The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

MB100

Which is why I don't really see the point of that particular combination. Manual focus is all you've got with this TC, and it's a real crapshoot: the focusing screen is going to be very dim at f9, the electronic focus confirmation won't work, and even changing to a Type C screen with focus aids is no use as they'll just black-out at f9.

I'd use the 500/4.5 APO (if I had one!) instead. Heck, even the 500/8 mirror would be preferable.

Ray
Look for my review of my 500mm f/4.5 APO lens coming soon! and don't worry I will be testing atleast my 300mm f/2.8 APO and possibly even the 500mm with the new 2x TC (I already know it works great with the M645 2x N TC) from schneider which it should be able to do...

steve_cor

Brian,
Do you expect the new 2X Schneider Teleconvertor to work with the 300mm f/4.5 APO? Phase one said it is compatible exclusively with three lenses. That means it won't work with any other lenses. But I don't see why not.

--Steve.

MB100

Brian,
Do you expect the new 2X Schneider Teleconvertor to work with the 300mm f/4.5 APO? Phase one said it is compatible exclusively with three lenses. That means it won't work with any other lenses. But I don't see why not.

--Steve.
Though I have heard that as well, I have also heard that compatibility is less so focused on whether or not the lens is say, electronically capable of it, but rather whether there is enough room, since the front element of the TC sticks out fairly significantly (possibly even more so then the M645 2x N which I have used with my 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5 apo lenses). the M645 2x N will not mount with the 300mm f/4.5 and there is also the issue that you cannot control the aperture. I do not know if the TC will communicate electronically with the 300mm f/4.5 APO but I suspect there should be enough room to possibly mount it, though again this did not work with the 300mm f/4.5 APO and the M645 2x N so it is hard to say at this point, though I will certainly report back.

Of course 2x-ing any of these lenses isn't exactly ideal from an aperture standpoint, but we would hope that as 600 f/8 or 600mm f/5.6 or 1000mm f/8 we would see some improvements with this $2000 USD TC over the inexpensive and older Mamiya M645 2x N which is no slouch as far as a TC can be concerned especially in the demanding arena of MFBD's.

I'm currently working on reviews of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4.5 APO in costa rica shooting with the M645 2x N as well as extension tubes, and apart from the images I had somehow labeled, its very difficult to tell whether a TC was used or not since the IQ is very very good (when the picture is in-focus and well exposed of course ;) )

yaya

I'm not blinking on this one until someone else takes the plunge and does the debugging. My experience with Phase One is that it doesn't pay to be first, or in my case 1348 even. (that's another long story that maybe I'll share when it's been resolved).

One the plus side, the Phase One glass I've bought has always been excellent. Luckily I missed their T/S super rotator round, although I had the original and Greyhand torments with images he takes with it here! The 240LS has been superb. :grin:

So Doug, when are the samples coming?
Tested it yesterday with the Mamiya 150mm/2.8 on a typical overcast, windy day on the river Thames. Nice to have a 300mm/5.6 in a smallish, lightish package!

Yair

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I believe Michelle passed on my observations to you by email.

Good optics.

Never "easy" to use long lenses with medium format, but no easier/harder with the [2X + 150mm] than say the 300mm. No autofocus (as mentioned throughout the thread) but you still maintain TTL focusing, focus mask, live view, and 100% on screen review to confirm you nailed a shot.