The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod / Tech question

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Also the As PO as mentioned is a nice light weight head for travel as mentioned the big limitation is I believe it will only tilt down about 15 degrees. Which sometimes can be a issue depending on what your doing but it is light weight a lot but very strong.

torger

The D4 is the lightest geared solution there is and is still a stable platform. So if you want geared, it's the right choice for sure. I know I rather carry a couple of hundred grams extra to get the gears than use a ballhead, but that's personal preference.

The tripod is more difficult, there's got to be a tradeoff. If it should handle hard winds, long lenses, highest resolution backs and full height without vibration issues it will become heavy, but say if you in hard winds only use it at low positions, or not plan to shoot in hard winds at all, you can get away with a lighter tripod. Lower tripods get lighter too of course. However I don't know of any good source to find out exactly how much you can compromise before vibration starts becoming an issue. May require some testing.

I use a gitzo series 3 tripod when hiking, but I see some of you get good results with series 2.

I think tripods with built-in leveling bases with pano function are really good when you want to combine low weight, high stability and good economy in one. However, it will depend on your shooting style if that works. One reason I went with the D4 is it's flexibility and wide movement range. On a long hike I don't want to end up seeing a great subject on the ground but not being able to point the camera down to make a photograph. Yes, 90% of the time I shoot with the camera level (and adjust horizon by shifting the back), but still 10% I point it up or down in varying degrees and sometimes a leveling head don't have the range I need.

Last edited:

Shashin

Also the As PO as mentioned is a nice light weight head for travel as mentioned the big limitation is I believe it will only tilt down about 15 degrees. Which sometimes can be a issue depending on what your doing but it is light weight a lot but very strong.
The P0 tilts down, or up for that matter, 90 degrees. But you are spot on about being a great travel head.

I forgot, I actually have a picture of my tripod and head with the 645D taking a 30 second exposure through a ND filter--note the little cover on the viewfinder to cut light coming in the back.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Will maybe its the P1 I'm thinking of. One if them has that limitation. Been awhile so I forget

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Gitzo 3532 LS.
It weighs just below 2 kg but can easily holds 500-600mm lenses (by Arthur Morris's claim). I've been using it with a Canon 400mm f/2.8 (heavier than 500mm) w/o any problems. It's more than adequate for any medium formats.
Pramote

Does anyone make a pan-tilt head that takes arca swiss plates?

I don't like ball heads, and the cube is overkill for my purposes.

alajuela

Does anyone make a pan-tilt head that takes arca swiss plates?

I don't like ball heads, and the cube is overkill for my purposes.
Hi

Have you looked at the D4 from Arca Swiss? They make a geared and non geared version.

Or look at the Induro PHQ3

Phil

alajuela

The induro looks, great, thanks. Never heard of the company.
Hi

Good Pan / Tilt and reasonably priced

Capture Integration in Atlanta 877 - 217 - 9870 - Ask for Dave - if he is unavailable anybody there can help - great guys, great service , great price

Thanks

Phil

mmbma

I use a Gitzo 1228 and the Linhof 3d Micro without quickfix.

The 1228 is as light as they come and still sturdy enough (you can tie a weight at bottom for windy situations). The 3d Micro is much smaller than the Cube although it sacrifices movement as it's a leveling head only.

The whole setup only weights about 6 pounds. Supports my Alpa XY plus lens and back just fine

miska

Hi,
I have a Gitzo G1227 mk 2, more than 10 years old. I am quite happy with it's rigidity, but it feels a bit heavy (like all tripods I suppose) when hiking with my Factum. I seem to remember it's rated at something like 8kg of load.

I am looking for new tripod legs, with about the same rigidity (or even a bit less) and height (about 160 cm, without central column, which I have removed).

So:
- Do you know what is the current Gitzo model corresponding to my 10-year old antique? Unfortunately, getting RRS products in Europe is a bit complicated, especially if you want to see them beforehand. Otherwise, I probably would have gone for the 1 series, although it is quit low.

- What the lightest Gitzo you would put your tech-cam on ? I also have a zero series Basalt Gitzo also, but that feel really flimzy (technical term) with any weight on it. So I'm guessing it would be a series 1 or 2 Gitzo. The Systematics are quite nice, but maybe overkill for hiking.

Thanks !

cly

Hi,
Unfortunately, getting RRS products in Europe is a bit complicated, especially if you want to see them beforehand.
I got a couple of RRS clamps etc. from Tier-Foto - Augenblicke-eingefangen Tierbilder aus MV - Fotos Tiere Bild Bilder.

