The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Entry Level MFD - Aptus 22 and H1?

timn420

I need some advice on purchasing an older (entry level) MFD system so that I can use it for portraits. I am mainly interested in getting the DOF look that I get with my older MF film cameras and just like shooting MF more then 35mm.

I currently own a Rollei 6006 professional, but I don't think that I can convert it to digital (please let me know if I'm wrong).

I was thinking maybe an H1 with an Aptus 22 back and just a 80mm lens. Or a Mamiya AFD if that would be better. Obviously these are old backs. I currently use a 5Dmkii for most of my work, but I like shooting MF film but can't afford the newer backs.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There's several options at the lower end that will still have good support (meaning still repaired, still supported in modern software, still available with some form of warranty).

In general the M platform is less expensive to build a starter kit from. An AFD1 or AFD2 body with two or three lenses is almost always a good bit less than an H1 with two or three lenses.

We have a variety of used digital backs, but no Aptus 22. It's a good back, with the major limitations being ISO and long exposure. If you're shooting only in-studio the ISO won't be a problem as you can simply pump in more strobe light. If you're shooting outside studio a back like a P30+ would offer significantly more flexibility in that regard.

Don't worry too much about them being "old" backs. The only relevant question is whether they will work for what you want to do with them, and warranty/service/condition considerations. In many applications an H25 from 2003 still beats the "latest and greatest" 5D Mark 3. You should become familiar with the limitations (slower rate of shooting, battery life, limited ISO, no video/movie mode etc etc) but as long as those limitations are not going to limit you in what you want to do then the release date is not, IMO, relevant.

Last edited:

Tibor

Mamiya 645 AFD II and Mamiya Sekor / Phase One AF 80mm f/2.8 D lens with Leaf Aptus 22 and one Fresnel light at 2.8, unretouched (below).

I love the Aptus 22, to me it is very filmlike, just like my favourite Fuji Pro 160NS emulsion (only at ISO 25) :thumbup:

Sooner or later you will (probably) also want the Mamiya Sekor / Phase One AF 150mm f/2.8 IF D lens (which is the best lens I have ever used) for close-up portraits, therefore I suggest the AFD II over the AFD I, because the I does not accept D lenses ;)

And for that DOF look just grab the old school all manual Mamiya Sekor C 80mm f/1.9 N. See my pic with that lens here http://www.getdpi.com/forum/analog-cameras/4209-more-more-film-fun-something-other-than-leica-m-62.html#post448259

timn420

Mamiya 645 AFD II and Mamiya Sekor / Phase One AF 80mm f/2.8 D lens with Leaf Aptus 22 and one Fresnel light at 2.8, unretouched (below).

I love the Aptus 22, to me it is very filmlike, just like my favourite Fuji Pro 160NS emulsion (only at ISO 25) :thumbup:

Sooner or later you will (probably) also want the Mamiya Sekor / Phase One AF 150mm f/2.8 IF D lens (which is the best lens I have ever used) for close-up portraits, therefore I suggest the AFD II over the AFD I, because the I does not accept D lenses ;)

And for that DOF look just grab the old school all manual Mamiya Sekor C 80mm f/1.9 N. See my pic with that lens here http://www.getdpi.com/forum/analog-cameras/4209-more-more-film-fun-something-other-than-leica-m-62.html#post448259

Great images! The portrait with the 1.9 is stunning.

You can't go wrong with an Aptus22. Its really the perfect starting DB for portraits and even then something newer is not necessarily needed or better.

PS: Nice pic Tibor!

markmullen

I've had my Aptus 22 for a couple of months now and love it, the files that come out are, in my opinion, much nicer than those from my Canon 5D3.

SergeiR

^^^ Doug about covered it all. As long as you know your gear and play with what you know - you are fine with old backs.

Then again - i personally dislike whole DOF game. In my opinion MF gear offers so much more than just silly games with blurring things out. But its just me.