. I was kinda hoping there would be something similar for the 654DF but I figured it was a long shot.

ondebanks

just a grip, hand strap and shutter release.
Dan, do you mean specifically a vertical grip with hand strap & vertical shutter release? I know of no alternative to the V-Grip Air for that. Or do you just mean an additional grip unit, say on the left hand side, to steady the camera and spread the weight between your two arms? There are ways to do the latter, at least partially.

For example, I added a padded strap (originally made for the M645 Pro) to the left hand side of my 645AFD. It helps to steady the camera handheld in some situations, and it is really great as a way to pick up and carry the camera by my side, rather than hanging awkwardly around my neck.

Ray

DanTidswell

If I'm reading Ray correctly, we've both done something similar to our camera bodies. This is what I use: Hand Strap from Camdapter: Black Leather - Hand_Strap

Hand strap is on the right side....I'm not fond of neckstraps, and use them more as an safety precaution to hold onto the camera when changing lenses...
That looks like a cool, cheap option. But I don't understand how you've connected the hand strap, at least the bottom part of it.

If you have a moment perhaps you can take a couple of snaps with your phone, ideally one with your hand in the strap.

DanTidswell

That is just what I'm looking for, thank you so much for taking those shots. I'm going to order that combo tomorrow, ill probably have to get it shipped from the US as I don't think RRS have a presence in the UK market.

ondebanks

Yes, Ken's approach is very similar to mine...except mine's on the left; for one thing his hand strap is a bit bigger so that works better on the right, and for another I didn't want something which covered the battery compartment. Although looking at Ken's pics, it looks like that's not such an issue after all...maybe I should try it on the right.

Like Ken, I secure the bottom end of the strap to the lug on an RRS Arca-type plate (mine's a flat plate, not an L plate) and the top end of the strap to a strap lug on the body.

My strap cost only £8...plus another £2 for postage. A tenner for an accessory that makes a real difference to my usage. Who said MFD is expensive? ;)

Ray