Here's a link to the RRS tripods:

Dreibein-Stative - Karbon-Stative - Really Right Stuff - Augenblicke-eingefangen-Shop

Getting them shipped by from the States is no problem either - but, as your write, in this case you can't send them back.

As to Gitzo: I'd go for a carbon tripod in the Series 3 - I think this series is a good compromise between weight and stability.

Chris

alajuela

Hi,
I have a Gitzo G1227 mk 2, more than 10 years old. I am quite happy with it's rigidity, but it feels a bit heavy (like all tripods I suppose) when hiking with my Factum. I seem to remember it's rated at something like 8kg of load.

I am looking for new tripod legs, with about the same rigidity (or even a bit less) and height (about 160 cm, without central column, which I have removed).

So:
- Do you know what is the current Gitzo model corresponding to my 10-year old antique? Unfortunately, getting RRS products in Europe is a bit complicated, especially if you want to see them beforehand. Otherwise, I probably would have gone for the 1 series, although it is quit low.

- What the lightest Gitzo you would put your tech-cam on ? I also have a zero series Basalt Gitzo also, but that feel really flimzy (technical term) with any weight on it. So I'm guessing it would be a series 1 or 2 Gitzo. The Systematics are quite nice, but maybe overkill for hiking.

Thanks !
Hi

I certainly agree with ---- I also have a zero series Basalt Gitzo also, but that feel really flimzy (technical term) with any weight on it. So I'm guessing it would be a series 1 or 2 Gitzo. The Systematics are quite nice, but maybe overkill for hiking.

For my light weight set-up I go out with Cambo WRC 400 / HR 40 or SK 60, Distro, Gitzo series I (GT1541T - 4 sections and Gitzo just came out with a bag for this tripod head that actually works -- it is the second version) and P0 Arca Swiss ball head. I also put metal lens hoods on my lenses, so I don't take the compendium, this seems to work OK - if not extreme shifting etc.

This works well, If not really windy, and also you can hang your pack / bag from the hook on the center column / base. The A/S P0 in my opinion is superior to RRS (and I have both).

For next weight setup - I go out the Cambo AE maybe take 3 lenses, Distro, compendium I take the Gitzo 2 series GT2531 3 sections with A/S D4 or Cube. The RRS stuff tripod series 2 would be a good alternative.

The Gitzo or RRS series 3 I think is a bit overkill, I would consider series 3 if taking the DF and long lenses, not going to far from the Car or if really bad weather condition IE windy.

I have not any problems with my Gitzos I do like the RRS tripods, they have a very good complete system. Its funny - I have allot of RRS stuff and its the ball heads, (with exception of the monopod head - which is the best) that I like the least. A/S P0, P1, D4 Cube, and also Novoflex that I like much more than RRS Ball Heads. These are ones I have experiences with.

Thanks

Phil

miska

Thanks guys for all the suggestions ! I'll go and try to find series1 & 2 Gitzos, and see how they feel...

Philip, this sounds interesting:

> I also put metal lens hoods on my lenses, so I don't take the compendium, this
> seems to work OK - if not extreme shifting etc.

What kind of metal hoods do you use ? Do you have any pictures ? I didn't get the compendium : it looks too big, heavy and bulky for my use. But I think I need something to reduce flare. I was thinking of a screw-on rubber lens-hood of some kind, which you can extend more or less so it fits on all my lenses. But a metallic hood sounds good - probably even protects the front element...

alajuela

Thanks guys for all the suggestions ! I'll go and try to find series1 & 2 Gitzos, and see how they feel...

Philip, this sounds interesting:

> I also put metal lens hoods on my lenses, so I don't take the compendium, this
> seems to work OK - if not extreme shifting etc.

What kind of metal hoods do you use ? Do you have any pictures ? I didn't get the compendium : it looks too big, heavy and bulky for my use. But I think I need something to reduce flare. I was thinking of a screw-on rubber lens-hood of some kind, which you can extend more or less so it fits on all my lenses. But a metallic hood sounds good - probably even protects the front element...
Hi Miska

Here is a photo with the hood. I bought the hood locally (the name on the hood is "Pixel"), B&H also sells them. I use to use the rubber ones, the plus side is you can fold them back if you need to, but for some reason mine always came apart sooner or later. So This time I tried metal, Also like you I think the metal also gives a little more protection. You can also get plastic lens caps on put them in the hood, should you decide not to take the hood off.

Thanks

Phil

PS - I highly recommend a compendium or hood, - If you go the hood route, then make sure you have a piece of black cardboard - to act as flag if needed- when you find yourself shooting in the direction of the sun to avoid flare as sometimes the hood is not enough. Also you will get better contrast with a Hood or compendium.

Last edited: