The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 2X Schneider Teleconvertor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Schneider 2X Teleconverter for Phase One Ecosystem

Quick Summary:
- for the Team Phase One platform (Mamiya, Leaf, Schneider, Phase One)
- designed for / compatible with the 240LS, 150LS, 150D
- manual focus only
- reduces aperture by two stops (as with any 2x convertor)
- shipping to begin in a few weeks
- $1990

Digital Transitions will of course be doing it's own testing and evaluation when we receive our first one, and will have it for rental, demo, and sales. If you have any questions in the meanwhile feel free to post them and we'll get them answered for you.

No 1.4x TC? I figure that would have been a more popular option given that 1.4's degrade image quality far less then 2x TCs, at least going by experience with every 35mm TC ever made ever.
Unless there already is one I'm not aware of.

ondebanks

No 1.4x TC? I figure that would have been a more popular option given that 1.4's degrade image quality far less then 2x TCs, at least going by experience with every 35mm TC ever made ever.
Unless there already is one I'm not aware of.
You're right, there is no 1.4x TC yet, despite frequent calls for one from the user base...and why they went with another manual focus 2x TC is a complete mystery.

$2000 :bugeyes:- is this the most expensive TC ever?

Ray - sticking with my $150 2x N TC :thumbup:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Yuk! $2,000? But I gotta have one anyway if the image quality is up to the cost. (Remember Dante?)

480 mm and f9 on MF....hmm. But manual focussing is fine - you're bound to be on a tripod with that combo. May need a crane to get it mounted....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You're right, there is no 1.4x TC yet, despite frequent calls for one from the user base...and why they went with another manual focus 2x TC is a complete mystery.

$2000 :bugeyes:- is this the most expensive TC ever?

Ray - sticking with my $150 2x N TC :thumbup:
Hmmm maybe the Leica R 1.4 . Can't remember how much I paid though

I agree been nice if this was a 1.4

2k if it sings than worth it. Maybe it will be around next month on workshop. Ill test it for sure if it is

ondebanks

480 mm and f9 on MF....hmm. But manual focussing is fine
Which is why I don't really see the point of that particular combination. Manual focus is all you've got with this TC, and it's a real crapshoot: the focusing screen is going to be very dim at f9, the electronic focus confirmation won't work, and even changing to a Type C screen with focus aids is no use as they'll just black-out at f9.

I'd use the 500/4.5 APO (if I had one!) instead. Heck, even the 500/8 mirror would be preferable.

Ray

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
$1990. *ouch*

I can't wait to use Graham's.... :ROTFL:
Ken, in your dreams :chug: I suspect that if it's good then it'll be a case of if you touch it you own it!

I'm interested in finding more about the support system for the lens/teleconvertor combination. I noticed on DT's site mention of the recommendation of some form of lens support as with the 240LS at least that will be a hunk of glass and metal hanging off the body.

I would assume that the Kirk or RRS lens support rails would be recommended.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken, in your dreams :chug: I suspect that if it's good then it'll be a case of if you touch it you own it!

I'm interested in finding more about the support system for the lens/teleconvertor combination. I noticed on DT's site mention of the recommendation of some form of lens support as with the 240LS at least that will be a hunk of glass and metal hanging off the body.

Phase is pushing a third party rail that they worked with during the development of the 2x adapter. I don't have any experience with it, but it should be pretty good. One would assume that RRS or Kirk would be able to accommodate their customers with a similar solution; I admit to not having a lot of experience with very long lenses so don't have a lot of knowledge regarding what support rails are able to support what kinds of lenses and what accessories/adapters/holders/customization is required between different lenses. If anyone reading this thread can contribute in that area I'm sure we'd all benefit! Also if anyone has a support system they want to test with the TC+lens we (Digital Transitions) would be glad to have you stop by with it and play to your hearts content (hopefully sharing your findings with us and with the forum).

kdphotography

RRS has done work for Phase, so you know it's gotta be good. :)

You are just set ready to go, Graham! You've already go the RRS lens support package----just gotta wait for the big brown truck to deliver your new 2x Schneider Teleconvertor!

:D

GrahamWelland

True. Though to be fair:
1) the other party has been making various lens support, rails, adapters etc for years
2) there are only so many ways to make a bar under the camera that holds up the lens :)

I found the link: Hejnar PHOTO
I couldn't agree more. Good for RRS to have competition too. I have one the Hejnar Manfrotto plate adapters myself - very nicely made and turns the 405/410 geared heads into more useful solutions with Arca plates. :thumbs:

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of some real world tests of the teleconverter before I jump in. It would be nice to have the extra reach with the 240LS on occasion.

2) there are only so many ways to make a bar under the camera that holds up the lens :)
Hehe, tell that to the cinema crowd, there are more rail systems than there are lenses.

Speaking of which, there are a lot of inexpensive cine rails due to the movie-recording DSLR boom, I wonder how many could be applicable for this purpose?

Strap gears on the focus ring and put a follow focus on, and you'll even be able to focus and look through the VF at the same time.

ondebanks

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of some real world tests of the teleconverter before I jump in. It would be nice to have the extra reach with the 240LS on occasion.
I'm looking forward to these tests too. I'm fascinated to see how they will cope with the focusing problems I identified a few messages up. This TC will be fine with the f2.8 lenses mentioned (150D and 150LS), but I really doubt it for the f4.5 lenses (240LS and 300AF). Live View is the only solution for them, I think. But only some backs offer Live View, and even then it is rather limited, I gather?

Ray

Ken, just watch... Graham already started looking into accessories. He is looking for a complete package. :)

GrahamWelland

I'm not blinking on this one until someone else takes the plunge and does the debugging. My experience with Phase One is that it doesn't pay to be first, or in my case 1348 even. (that's another long story that maybe I'll share when it's been resolved).

One the plus side, the Phase One glass I've bought has always been excellent. Luckily I missed their T/S super rotator round, although I had the original and Greyhand torments with images he takes with it here! The 240LS has been superb. :grin:

So Doug, when are the samples coming?